jabba_the_slut

actual roleplay/rp in other games

if you've ever played some garry's mod dark rp, some servers will make some roleplay mechanics manditory. as an example, if somebody points a gun at you, you HAVE to obay there commands (as per the server rules) most of the time this is refered to as fear rp, so i will use that term here.

i personally  think that in a gamemode like dark rp, fear rp is how the game SHOULD be played. other rules most servers enforce are things like gundealers must own a store, cops cant print money, no mugging while tons of people are around ect. what all theese rules do is essentially make it manditory to follow what a real life situation would play out like, and i personally belive thats just how rp games/gamemodes should go.

the main problem i had with altis life was the utter lack of any sort of rp, they where soley relying on raw game mechanics to play out for them. if somebody was trying to mug them they had no reason to comply. this was kind of sad for me and ruined the experiance slightley.

i know this kind of branches away from the way identity but still, lets descus. do you think that actual ropleplay would be better for theese sorts of games (and identity to) 

(sorry for the spelling xD)

I've played a lot of RP mods in games like Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2 Mutliplayer, and ArmA 3.  There are Altis Life servers in ArmA 3, such as ArmA 3 Life, AltisLife.co.uk, and Critical Gaming that take roleplay very seriously, and have strict rules that they enforce, but also require a grueling application and interview process to enter. However, Asylum's Altis Life, which is what most people experience when they play Altis Life for the first time, is branded as 'Lite-RP' community where RP rules are not heavily enforced, but encouraged instead through gameplay mechanics.

We realized early on that we weren't going to be able to compete with modded servers who have a greater control of immersion. When given the choice between a modded Altis Life community like A3L, and vanilla Altis Life community like Asylum, we simply can't compete with the server that can have real police cars, uniforms, cities, and interior spaces. So, we opted instead for PVP and gang warfare, much like Wasteland, or King of the Hill, where players can simply jump in and go.

Identity aims to be a bit different, but of course now, we run into a different challenge. Now we can control immersion and user experience, but we can't control the population on official servers, which we predict will be too large a crowd to manage with such a small team, unless we hire GM staff , or volunteers who play the role of rule enforces (something we plan to experiment with). So we must rely on private server communities to offer that greater level of control where strict rules can be applied. Private servers will share the same server browser space as official servers, and it is our hope that from doing this, people will not distinguish one from the other, in order to find a private community where they can roleplay comfortably within a ruleset that they agree with.

i imagen that yes some ommunity servers will add rules ect to further promote rp. but a game like identity can still be great in its own right without super serious rp. and i do think its worth experimenting with some sort of rule enforcing volenters. i can see that manditory serious rp would not benifit official servers that would be THAT large in size (player number wise) as it can be quite daunting or even deter newer players, and a HUGE server would be quite dificalt to moderate. i have been on large gmod servers before and its bloody chaos unless theres constant moderation.

but hey, anythings possible :)

Constant moderation?

2 minutes ago, jabba_the_slut said:

i imagen that yes some ommunity servers will add rules ect to further promote rp. but a game like identity can still be great in its own right without super serious rp. and i do think its worth experimenting with some sort of rule enforcing volenters. i can see that manditory serious rp would not benifit official servers that would be THAT large in size (player number wise) as it can be quite daunting or even deter newer players, and a HUGE server would be quite dificalt to moderate. i have been on large gmod servers before and its bloody chaos unless theres constant moderation.

but hey, anythings possible :)

So why don't our developers enable rules that state whatever for careers, if your a criminal for example, it would be part of your code of conduct to not kill civilians, as a policeman, it would be to take evidence to the station, ect. We just need to find where the cracks are and fill them with cement. If a person is killing everyone, well, he will end up imprisoned for awhile, as i heard, kidnapping was possible. 

Regardless, it shouldn't take constant moderation if we find out where the holes are and plug them, it might be constant vigilance for awhile while game starts up and updates alter it, but until there's a glass without a crack, we just keep adding tape til it's not leaking any more.

More so, you are representing a company when your a criminal, if your in that group, you abide by their rules- so it shouldn't be hard to apply to the gang, and get locks placed on you(in a sense) you'll go to aim at a civilian but can't shoot because they aren't armed, something like that is what I'm referring to.

i think you're right. a game like identity does allow for alot more to be done than just a mod for a game. just the simple fact that if the devs want something done they can do it. just requires a little thought and hopefully the initiiative for players to follow the rp through.

(continuing with the metophors)

identity is clay, we can shape it as we wish and with enough time it will be near perfect.

• Like 1

You guys don't seem to get it, it's not there's only going to be official servers, pretty much anyone can make their own server with their own rules.

If you want a hardcore RP session, someone will most likely make a server like that.

Same goes for Light RP servers.

2 minutes ago, Atmosphere said:

You guys don't seem to get it, it's not there's only going to be official servers, pretty much anyone can make their own server with their own rules.

If you want a hardcore RP session, someone will most likely make a server like that.

Same goes for Light RP servers.

18 minutes ago, jabba_the_slut said:

i imagen that yes some ommunity servers will add rules ect to further promote rp.

as i said here, yes there will be tons of community servers each promoting/not promoting various amounts of rp to suit the players tastes. 

2 minutes ago, jabba_the_slut said:

as i said here, yes there will be tons of community servers each promoting/not promoting various amounts of rp to suit the players tastes. 

