Striker

More npcs

Npcs like in battlefield hardline, gta 5, or watchdogs is what I think would be fun. Without npcs it could be more chaotic. Like if their is only 2 police because not many people wanted to be a police for example. Npcs could help with jobs or have their own houses and lives. Watching them drive around or construct would be cool. Like hundred thousands of npcs for population. People (Npc) filling the world besides abandoned places or somewhere like that. Npcs would get me real exited for game play.

Edited by Striker

First of all- look at The Precint. People are going crazy over police jobs. Identity is based off of cops vs robbers style games, so there will be plenty of police officers and quite a bit of criminals always, those jobs are 100% safe. NPCs will mostly work as cashiers in stores and as teachers (probably in tutorial part, maybe to upgrade skills) and that's all we know.

There won't be useless NPCs to fill up the space (and cause lags).

Second- why would NPCs have their own lives? What purpose would that make? And houses? Houses are unique- there are limited number of houses, each can be owned by a single player on a server. If NPCs would have their own houses they'd either just keep the spot away from players and sit there idle until someone buys the house, and I don't know what good a sitting idle NPC would do (especially since you can't access houses without owner's permission so you wouldn't even see the idle NPC being... idle). And I don't know how "NPC life" would even look like. It's a very social game. Would they go to karaoke and sing with Google Translate voice? O.o

Also- HUNDRED THOUSANDS NPCs?! The game will host 250-400 players! With so many NPCs the map would literally be flooded in AI. I don't even want to imagine the frame rate!

What's exciting in NPCs? x-x

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Striker said:

I really mean npcs like in gta 5.

You mean NPCs who begin to bludgeon your character if you stand near them for too long?

Identity is heavily focused on Role Play, Player Interaction, Immersiveness and Realism. Every car you'll see driving down the street will be driven by an actual person. Every character shooting another character will be an actual person shooting an actual person. Every character you'll see walking through a forest will be an actual person. There's absolutely no need for NPCs to take up the space, network packets and devs time only to pointlessly derp around the map.

• Like 3

If their is only 200 to 450 players per server the world will be totally empty. If their isn't much npcs walking around like in gta 5 their should be way more than 450 players per server. But still, their should be many unique npcs to make the world not empty. Npcs driving or walking. Most games like identity have many npcs. Npcs you could rob or kill.

Edited by Striker

NPCs are useless. Only thing they do is get in your way, get under your car, drive you over with their cars or randomly attack you. They break immersion quite a lot since you can't talk to them or do anything to get a reaction out of them- you can't ROLE PLAY with NPCs, and Identity is heavily focused on RP. And if the map is 225kmand there will be up to 450 players on a server, that means there'd be "2 players per 1km2", which is not that bad!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Striker said:

Imagine 450 people total in America and no more or less.

America is 9,826,675 km2... That's 43674,1~ times bigger than Identity.

Edited by Vix

4 minutes ago, Striker said:

Or 450 people in 1 state or even 1 city.

Smallest state there is is 3,140 km2. Smallest city- 0.23 km2 , biggest city- 347.1 km2... Why am I googling America again? .-. Why are we talking about America?

Identity is like one Island, not a state, and it isn't a huge island either, and certainly not an empty one. If devs think 250-400 users is enough to fill up the place and run the economy- who are we to say we need 5000 people online? They know what they're doing!

My experience from Altis Life (about 80-100 players on the same area) says that having 200-300 players on the island will be enough. Most players are going to be gathered at some important places (cities, good hunting places etc.). Which make the game feel full of people.

On 1/24/2016 at 11:14 AM, Vix said:

Smallest state there is is 3,140 km2. Smallest city- 0.23 km2 , biggest city- 347.1 km2... Why am I googling America again? .-. Why are we talking about America?

Identity is like one Island, not a state, and it isn't a huge island either, and certainly not an empty one. If devs think 250-400 users is enough to fill up the place and run the economy- who are we to say we need 5000 people online? They know what they're doing!

Isn't even worth arguing with this guy tbh, it looks like he's a GTA kid who wants Identity to be a GTA clone...

Edited by Johnny
  • Like 2

@Vix

24 minutes ago, Striker said:

GTA kid? Nah not really

really?

On 18.1.2016 at 0:18 AM, Striker said:

Npcs like in battlefield hardline, gta 5, or watchdogs is what I think would be fun. Without npcs it could be more chaotic. Like if their is only 2 police because not many people wanted to be a police for example. Npcs could help with jobs or have their own houses and lives. Watching them drive around or construct would be cool. Like hundred thousands of npcs for population. People (Npc) filling the world besides abandoned places or somewhere like that. Npcs would get me real exited for game play.

argument 1. more in your other posts. now be a good child and read carefully. i'll only tell you that one time and never again because yeah. i'm just repeating other players that tryed to explain it to you.

here it comes:

no npcs in identity. it's a massively multiplayer online roleplay game. if you don't want identity how it will be you can always play another game like gta online or the sims

Edited by Shimozukachi
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2016 at 0:07 AM, Striker said:

I really mean npcs like in gta 5.

Yes this would be great, even better if these NPC's also did crimes that you could stop.xD

• Like 1

On 1/26/2016 at 1:21 AM, Striker said:

GTA kid? Nah not really

Well every post of yours I see you are asking them to add some unrealistic GTA feature which would ruin the game. It just seems like you don't realise that this is a roleplay game, not a GTA game. You have to spend time roleplaying (talking to people, watching TV, eating) and not just getting in your car and driving over 50 hookers.

• Like 2

Okay, I have just had to make an account to reply to this thread, because as a gamer and student of games design / development this annoys me, I mean, sure I get that the devs wouldn't like to include "useless" NPCs, and I get that roaming NPCs aren't seen by the devs as useful, but striker has a point, there might not be enough players to bring the game world to life especially on lower population servers, they're not going to be frequent enough, and whenever I've gone into a city it's been teaming with thousands of people, I get that you think that Striker is going to go into a city full of NPCs and butcher them like he does in GTA and admittedly he might give that a shot, but the game has systems much more complex than GTA to prevent that, such as the police force, criminal records, realistic weapons limitations etc, that and the cops aren't idiotic AI which has accuracy rivaling a stormtroopers. NPCs would serve a very important role if they were included, they'd make the cities / towns etc feel more populated like you see in the real world, and a lot of people will choose to be cops and robbers, so that really doesn't leave all that many civi players in the world. (I'm aware that I layed out my point and hit it with an axe, but I really am not a master of words for say, and I've just found out about this game so I might be a million miles from what the game is about but I think I get the jist and it looks really good regardless, apologies for the massive ass paragraph which could probably suffice with a single sentence). ^.^

• Like 1

I actually thought there would be some NPC's in the game, that just walk around and some of them driving just to give the feeling that you are not alone, because maybe a lot of people in the server are in the swamp and you are the only one in the city