GeneSmith

Any Writers?

I was just wondering if any of you guys on the forums were writers of any kind. And if so maybe you could share your work with everybody.

Edited by GeneSmith

I'm the sports editor at my school's newspaper.

Edited by Calico
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Shimozukachi said:

does sometimes creating poems count?

Yeah man. Let's see what you've got!

11 hours ago, GeneSmith said:

Yeah man. Let's see what you've got!

I've been known to be pretty damn creative in my role plays which is something I'm actually pretty proud of, however I know little of how to structure a story.  I've also done some reviews in my time on an Amazon owned review site (Ciao) if you wanna check them out. Most of them are old though and I've got better since. However, they all recieved positive feedback, so here is my latest one. (The rest are on my account if you just click on kickapoo5)

http://dvd.ciao.co.uk/Inglorious_Basterds_Blu_ray__Review_6177314

I am co-writing a mystery novel with a friend and I've written a sci-fi short story, I'm also in the progress of writing a horror short story compilation based on japanese traditional spirits (horror is my genre of choice.)

I am also planning on some sci-fi novellas and shorts for a series I'm thinking of called the '2077 project' which is basically going to be stories from the future. So, I guess I am a writer xD

17 minutes ago, Bushido0 said:

I am co-writing a mystery novel with a friend and I've written a sci-fi short story, I'm also in the progress of writing a horror short story compilation based on japanese traditional spirits (horror is my genre of choice.)

I am also planning on some sci-fi novellas and shorts for a series I'm thinking of called the '2077 project' which is basically going to be stories from the future. So, I guess I am a writer xD

That's awesome man. Maybe you and I could collaborate on something. I write my own books and am currently halfway through one of then

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeneSmith said:

That's awesome man. Maybe you and I could collaborate on something. I write my own books and am currently halfway through one of then

I haven't published yet, I'm thinking about publishing my horror compilation though. What do you write ?

I was an English major for years. I no longer write, but I still help college students with their papers on occasion.

4 minutes ago, Bushido0 said:

I haven't published yet, I'm thinking about publishing my horror compilation though. What do you write ?

Well I'm currently writing about a world set in complete fantasy. But my main one is something very special that actually started as a comic I wrote. It's about a demon hunter with a much much much bigger story arch than that. And a good little twist

9 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

I was an English major for years. I no longer write, but I still help college students with their papers on occasion.

Do you not enjoy writing anymore or is it something else?

Oh, god, is that a story! In short, I lost my passion for writing in my postgraduate years. I started out as a psychology major, but became disenchanted with that after my sophomore year. But I had always loved writing and had been told since i was a wee lad that I should be a writer, so I pursued that for years. It threw me in a tailspin when I woke up one day and though "my god, i can't do this any more!" The very thought of putting pen to paper made me want to hurl. Rather than escape into a case of beer, I popped in the Indiana Jones crystal skull movie, which turned out to be my favorite movie in the franchise (minus the fact that it had Shia LaBeouf, can't stand that guy). I had never seen quartz before and found the crystal skull to be mystifying.

I went online to see if I could find a replica of the skull from the movie. I found replicas made out of resin, but no mini replicas of the skull. However, there are a ton of crystal skulls in other shapes. I bought one and became absolutely mystified with it. I started researching everything I could about quartz and minerals in general. One day, my fiance had made the smart-ass comment of "too bad you can't study minerals in college!" Well, as it turns out, I could. I made my first steps as a gemologist/gemologist appraiser about five years ago, and never looked back. So, what happened was I found a better fit for me than English, something that genuinely makes me excited to wake up every day, something that I sink hours upon hours in at a time, both as a hobby and as a career.

7 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Oh, god, is that a story! In short, I lost my passion for writing in my postgraduate years. I started out as a psychology major, but became disenchanted with that after my sophomore year. But I had always loved writing and had been told since i was a wee lad that I should be a writer, so I pursued that for years. It threw me in a tailspin when I woke up one day and though "my god, i can't do this any more!" The very thought of putting pen to paper made me want to hurl. Rather than escape into a case of beer, I popped in the Indiana Jones crystal skull movie, which turned out to be my favorite movie in the franchise (minus the fact that it had Shia LaBeouf, can't stand that guy). I had never seen quartz before and found the crystal skull to be mystifying.

I went online to see if I could find a replica of the skull from the movie. I found replicas made out of resin, but no mini replicas of the skull. However, there are a ton of crystal skulls in other shapes. I bought one and became absolutely mystified with it. I started researching everything I could about quartz and minerals in general. One day, my fiance had made the smart-ass comment of "too bad you can't study minerals in college!" Well, as it turns out, I could. I made my first steps as a gemologist/gemologist appraiser about five years ago, and never looked back. So, what happened was I found a better fit for me than English, something that genuinely makes me excited to wake up every day, something that I sink hours upon hours in at a time, both as a hobby and as a career.

Really that's the only important thing. Waking up and loving what you do. If you wake up and aren't happy with what you're doing then you're doing something wrong. Glad you found your passion man.

33 minutes ago, GeneSmith said:

Really that's the only important thing. Waking up and loving what you do. If you wake up and aren't happy with what you're doing then you're doing something wrong. Glad you found your passion man.

Yes, passion helps one endure the hiccups and hardships in their career choice. The final blow for me was a critical writing course. My advisor had told me that the course is about looking beyond the surface of material and really getting to the meat of the author's message. I was stoked about that; peeling back layers of great works. A tiny side effect of that, though,was a temporary inability to read and watch things  just for the sheer thrill of it. But the major part of what killed everything for me was that the course had turned me into a cynical d bag a little bit. I hadn't thought that critical writing involved shredding and criticizing the works of others. I thought critique meant assessment, evaluation of both good and bad parts of a work of literature. However, the course only focused on the negative aspects, and I loathed that. Cynicism is not in my nature. But yes, I'm far more passionate about gemology than I am writing. This career has it's challenges. just as English had. The difference is I find gemology's challenges exciting, while English's challenges made me sick. Different strokes for different folks :)

I used to write a lot of comedy stories which people seemed to enjoy but nowadays I hardly have the time with everything else going on. I keep thinking about picking it up again because I did enjoy it but...yeah.

i plan on becoming an author in game. Ive been writing a fantasy novel for about 12 years but keep losing progress due to hdd failure/ floods/ sisters throwing away written copies because they thought it was just trash papers lying about. So seeing as how i plan on writing in game most of the time, i'm not keen on sharing my work just yet. Just if you see any books in the book store with the name Jack Leyhe as the author, know that they are written by me and id really love some feedback on each book. I'll probably be splitting the single irl book into multiple books in game so people wont have to sit down and read a book the size of the bible in game. So i look forward to reading all genres that you all write. it'll be great to see the creativity flowing.

I actually do plan on writing a few books in my spare time for the guys in Identity to enjoy.

Hopefully most of the player base is mature people that enjoy reading, as it would be pretty lame if nobody took the time to enjoy my writings.