Honestly I just read your OP

I honestly dont like the idea of everyone running their own servers (kind of ironic that i run my own servers :p)
This type of game needs a large open world to work, i can see the sides will always skew towards crime based players .. you get to a point where its KoS and everything runs wild.
Although i havent seen the in-game mechanics ...
When people create their character, do they create their traits ... e.g a medic cannot use a gun ...

i would prefer this to be MMO, you can probably support extra devs using in-game purchasing (not pay to win), subscriptions (pay for a better house... dont pay you get evicted).
I see huge potential in this game but if you mix Offical with Community servers, there will be too many servers out there to really make use of the game.

and dont get me started on hackers ... hope you have a plan for that as thats a real game killer.

Edited by DrunkMunki
stupid typos
  • Like 5

yes you brung up alot of good points, when i first came across identity i thought it was gona be like an mmo all synced across all servers.

community servers arn't all bad though, allowing players to choose how THEY want identity to be played.

If everybody can make their own server so easily there is no way we can fill up enough job positions on most servers then, there are so many jobs that have to be done and in most cases there wont be enough people to do them then.
Obviously the problem can be fixed by joing a server with alot of people but I can already say ahead of time that the server browsing page will be filled with servers that have no more than 5 players in them

• Like 3

So remove the community built idea and let the devs have 3 servers period.

Life rp, heavy rp, and whatever else. Just keep it like 6 dif servers for the world so that we don't come across servers with 5 players in them?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

So remove the community built idea and let the devs have 3 servers period.

Life rp, heavy rp, and whatever else. Just keep it like 6 dif servers for the world so that we don't come across servers with 5 players in them?

I feel like this would be a good thing to do, of course we don't know the numbers of people that will be playing the game once it releases. I know just from looking at games like Arma or garrys mod though that they have that issues of many servers with little to no players on them. 

If you're a developer, you have to maintain your game like a gun. Otherwise you get glitches and jamming. Good game=moderators and developers are here to help.

The devs have talked about this in an interview before. They have said that it is very easy for them to set up a server, so at first they will start with few, and add more if demand is high, or maybe increase amount of players on servers. 

5 minutes ago, Nave95 said:

I feel like this would be a good thing to do, of course we don't know the numbers of people that will be playing the game once it releases. I know just from looking at games like Arma or garrys mod though that they have that issues of many servers with little to no players on them. 

Please try to keep conversation on the Identity forums civilized. Several posts have been hidden in order to keep the conversation on topic. Thank you!

• Like 2

On 1/1/2016 at 3:04 PM, jabba_the_slut said:

if you've ever played some garry's mod dark rp, some servers will make some roleplay mechanics manditory. as an example, if somebody points a gun at you, you HAVE to obay there commands (as per the server rules) most of the time this is refered to as fear rp, so i will use that term here.

i personally  think that in a gamemode like dark rp, fear rp is how the game SHOULD be played. other rules most servers enforce are things like gundealers must own a store, cops cant print money, no mugging while tons of people are around ect. what all theese rules do is essentially make it manditory to follow what a real life situation would play out like, and i personally belive thats just how rp games/gamemodes should go.

the main problem i had with altis life was the utter lack of any sort of rp, they where soley relying on raw game mechanics to play out for them. if somebody was trying to mug them they had no reason to comply. this was kind of sad for me and ruined the experiance slightley.

i know this kind of branches away from the way identity but still, lets descus. do you think that actual ropleplay would be better for theese sorts of games (and identity to) 

(sorry for the spelling xD)

Honestly I feel like this is very inaccurate. There are tons of bad neighborhoods where people for lack of a better term. Don't give a flying (edit) if there are people around. Or are willing to fight back in case of a robbery. Also just like in real life you really do have no reason to comply except for the fact that you may die. I guess you can have a punishment of 15-30 minutes of you being locked out of that character as a death penalty. But other than that I don't think there should be different rules. Things in life play out differently, nothing is concrete.

Edited by Aetion
Not sure if cursing is allowed or not.

To continue on having a simple time penalty for death is just enough. I think this can possibly be an exception for cops. Maybe a reduced time penalty. For instance if players had a 15 minute penalty, then police have a 5 minute penalty.

There should also be a little news tab. Maybe at the bottom like "A man was killed near Parkinson Avenue, police have yet to find a suspect, possible cause is gang violence) and things like that would probably help reduce people who want to randomly kill. But I doubt people will RK if (this has nothing to do with politics irl. Because this is simply a game) everyone or mostly everyone will probably have a gun or weapon of some sort.

I think doing rules like that will take off the RP from criminals and only work for law abiding citizens. I could have sworn that was the reason we will have a police force capable of dealing with this.

2 hours ago, Aetion said:

Honestly I feel like this is very inaccurate. There are tons of bad neighborhoods where people for lack of a better term. Don't give a flying (edit) if there are people around. Or are willing to fight back in case of a robbery. Also just like in real life you really do have no reason to comply except for the fact that you may die. I guess you can have a punishment of 15-30 minutes of you being locked out of that character as a death penalty. But other than that I don't think there should be different rules. Things in life play out differently, nothing is concrete.

considering we are talking about a normal city/town, a think somebody would care if a gun was pointed in there face. fear is more powerfull than you would think. not to mention the fact that in real life, reaching for your gun, drawing and then fring is a longer process than just swiching to the gun in your inventory.

1 minute ago, jabba_the_slut said:

considering we are talking about a normal city/town, a think somebody would care if a gun was pointed in there face. fear is more powerfull than you would think. not to mention the fact that in real life, reaching for your gun, drawing and then fring is a longer process than just swiching to the gun in your inventory.

Like I said, there should only be a death penalty. So that therefore the fear is left to the person who has a gun pulled on them. Some who are unarmed will be screwed and most likely comply. Some will run, or pull out their gun, etc. Even then if worse comes to worse and the guy trying to rob you kills you he'll just take your stuff anyways. Only difference is you'd have the death penalty. Normal city or not, it still depends on the person, trust me.