Frenchy

Combat Logging

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm curious to how the devs are going to tackle disconnecting during combat or a similar activity, for example you could be a criminal running away from the police and you could just disconnect and they will never be able to find you catch you, this will get frustrating and I wish to ask if there is anything in place to stop this from happening. 

Problem with that is every official server will be somehow linked together as an instance, the body will have to disappear on s1 to appear in s2. Suddenly overcrowded areas with logged people that you cannot interact with seems weird, hundreds of bodies laying around in the streets for a scenario. It is not yet said how this will be approached to my knowledge.

It is said tho, if you are wanted on s1 you will be wanted on s2 even if logged out or switched server.

• Like 1

Continuing on with what @fuzz said; your name will come up in the logs, and you will probably be remembered for future punishment. I don't know if there is really anything you can do about that. I hope the Devs figure something out though as this is a large issue.  

11 minutes ago, AndrewDonaldson said:

Continuing on with what @fuzz said; your name will come up in the logs, and you will probably be remembered for future punishment. I don't know if there is really anything you can do about that. I hope the Devs figure something out though as this is a large issue.  

maybe logout penalty waiting times and higher bounty :D

@Shimozukachi Well there is no silver lining here, I hope there is a way to figure this out :P You might lose connection and someone take advantage of that and kidnap you, then will your body still be in game or not. Some might even take the chance with logout penalty when hiding and succeed. It is truly complex. It is all up to the devs setting the rules and private servers will most likely have their own settings for this.

@AndrewDonaldson Yes exactly, that's what I mean. It will obviously not be enabled to alter this in any way except if you die or get caught.

• Like 1

There will be in game mechanics to prevent Combat logging, such as logout timers.  There will also be a reporting system for people who manage to circumvent the ingame mechanics and/or violate other rules. 

I already asked this and the answer is simple
They will do it like DayZ did, leaving the body standing for an X amount for time but not forever

5 hours ago, Fabulous said:

I already asked this and the answer is simple
They will do it like DayZ did, leaving the body standing for an X amount for time but not forever

Well I was too slow to even get to put it. I was going to say the same thing. just without a dayz quote. Because imagine say 100 people lost connection to the server at a given time, that would cause serious lag and i know it would e highly unlikely for it to happen. but if it did occur then that would cause issues.

I know the game won't have AI controlled pedestrians, but what about an alternative. when the player logs out, their character becomes AI controlled. A character running from the police would surrender, one driving a car would continue to do so (instead of stopping in the middle of the road, or crashing). this would prevent people disappearing, or simply stopping suddenly. then the game could despawn them when needed(maybe when not in view of players).

• Like 3

On 2/18/2016 at 4:36 AM, tastesliketriangle said:

I know the game won't have AI controlled pedestrians, but what about an alternative. when the player logs out, their character becomes AI controlled. A character running from the police would surrender, one driving a car would continue to do so (instead of stopping in the middle of the road, or crashing). this would prevent people disappearing, or simply stopping suddenly. then the game could despawn them when needed(maybe when not in view of players).

@Paratus @Motown LISTEN TO THIS INDIVIDUAL

On 2/18/2016 at 9:36 PM, tastesliketriangle said:

I was about to start a thread about this but figured I'd just bring this one back. 

This idea is perfect! I was thinking when you logout there should be a short timer, longer if you are or recently were in combat, or wanted by police.

If you logout when police are chasing you, your character should surrender.

If you logout in a busy part of town, the ai should just walk/drive towards your house or apartment until it can despawn when nobody's near it.

If you are killed during this time you should be fully lootable to encourage people to log out in a safe place on their own

Edited by WillyVortex

8 hours ago, WillyVortex said:

I was about to start a thread about this but figured I'd just bring this one back. 

This idea is perfect! I was thinking when you logout there should be a short timer, longer if you are or recently were in combat, or wanted by police.

If you logout when police are chasing you, your character should surrender.

If you logout in a busy part of town, the ai should just walk/drive towards your house or apartment until it can despawn when nobody's near it.

If you are killed during this time you should be fully lootable to encourage people to log out in a safe place on their own

Well... Youd drop everything but youre apperance. But yeah. Sounds good to me.

7 hours ago, Stelland1234 said:

Well... Youd drop everything but youre apperance. But yeah. Sounds good to me.

Well yeah I just mean it should be the same as dying any other time. Imagine Tom has $100k on him and Bill tries to rob him, tom can't just logout and disappear instantly. He's still at risk of losing his 100k. That would definitely make people think twice before logging out to escape a dangerous situation, since their character wouldn't escape it at all

• Like 3