Sign in to follow this  
Doella

What do you guys thin - is it cool...

... to slightly photoshop a photo of Al Gore’s house in Montecito and call it concept art?

1504 E Mountain Dr, Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Courtesy of Plausibly_insane (redditor).

• Like 3

Yikes...................Is it legal to photoshop actual places and claim it's concept art? Just wondering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doella said:

... to slightly photoshop a photo of Al Gore’s house in Montecito and call it concept art?

1504 E Mountain Dr, Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Courtesy of Plausibly_insane (redditor).

I get that you are a bit shocked but let me ask you this, how did you find this out? Are you deliberatly looking for a reason to bash the game or did you just happen to stumble on the house?

3 minutes ago, dagtag said:

I get that you are a bit shocked but let me ask you this, how did you find this out? Are you deliberatly looking for a reason to bash the game or did you just happen to stumble on the house?

Aaaaand why would this matter? The claim is obviously true, no matter how OP found out.

• Like 3

Just now, ShiEksdee said:

Aaaaand why would this matter? The claim is obviously true, no matter how OP found out.

its true that they used a real picture, however this is not wrong nor cheating... read up a bit on concept art. And how he found this out does kind of matter because if he has been looking for something to bash on the game, he would have found something regardless... a dog will always find a bone if he is eager to find one.

4 minutes ago, dagtag said:

its true that they used a real picture, however this is not wrong nor cheating... read up a bit on concept art. And how he found this out does kind of matter because if he has been looking for something to bash on the game, he would have found something regardless... a dog will always find a bone if he is eager to find one.

It IS wrong actually. I don't have to read up on it. I'm a concept artist myself. I work in game development. And if they find something and it's true then nah it doesn't really matter. Facts are facts.

1 hour ago, dagtag said:

That shit doesent matter. And how on earth would someone search for THIS. Its not like they are like"today im gonna find out if this house is from real life and that it belongs to Al gore" OP probably stumble upon it and went "hey, this i have seen before" and goes through the concept art. And BOOM there it is. 

It IS, in fact, concept art. If you would compare multiple pictures of Al Gore's house and the middle picture, you would see that there are multiple discrepancies between the photographs; like the little pond, the driveway, multiple other little details, etc. Yes, the house is CLEARLY based off of Al Gore's house, but it is not a photoshop.

11 minutes ago, thiesen90 said:

Look at this when you compare it.. ;)http://imgur.com/gallery/pxQWcIG

Here is the full reason to the picture you see:

PARATUS

• Project Lead
  •  
  • Paratus
  •  
  • 197 posts

To better clarify, do note the numbers in the corner of each image. These as they're seen are the first step in the art development. They're created quickly by a talented digital artist ( check past live streams.. this work had been shown live in the past ) as a sort of draft. 

When it later comes time to create the asset, we'd choose the most appropriate of the three and it would be done in high detail with any changes requested by the game designers.

These three you see were based on the jungle mood boards, which is why they all look somewhat similar. 

The final product you see in the game won't look just like any of these, but likely close to one of them.

The method used here is called compositing, and it's a great way to get a nice looking result quickly, before polishing.

okay, so that is the explanation for it and I will be locking the subject as it has been answered.

• Like 1