JackTyme

Game being delayed? We shouldn't complain

Recommended Posts

Why we shouldn't complain? 

 

Well a little background, I have been playing MMOs since the mid 90s. And I have been PC gaming since the mid 80s. 

So from 1996 to 2017, not one developer whether it be AAA or indie has created or even tried to create a real life city MMO. (Like grand theft auto)

There are very few exceptions, All Points Bulletin was one of them. To me APB is not a real MMO because the game instances are limited to 50 cops and 50 robbers. 

The number can't go any higher. There maybe a few others I am not aware of. But I bet you can't count more than 10 MMOs that are set in a real life city, where u can enter in the interior's of buildings, drive cars,  perform cop/criminal actions etc. 

 

Now personally, I have been waiting for an MMO set in a real life city theme since the inception of the original GTA 3 game. I have been waiting a long long time for a developer(s) to do this. Basically GTA 5 + MMO (MMO being the massive amount of players in one city). I still can't believe to this day developers opt to make medieval themed games, or some fantasy, swords, orcs, dragons save the queen bull**** that has been played out for over a decade in the MMO genre.

 

I am somewhat angry at RockStar for not enabling more players to play together in GTA Online. RockStar responded with something like "GTA Online is not an MMO and will never be one". 

 

Now since I have been waiting 21 years for a GTA style MMO. I don't mind waiting a month or 10 for this game to come out. Hell i'll even wait another year for Identity to come out and be a full fledged functioning MMO. I  really don't mind waiting a month. What is one month wait, when I have been waiting over 2 decades for this type of game to be released to the masses.

 

Identity will be the only TRUE MMO that will be set in a metropolis. For this I am truly grateful. I thank Asylum for making my wish come true. And you guys take your time with this, as much as you need. Some games get delayed into vaporware, I presume this won't happen to Identity. And when it does release whether it be Alpha, Beta or retail, my wish will be a reality.

 

Thanks Asylum

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you've missed the point of the whole reason why people are upset with the devs. While the delay is certainly apart of it, most people that I've talked to about the situation are more concerned about the misinformation from the devs and how they are dealing with the PR of their project. Most of us can understand that delays can and probably will happen, but when a dev says that they are 100% certain about a release date and then go on about their being a 1/100000 chance a delay happens, only for a delay to happen a couple hours later, you can kinda see where there might be an issue with that.

I agree that certain things can't be helped and in most cases there really isn't any reason to complain about a delay, maybe annoyed, but that should be it. People feel lied to and used, and I'm pretty sure no one likes to feel that way.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NanoSpace said:

I think you've missed the point of the whole reason why people are upset with the devs. While the delay is certainly apart of it, most people that I've talked to about the situation are more concerned about the misinformation from the devs and how they are dealing with the PR of their project. Most of us can understand that delays can and probably will happen, but when a dev says that they are 100% certain about a release date and then go on about their being a 1/100000 chance a delay happens, only for a delay to happen a couple hours later, you can kinda see where there might be an issue with that.

I agree that certain things can't be helped and in most cases there really isn't any reason to complain about a delay, maybe annoyed, but that should be it. People feel lied to and used, and I'm pretty sure no one likes to feel that way.

 

This sums the entire situation up perfectly.  Nobody is going to be angered by honest percentages, so probably the best thing to do is for the developers to do the following.  Their task list (I assume they have one), weigh each item and add them together for a percentage.  In order to prevent game secrets from being stolen, just have the percentage visible; but this will help us all feel better to know the total percentage of task required, and how to set our expectations accordingly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New bugs are being found all the time. People get too hyped for a game and act like little bitches when it gets delayed. I'd be fine if this game got delayed until November. The community should just get used to dates being pushed due to more fixes. This was only one delay and it was for a month lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people had very high expectations, but I certainly agree there's things that need to be worked on. For example, I remember the community manager saying something like everything seems to be on track, then next day, John says in the developer blog that he'll delay for an extra month. But yeah, John is a perfectionist guy, he doesn't want players to have game breaking experience on Town Square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely forgot I posted this months back.  I was just trying to say, what Asylum is creating, no one else is doing this. If this game gets delayed another year it wouldn't bother me much, seeing as I have been waiting for over 20 years for a game like this. My post wasn't to anger others, sorry if it did.

Edited by JackTyme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game will be the best game ever created in the history of game creation, it may take some time to be absolutely perfect like we want it to be, but that's totally possible, seeming it's technology and not real life.    Yayyyyyyy,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ECorp said:

Another paid Asylum employee?

