SummitsEdge

• QUESTION: In-Game News?

This question has been bouncing around my head for the past few hours, I haven't found anything on it so I decided to create this thread. Is there going to be like an in-game newspaper? I was wondering, like newspapers, newscasts on television, etc. This might be useful for like political debates if this is something already implemented? If you know any information on news in-game I'd love to hear because I've been thinking about this lately for a bit.

Thanks, 

~ SummitsEdge

• Like 1

There will be an ingame news paper!  But no news cast on the tv however you can have your own radio show.  Another idea I had for people who want to have a tv show in identity is they could stream themselves on twitch and players in game could watch that twitch stream on their ingame TVs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cstove said:

There will be an ingame news paper!  But no news cast on the tv however you can have your own radio show.  Another idea I had for people who want to have a tv show in identity is they could stream themselves on twitch and players in game could watch that twitch stream on their ingame TVs.

Yeah, I can see this being a thing -- good idea :D

35 minutes ago, TheoGT said:

I'm a radio presenter now 

I can't wait for the Fallout-type style radio casters. Always enjoyed listening to the hilarious station on that game. What do you plan to present about? Actual news or just wacky stuff?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cstove said:

What I would find really cool is if there could be like morning news that could be played on Live TV. In the preview, they showed that they could watch Twitch.tv Livestreams on the TV in game. So what if an organization could create some sort of Live morning news that people could tune into daily?

Would be really sick.

i have no clue if you will be able to use cameras like in arma or if you can actually use chairs to sit and stuff. But imagine if you're at your home turn on the tv start watching some streams and someone on your server is streaming "The News" and they are inside an office sitting down actually talking about things inside that server.

18 minutes ago, SupremeLeader said:

What I would find really cool is if there could be like morning news that could be played on Live TV. In the preview, they showed that they could watch Twitch.tv Livestreams on the TV in game. So what if an organization could create some sort of Live morning news that people could tune into daily?

Would be really sick.

If they could potentially find a way to get a good Twitch game-section. For example, if you look at CS: catelogoeGO's it shows what rank you are and for Minecraft, they have streaming implemented into the game. Maybe they could potentially get a system like this added into the game so that you could stream from in-game and have a various amount of additional options so as to have a "TV catalogue"

7 minutes ago, PrivacyVr said:

i have no clue if you will be able to use cameras like in arma or if you can actually use chairs to sit and stuff. But imagine if you're at your home turn on the tv start watching some streams and someone on your server is streaming "The News" and they are inside an office sitting down actually talking about things inside that server.

It would be crazy man! I'm so looking forward to what we will have accessibility wise when it comes to televisions. If they do it right, which I entrust they will, they could have one of the most unique television systems in the gaming community.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SummitsEdge said:

I can't wait for the Fallout-type style radio casters. Always enjoyed listening to the hilarious station on that game. What do you plan to present about? Actual news or just wacky stuff?

Probably some actual news, and a lot of wacky things like ringing in drug dealers and convicted murderers :D

1 hour ago, PrivacyVr said:

There will be no in game cameras.  But players will be able to sit on furniture.  Like you said news shows and other shows can still be done if a player is streaming.

Then that's great! i do remember the devs saying that there's tons of things you can do that are unscripted so that's why i thought the streaming thing could work. @Cstove

Edited by PrivacyVr

19 hours ago, PrivacyVr said:

Then that's great! i do remember the devs saying that there's tons of things you can do that are unscripted so that's why i thought the streaming thing could work. @Cstove

Yeah via twitch it can be done but not in-game as it can be abused; also it is a heavy network object.

• Like 1

If only hacking was a thing, it would be fun to see if a hacker was capable of messing with the TV shows and broadcasts, anybody ever seen those creepy hacked news channels on those top 10 videos? haha

On 4/9/2017 at 1:44 PM, SummitsEdge said:

This question has been bouncing around my head for the past few hours, I haven't found anything on it so I decided to create this thread. Is there going to be like an in-game newspaper? I was wondering, like newspapers, newscasts on television, etc. This might be useful for like political debates if this is something already implemented? If you know any information on news in-game I'd love to hear because I've been thinking about this lately for a bit.

Thanks, 

~ SummitsEdge

I'll tackle each question at a time.

1) TV News

The televisions in game have the capability to watch livestreams on Twitch and YouTube. So if somebody was interested in doing something of the sort, they could stream it and have people watch the livestream on their TVs at home

2) Newspaper

I'm not so sure about a newspaper, because that takes A LOT of time to create all those columns, etc. However, going back to my first point, there will probably be a TV News livestream eventually which covers the daily news or news about the game in general

3) Radio

The radios in game are able to stream internet podcasts, etc. So I would say that if somebody wanted to start a radio show in game, then they could easily do so by starting an internet radio station, which isn't hard at all.

