Sign in to follow this  
Delta1168

Lets talk about roleplay

As we all know the aim for this game is strict roleplay, and it is to be played similar to real life. However, my main concern is as like everyone mentions. RDM, lack of RP, and also the inability to get everyone on board with the concept. When I play this game, I want to escape the bs that occurred in life mods. Being that I want to have my character a police officer, I don't want to have the fear of getting killed every second of everyday for no reason. Let me explain what I think RDM is. RDM is pretty much killing without roleplay. An example of this would be:

I'm responding to a call and a random car just blocks the road before i can do or say anything, i'm killed. I'm pretty certain that i can say for others we want to model real life in this game, so what can we do to stop this? strict rules? i know every server will handle this differently, but before the release can we get together and actually agree to just RP like we are meant to, and if you want to kill on top of kill, guys there are plenty of great games out there. 

lastly, lets leave on a proper kill situation: lets say we have two gangs, gang A and gang B. a Member of Gang B walks into claimed territory of Gang A and is warned by the members of gang A that they need to leave, if he doesn't then yeah a shootout can happen. That's one of many situations that can happen civ vs civ. Police vs civ is no different. As a cop, yeah it can be annoying getting killed but the reality is when you stop someone there's always risk. Id love to see a foot pursuit that turns into a shootout, that's great and that's roleplay. we don't know if we have the ability to shoot from car windows or not but if I approach a car and the guy is a known criminal, sure shoot me when i approach, but let the roleplay at least begin. things like that happen, maybe not a lot, but it should work the same in game. My judgement for RDM is based off of real life, If certain things happen in real life (like mentioned above) then sure let it happen in game. but not all of the time because it doesn't happen all of the time in real life. 

Argument: No one can say this isn't real life because the goal is to model it, so sorry try again. 

But lets have a conversation about this, agree or disagree lets contribute our thoughts.

• Like 1

People can only roleplay for so long before their concentration wanders or they get bored, it happens with me a lot. But unlike on other games, I think once people begin to lose their focus on roleplay they should quit the game, instead of pissing about like I always used to do.

15 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

People can only roleplay for so long before their concentration wanders or they get bored, it happens with me a lot. But unlike on other games, I think once people begin to lose their focus on roleplay they should quit the game, instead of pissing about like I always used to do.

I can agree with you as well as disagree. As far as the concentration, you nailed it. The reason I disagree is because there isn't an excuse to get bored. The developers are constantly adding new things plus the hundreds of things to do and even buy are too much to get bored of. Say you get everything in the game at a given time, the devs already have new things for you to do until they run out of ideas. Which you can never stop making a game better and adding small things.  The things we've seen or "confirmed' are subject to change and there are plenty of unknown features we need to discover and find out ourselves. 

5 minutes ago, Delta1168 said:

I can agree with you as well as disagree. As far as the concentration, you nailed it. The reason I disagree is because there isn't an excuse to get bored. The developers are constantly adding new things plus the hundreds of things to do and even buy are too much to get bored of. Say you get everything in the game at a given time, the devs already have new things for you to do until they run out of ideas. Which you can never stop making a game better and adding small things.  The things we've seen or "confirmed' are subject to change and there are plenty of unknown features we need to discover and find out ourselves. 

Nahhhh, even if the game is brilliant I can only play it for so long before getting bored. It's a good thing anyway, people should go outside every once in a while.

4 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

Nahhhh, even if the game is brilliant I can only play it for so long before getting bored. It's a good thing anyway, people should go outside every once in a while.

That's true, but not everyone is like you and I, some people use games to get away from reality in a sense. Heck when i'm not playing baseball, practicing or at the gym, i need a mental break and just play a few games. Which this game might make it hard to put down because of my thoughts and the way it is hyped.

11 minutes ago, Delta1168 said:

That's true, but not everyone is like you and I, some people use games to get away from reality in a sense. Heck when i'm not playing baseball, practicing or at the gym, i need a mental break and just play a few games. Which this game might make it hard to put down because of my thoughts and the way it is hyped.