 

lol, just cause he supports the game?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i can see (and granted, i haven't interviewed every backer to find their personal views on the subject), the game is only 'delayed' because an arbitrary guesstimate of a release date wasn't accurate... There was no specific reason for the dates given to be what they were, other than "we're positive we can push this out to backers by this point."

Unfortunately, they were not correct in their timeline assessment. Mostly because Asylum are doing things that have not been done before. It is called "Game Development", not "Game Construction". If you aren't on the frontier, then you aren't innovating and you aren't trying.

Personally for me, I would like to see one thing come out of this issue... Paratus stops giving out dates. "It will be ready when it is ready."

It might not to be everyones satisfaction, but it would be far less worse than being seen to miss deadlines. It allows the team the time they need to push the game out that they are happy with when they feel it is ready rather than making a decision to release a buggy and broken product prematurely simply so they don't miss a deadline that they didn't even need to set in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are forgetting to take some major factors into account...This is their first game...Yes they've made some mistakes, as WE ALL DO. I really can't believe ppl are this critical, especially since Identity plans to be on a scale that's never been attempted before. Imagine, if you will, you start doing a project that you've been dreaming of, you set a deadline for yourself because things are moving along nicely and you would like to keep the people supporting in the loop. Then something unexpected happens and your deadline is missed...Now, you're upset yourself, disappointed that something out of your control happened, that couldn't be foreseen necessarily. But some people start giving you crap...You're already beating yourself up, like they could be any harder than we usually are on ourselves. 

Why is it that it actually takes Rockstar YEARS to make a game that's only life as a criminal, no one complaining to them... I don't understand how ppl can honestly sit here and criticize a team for trying to make one of the most ambitious games to date, as their very first game!  Rockstar has taken 7 or so years to make RDR2, and that's just life in the old west as a outlaw(criminal) cowboy. But somehow some of us expect a less seasoned team, with much less resources and man power to finish a game that's many times the size of games that have taken Rockstar  ACTUAL YEARS to make them...RDR2 is gonna be out in the fall, and we've only just started getting videos on it! It might not even be for PC as they never released the first one on PC. But let it take 2 years to make a module of one of the most complicated games I've ever heard of...one that can truly distinguish PC gaming from other platforms...and people are complaining it's take YEARS! lol it's been 2...I honestly see this game going into development hell, simply because so many people have no understanding of what goes into making a game like Identity. 

I don't get why people call this the "mater race" people don't want to pay for subscription services,  so cheater's run rampant, but release a stupid skin for your avatar or weapons, and people will shell out hundreds, and more, for that. I paid so much money for this rig, and yet most of the games I have are all the ones played on consoles anyway, there aren't very many games out there that utilize the potential that comes with all the money we spend on these way over priced components...I don't think people would pay Lamborghini money for their car if it was slightly better than a Honda. Why does my $650 gpu barely outplay, and certainly not by itself, a $500 console? Why do we pay so much for these components and they aren't even optimized...? How is it that a $500 system can play games in 4k with so much less than what a PC needs to run 4k? I don't feel like no "mater race" I feel like I joined the "sucker race". You wanna play games at a slightly better than a $500 console, then spend 2 grand on a PC...When we actually get developer's to try and utilize all that potential PC has to offer a game like Identity, it's actually held back by the very people who supposedly want to see it come to life...I spent $15-30 bucks where is my genre defining game!?!? It's taking too long it's been YEARS!  lol Welcome to the "master Race" Seems more like all those that call it the "master race" just do so to try and convince themselves they aren't idiots for spending that kinda of money to game on a PC.

This is just my perspective from gaming on PC for barely more than a year so far...90% of my games on PC I've already played on console. Simulators, old ass type games I played on 2d consoles, and a plethora of games, that I can't believe are actually games, that are played in 2018 on the "master race" platform, seem to be what set pc gaming apart from console...Atleast until games like Identity can start to take hold and gain some traction and support from their "master race". lmao "mater race" don't make me laugh. I feel like an idiot spending what I spent on this rig and have been plagued by so many more problems than I EVER had to deal with in 30+ years of console gaming...

Ok, let the hate begin...

Edited by JohnNYBlaze
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Phantomz said:

Are you aware of Arma 3 Altis life? Much better than GTA.

 

 

Are you aware of that up coming game called Identity? That will beat the living sh*t out of all other roleplaying games? Keep it up Identity devolopers. Im sure the wait is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 9:39 AM, LittleVic said:

Are you aware of that up coming game called Identity? That will beat the living sh*t out of all other roleplaying games? Keep it up Identity devolopers. Im sure the wait is worth it.