5 hours ago, SupremeLeader said:

1) TV News

The televisions in game have the capability to watch livestreams on Twitch and YouTube. So if somebody was interested in doing something of the sort, they could stream it and have people watch the livestream on their TVs at home

2) Newspaper

I'm not so sure about a newspaper, because that takes A LOT of time to create all those columns, etc. However, going back to my first point, there will probably be a TV News livestream eventually which covers the daily news or news about the game in general

3) Radio

The radios in game are able to stream internet podcasts, etc. So I would say that if somebody wanted to start a radio show in game, then they could easily do so by starting an internet radio station, which isn't hard at all.

I talked before about this very same issue, on another thread, and my point there was to be able to make a career as reporter, with options to try diffrent jobs within the TV station. And since this would be local for the server, then both twitch and youtobe would not be a media that fits for this. - I still think it should be made as an ingame option. It does not have to be a video showing the real players, but their caracter, when they talk, make interview or ex. are on the place on an onging bankheist, or police bust of a large drug deal.

This could also be used (as told here on the thread) to cover a politicial debate, sponsored by local companys that want their names out. - This would fall to the ground on a Youtube or Twitch video (because its local material for a specific server), im not asking for this to work directly, as the first, but for sure something the devs should give a good thought to if its possible at some point.

On top of that there are newspapers, and radios, I think there will be some kind of option to write some news articles ingame (think I did read about it somewhere here on the forum before), the radio should be possible by starting an online radio station, but again I think this should be done within the server, not a online radio station that all servers have acces to, if its local material they want to broadcast.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SupremeLeader said:

1) TV News

2) Newspaper

3) Radio

1. That is correct.

2. You can create a newspaper/ write article etc. (Confirmed) The newspapers automatically get delivered.

3. You can be a radio station host (Confirmed)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Turaxis said:

I talked before about this very same issue, on another thread, and my point there was to be able to make a career as reporter, with options to try diffrent jobs within the TV station. And since this would be local for the server, then both twitch and youtobe would not be a media that fits for this. - I still think it should be made as an ingame option. It does not have to be a video showing the real players, but their caracter, when they talk, make interview or ex. are on the place on an onging bankheist, or police bust of a large drug deal.

This could also be used (as told here on the thread) to cover a politicial debate, sponsored by local companys that want their names out. - This would fall to the ground on a Youtube or Twitch video (because its local material for a specific server), im not asking for this to work directly, as the first, but for sure something the devs should give a good thought to if its possible at some point.

On top of that there are newspapers, and radios, I think there will be some kind of option to write some news articles ingame (think I did read about it somewhere here on the forum before), the radio should be possible by starting an online radio station, but again I think this should be done within the server, not a online radio station that all servers have acces to, if its local material they want to broadcast.

Problem is, you can't just make a job out of thin air without market demand. If there's not enough people who are willing to sit in their homes and watch a TV livestream of any sort on a political debate, or even the morning news, then the job won't exist. A big part about Identity is that the economy is run by the people, and solely by the people. With any job, there needs to be some sort of market demand.

Another way this could exist is that maybe the TV network is funded by the state, with the government getting involved there.

However, to get to your main point, the developers have already said that they are not going to make this a function in the game. They also said that for things like this, they are going to rely on the people to make things like this happen, to make the experience more immersive. 

I dont know where you have that from, because that was not the answer I got.

There was 2 main reason they dident implement it yet.
1. To use video rl videos can be abused (well alot of things can if thats what people really wants to do)
2. But more important... It take too much recource from the servers (Thats why I did say it should be possible with the ingame caracter instead of video clips)

Regarding the issue if its profitable, there are two ways of solving that, and you are talking about one of them (that works just fine in RL where I live) are a public licence, funded by a tv licence (sort of a tax soultion),,there are no Commercials of any kind, and then you have the Commercial channels, that are funded by Commercials. In general then the public channels have longer and more deep-going programs, news and political debates, and the Commercials have more of easy going films, and light programs. (that is ofc just in general). I can not see why that should be an issue in the game, to get payed from local Companys, or political players that want to run for governor, to pay for the tv time for a spot to get a message out or a Company to get their buisness known on the server, it should be in their own interest.

One simple way to run a newspaper would be to use a template with most things already filled in, just leaving space for a few in-world articles to be added, so that it's a more viable proposition time-wise.