You're misinterpreting what I am saying. I'm not associating the eventual boredom with the game, but more with the natural mental process of wanting to change scene, activity, posture etc.

6 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

You're misinterpreting what I am saying. I'm not associating the eventual boredom with the game, but more with the natural mental process of wanting to change scene, activity, posture etc.

You're probably right. I understand what you are saying, and I do agree with you from your aspect.

In real life most people are not so serious. I've been on arma and darkrp. Most people rp like freaking robots,they're super serious. No one behaves like that in real life..well not normal people at least. This is a game. I'm not saying kill everyone and shit but don't take it too seriously.

On 12/5/2016 at 0:39 PM, FishFace said:

In real life most people are not so serious. I've been on arma and darkrp. Most people rp like freaking robots,they're super serious. No one behaves like that in real life..well not normal people at least. This is a game. I'm not saying kill everyone and shit but don't take it too seriously.

I've had the opposite experience. People always acted like dumbasses and tried to be "funny" when they RP. That could be because I play on high pop servers though.

At least on official servers I'm pretty certain 'RDM' is allowed and the developers have systems which try to heavily discourage it, but can't ultimately stop you from doing it. However I'm sure some server owners will enforce strict rules against RDM but I would find it super boring and annoying getting pulled up by an admin every time I killed someone because they think its RDM.

Like I said, you don't need a reason to kill people, but there are systems in place which try to deter you from killing. What these systems are however I have no clue.

12 hours ago, Shadow765 said:

I think in the official servers, there will be admins/mod patrolling the game

13 hours ago, JAWZ said:

Like I said, you don't need a reason to kill people, but there are systems in place which try to deter you from killing. What these systems are however I have no clue.

@Shadow765 I think that official servers won't have moderators/ staff doing that because it will be more lax than strict e.g. official servers usually are casual rp. @JAWZ has the right idea, the system which will be in place will stop excessive killing. So if you did want to have a serial killer character, you would need to kill your victims in a pattern like 1 every hour or something like 3 a day. Official servers will not be super serious but there will be systems in place to regulate things so people don't come on just to troll and ruin the game play for others. Also @JAWZ you might not want to stay in character all the time and now and then rdm someone, but you killing that someone may not like you breaking the rules for your own benefit and so how would you like it if you worked so hard for something and I just came up to you and rdm'ed you. You will not like that" so don't think its ok every now and then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesLuck01 said:

@Shadow765 I think that official servers won't have moderators/ staff doing that because it will be more lax than strict e.g. official servers usually are casual rp. @JAWZ has the right idea, the system which will be in place will stop excessive killing. So if you did want to have a serial killer character, you would need to kill your victims in a pattern like 1 every hour or something like 3 a day. Official servers will not be super serious but there will be systems in place to regulate things so people don't come on just to troll and ruin the game play for others. Also @JAWZ you might not want to stay in character all the time and now and then rdm someone, but you killing that someone may not like you breaking the rules for your own benefit and so how would you like it if you worked so hard for something and I just came up to you and rdm'ed you. You will not like that" so don't think its ok every now and then.

Can you even be a serial killer? Wouldn't that be called a RDMer?

Edited by Shadow765

18 minutes ago, Shadow765 said:

Can you even be a serial killer? Wouldn't that be called a RDMer?

No, that would be a spree killer, not a serial killer.

What we are really talking about here is having some common sense. The single most important thing about role play in Identity will be balance, finding that balance between ordinary every day life, & high tension situations. Shootouts, robberies, murders etc are all very well and good, but just like anything else, if you over do something then it becomes mundane......it gets boring.

Think of it this way: Most 'life; games I've seen do not really reflect life, they're more like watching CNN or any other news channel, killings, robberies,drug deals blah blah blah, when in reality most people can spend their entire lives without ever seeing a violent death. And yes, Identity is not real life, it's a game....fair enough, but then Identity should be about people living their dreams too, not just about creating nightmares.