 

No shit sherlock, just giving him something better than GTA, something that is out and available and fit his description... Go be a smartasss elsewhere. Its upcoming, not out.

Edited by Phantomz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 7:39 AM, JohnNYBlaze said:

I think people are forgetting to take some major factors into account...This is their first game...Yes they've made some mistakes, as WE ALL DO. I really can't believe ppl are this critical, especially since Identity plans to be on a scale that's never been attempted before. Imagine, if you will, you start doing a project that you've been dreaming of, you set a deadline for yourself because things are moving along nicely and you would like to keep the people supporting in the loop. Then something unexpected happens and your deadline is missed...Now, you're upset yourself, disappointed that something out of your control happened, that couldn't be foreseen necessarily. But some people start giving you crap...You're already beating yourself up, like they could be any harder than we usually are on ourselves. 

Why is it that it actually takes Rockstar YEARS to make a game that's only life as a criminal, no one complaining to them... I don't understand how ppl can honestly sit here and criticize a team for trying to make one of the most ambitious games to date, as their very first game!  Rockstar has taken 7 or so years to make RDR2, and that's just life in the old west as a outlaw(criminal) cowboy. But somehow some of us expect a less seasoned team, with much less resources and man power to finish a game that's many times the size of games that have taken Rockstar  ACTUAL YEARS to make them...RDR2 is gonna be out in the fall, and we've only just started getting videos on it! It might not even be for PC as they never released the first one on PC. But let it take 2 years to make a module of one of the most complicated games I've ever heard of...one that can truly distinguish PC gaming from other platforms...and people are complaining it's take YEARS! lol it's been 2...I honestly see this game going into development hell, simply because so many people have no understanding of what goes into making a game like Identity. 

I don't get why people call this the "mater race" people don't want to pay for subscription services,  so cheater's run rampant, but release a stupid skin for your avatar or weapons, and people will shell out hundreds, and more, for that. I paid so much money for this rig, and yet most of the games I have are all the ones played on consoles anyway, there aren't very many games out there that utilize the potential that comes with all the money we spend on these way over priced components...I don't think people would pay Lamborghini money for their car if it was slightly better than a Honda. Why does my $650 gpu barely outplay, and certainly not by itself, a $500 console? Why do we pay so much for these components and they aren't even optimized...? How is it that a $500 system can play games in 4k with so much less than what a PC needs to run 4k? I don't feel like no "mater race" I feel like I joined the "sucker race". You wanna play games at a slightly better than a $500 console, then spend 2 grand on a PC...When we actually get developer's to try and utilize all that potential PC has to offer a game like Identity, it's actually held back by the very people who supposedly want to see it come to life...I spent $15-30 bucks where is my genre defining game!?!? It's taking too long it's been YEARS!  lol Welcome to the "master Race" Seems more like all those that call it the "master race" just do so to try and convince themselves they aren't idiots for spending that kinda of money to game on a PC.

This is just my perspective from gaming on PC for barely more than a year so far...90% of my games on PC I've already played on console. Simulators, old ass type games I played on 2d consoles, and a plethora of games, that I can't believe are actually games, that are played in 2018 on the "master race" platform, seem to be what set pc gaming apart from console...Atleast until games like Identity can start to take hold and gain some traction and support from their "master race". lmao "mater race" don't make me laugh. I feel like an idiot spending what I spent on this rig and have been plagued by so many more problems than I EVER had to deal with in 30+ years of console gaming...

Ok, let the hate begin...

 

Thinking this game will be better than a Rockstar game in any aspect outside of maybe roleplaying ability is only setting yourself up for disappointment. There's a reason they're considered the best developers in the industry, even by other critically acclaimed developers. They've been called the best by CDPR, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, and more. They will never match Rockstar in terms of world design and detail, high quality assets, graphical fidelity, writing, sound production, and more. 

Also, the scope for this game pales in comparison to Star Citizen. To say that it is beyond the scope of any game ever made is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by patrick68794

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 6:38 PM, EliMaxwell said:

New bugs are being found all the time. People get too hyped for a game and act like little bitches when it gets delayed. I'd be fine if this game got delayed until November. The community should just get used to dates being pushed due to more fixes. This was only one delay and it was for a month lol. 

 

I completely agree. People want to talk about delays? Half-Life 3. 'Nough said

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now