uncannierlink

Negative Response to Role play.

Before you read this I should state that i realize it's the forums and I realize it's the internet and people are going to say stupid shit but it does slightly worry me.

In a thread I was reading there was a small RP exchange going on between 2 members(Wasn't in the pub in case you were wondering), and someone commented on how the exchange was "cringey" and the people were "kids." I know that this person is entitled top his opinion and can think whatever he wants, but this is still concerning for me. I feel that this kind of attitude is going to discourage people from really getting into character and Role playing.

It's the internet and this is a multiplayer RPG. It worries me that people are going to go into 2 players RP discussion and say "LOL check out these cringey kids they're role playing ew gay."

If no one RP's in this game it's going to turn into a grind fest where literally the only activities in the game are going to be the automated ones put into the game by the devs.

For my final point just imagine how much more fun Altis life would have been if the cops weren't such hard asses and RPed out a bribe every once in a while, or if the governor introduced a new law and the cops actually agreed to enforce it. That would be really cool. Except that if every time someone tries to RP another person comes over and says, "You're making a fool of yourself haha" when it already takes a lot of confidence to RP that cool stuff will never happen.

I'm not saying everyone has to RP and I'm not saying that everyone should RP (But that would be really cool). But I would like it to be that I don't have to join a private community server if I want to RP and that RP isn't looked down upon by a majority of the players.

What are you're thoughts?

I really think you are reading way to much into this. I didn't see the forum posts that you are talking about but I can imagine that people will react a little differently to RP when they are actually in an RP game and not just on the fourms.

This is one of the primary reasons we decided to go the route we did with Identity's servers. Each server is immensely configurable. The gameplay on an official server may be far different from that on a community server. Community servers can control just about everything, including disabling entire features of the game. It's our intention and hope that "hardcore" role-playing server communities pop up. I'd love to see community servers with more popularity than our official ones, should the right people get behind its control.

• Like 1

For those that want a medium-role playing experience and that stick to official servers only, it won't be as rewarding if on a community server? How will transferring of pledge rewards work from official servers to other player owned servers?

3 minutes ago, jcdock said:

I really think you are reading way to much into this. I didn't see the forum posts that you are talking about but I can imagine that people will react a little differently to RP when they are actually in an RP game and not just on the fourms.

Possibly. But It's also a reasonable assumption that they will react in a similar manner to the way they have reacted to roleplay previously. Now the instance I'm talking about IS anecdotal evidence and it could be the only time in the history of the forum that it has happened, but the hours I have put into the altis life servers are not. In my experience, people were very removed from the characters and the players just didn't want to RP because there was no benefit and a large risk of making a fool of yourself if the other guy is like "WTF are you doing."

10 minutes ago, Paratus said:

This is one of the primary reasons we decided to go the route we did with Identity's servers. Each server is immensely configurable. The gameplay on an official server may be far different from that on a community server. Community servers can control just about everything, including disabling entire features of the game. It's our intention and hope that "hardcore" role-playing server communities pop up. I'd love to see community servers with more popularity than our official ones, should the right people get behind its control.

The fact that you Specifically Want or at least hope a community server will be more popular than official servers is very encouraging to hear. The biggest problem with community servers vs. official servers is population and priority. The official servers are always at the top of the list. Do you have any plans to encourage players to try other servers aside from official ones?

There's different levels of role-playing.

Some servers will probably want you to create a RP character, in which you step into a different role and might have a different attitude rather than the real you. Always IC and never OOC. (Most likely servers where you can apply for whitelist to avoid players joining and breaking the RP rules).

Some servers will probably allow use of OOC, which will allow you to be yourself/have your own personality, but still be in a RP role, e.g, cop, criminal, businessman, worker. (Most likely public servers).

Both can be considered RP, but it's important to keep IC and OOC apart.

I'm not a huge fan of hardcore role-playing, but I'm still going to respect the role I've either as a cop or as a criminal.

5 minutes ago, Shimozukachi said:

i'm not sure but i think identity will have a anti griefer engine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shimozukachi said:

@Vix you're the biggest identity fan, am i right? xD

I sure hope so! :D I definitely know the most about it! Well, apart from devs and employees and mods because they have special dev sources... But I'm the one with a giant bookmark with 14 files with all the important tweets! >u<

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shimozukachi said:

@Vix will need you on my identity friendslist

Definitely. I'll be like in 1% of strippers with female voices. xD That's a valuable contact right there!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vix said:

Definitely. I'll be like in 1% of strippers with female voices. xD That's a valuable contact right there!

Relevant:

fry.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

Relevant:

fry.jpg

Oh I'm a vagina owner alright. xD

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Vix said:

13 year olds be like One hand on the Mouse One hand Elsewhere

• Like 2

I'm going to play the way it's meant to be played; but I'm not going to be screaming when I get shot or panting after I run. I wouldn't call it RP but I wouldn't act like it's a fictional game.

I wonder what the pricing for leasing/renting servers from Asylum will be. Could just rent my own.

I support role playing but I dont think that was the place or the time to be role playing to be honest with you
Sorry if I offended anybody but its quite obvious these are the friends of Kevin and they have been forced to make accounts so he can have higher rep
And they seem to be quite young

• Like 1

Man personally I love RPing. Grew up on it, taught me some values, i.e. leadership, communication, respect. But this was on GTA SA-MP, like 1000+ hours of it, and it was all text. But It'll be curious to see how VOIP will change the RP feel. I'm sure if there's a tightly knit community, i.e. the cops, or a certain gang/mafia, etc. Will have a TS server that they'll be in OOCly and when the time comes to RP then you can just switch to VOIP. I'm gonna try my hardest to RP as much as possible, no matter how awkward it gets. And if someone thinks I'm making a fool of myself, then I'll just walk away cause I don't need that shiznit. 

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Man personally I love RPing. Grew up on it, taught me some values, i.e. leadership, communication, respect. But this was on GTA SA-MP, like 1000+ hours of it, and it was all text. But It'll be curious to see how VOIP will change the RP feel. I'm sure if there's a tightly knit community, i.e. the cops, or a certain gang/mafia, etc. Will have a TS server that they'll be in OOCly and when the time comes to RP then you can just switch to VOIP. I'm gonna try my hardest to RP as much as possible, no matter how awkward it gets. And if someone thinks I'm making a fool of myself, then I'll just walk away cause I don't need that shiznit. 

Well you can always get some practice on Asylums Altis Life servers for Arma. But just a heads up, its casual RP with a focus on gunplay. So it won't be as great as some RP servers, but there is a reason why Asylum Altis Life servers have been the number 1 servers for about 2 years now.