This should not have to be rocket science guys, in Identity you barely even have to role play, it's a modern day setting so you can really just be yourself, all you really have to do is 'pretend' to be in a different job......simple and basic CAN be just as effective, everything does not have to be over complicated to be good. Take me for example, I used to be a police officer in Britain, my best friend is also a cop but in America, & I always wondered what that was like......so in Identity I'm going to be......yup, a US Cop.

Good role play needs reasoning, in short, if what you are doing does not, or will not, serve a story or enhance the server you are playing on, then don't do it. Other players are NOT in game to be used as pawns for your 'fun'....like in the example the OP gives, if it's not fun for both parties involved then you'll begin to loose players, and if that happens then you'll have no store owners, no cops, no truck drivers, no doctors, no medics, no airline pilots, no garbage collectors, no artists, no musicians,.....all you be left with will be the shooters.

Identity could, and should, be more than cops and robbers but only we, the players, can make that happen.

@Delta1168 I think you bring up some interesting points. I agree on some and disagree on some, but generally I believe this does need to be a discussion. Hopefully everyone is here because they want to Role Play on a game that is trying its best to advocate it and host it. There is going to be  a lot of content and that should help break up some of the boredom, but like it has been said, if you are bored just go do something else for a bit. With regards to situations (for police) like the incident you described where a car was in the road and  you pulled up then got shot out of nowhere, how can you immediately judge that was not role play? what if the person that shot you is role playing somebody that decided to start killing cops? I'm playing devils advocate there to make a point. That is a gray area of play, because I can see your point of view of it as well. There are some things that just don't make sense, even for a role play game. The key to making the role play on identity the best experience is a fair and balanced set of rules and as well as good communication between the base community, moderators, and the developers. Establishing good report and trust with one another should be a huge goal for the developers, moderators, and the members of the community that want to have a fulfilling experience in the game. I hope to interact with you more in the future and potentially meet you in game.

Ask the questions that need to be asked. :)

Family First, Mission Always. Stay Safe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Indoorseeker said:

@Delta1168 I think you bring up some interesting points. I agree on some and disagree on some, but generally I believe this does need to be a discussion. Hopefully everyone is here because they want to Role Play on a game that is trying its best to advocate it and host it. There is going to be  a lot of content and that should help break up some of the boredom, but like it has been said, if you are bored just go do something else for a bit. With regards to situations (for police) like the incident you described where a car was in the road and  you pulled up then got shot out of nowhere, how can you immediately judge that was not role play? what if the person that shot you is role playing somebody that decided to start killing cops? I'm playing devils advocate there to make a point. That is a gray area of play, because I can see your point of view of it as well. There are some things that just don't make sense, even for a role play game. The key to making the role play on identity the best experience is a fair and balanced set of rules and as well as good communication between the base community, moderators, and the developers. Establishing good report and trust with one another should be a huge goal for the developers, moderators, and the members of the community that want to have a fulfilling experience in the game. I hope to interact with you more in the future and potentially meet you in game.

Ask the questions that need to be asked. :)

I think in this statement "With regards to situations (for police) like the incident you described where a car was in the road and  you pulled up then got shot out of nowhere, how can you immediately judge that was not role play? what if the person that shot you is role playing somebody that decided to start killing cops?" That was my point that I was making, being on the receiving end of that, i wouldn't mind that happening every once in while because it happens. My point of that was saying if it is repetitive it's a problem. As you said there is a lot of grey area with RDM and that's when as you mentioned, the mods and admins need to be disciplined enough to make these decisions. Plus people need to understand That RDM in real life is a thing, but it doesn't happen all the time which is my argument. 

4 hours ago, Delta1168 said:

My point of that was saying if it is repetitive it's a problem. As you said there is a lot of grey area with RDM and that's when as you mentioned, the mods and admins need to be disciplined enough to make these decisions. Plus people need to understand That RDM in real life is a thing, but it doesn't happen all the time which is my argument. 

@Delta1168 thanks for adding some clarification. I do agree that we will need admins and moderators to be disciplined enough to make the right decisions, as well as mature, fair, and unbiased. Players also need to take the time to make legitimate reports.