Sign in to follow this  
JaxCavalera

Develop software - apps for the in game computer with Javascript HTML5

Javascript HTML5 web applications would be pretty easy to support being loaded into the in-game web-browser and it's one of the most common / easy to pickup languages making it a perfect option for creating rich and fun new software apps that could be sold on an in-game App Store. This creates the opportunity for players with that kind of background to build out new features into the game that would otherwise take a long time for the dev team to get around to and also gives them a way to earn in game currency.

Expansions

- API to interact with other in game systems like the stock market, bank, shops, factories, phone GPS, security systems etc.

- Live linking to real externally hosted (Approved) web applications further increasing immersion and crossing the bridge between in game and reality.

Essentially I would think it'd be neat to have an in-game editor for building these, but lets face it, if people are allowed to create applications like this, most are going to use an external setup and just spit out a minified javascript bundle, copy the code and paste into the in game editor to spin up their web applications... which isn't a bad thing really as it saves the hassle of building a fancy IDE in game.

• Like 3

The other thing I thought about with it would be that a small JS library could be provided as an SDK of sorts with methods that hook into the API for us so all we need to do is call them and it bridges the gap saving time and reducing opportunity for defects when creating applications that hook into various APIs made available.  everyone hooks into them the same way so everyone gets a baseline performance equality.

I really like this idea! I'm really hoping modding/addons is a feature of Identity as I plan to spend many hours on addons when/if you can.

• Like 1
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

2 minutes ago, Harry1 said:

I really like this idea! I'm really hoping modding/addons is a feature of Identity as I plan to spend many hours on addons when/if you can.

Q: Modding Support?
A: We're exploring this as a possibility, but a decision regarding mods likely won't be reached until several years after the full game is out.

Basically the developers won't make a decision until like 4 or 5 years after the full game release. (Which IMO is the right amount of time before the game should get modding.)

1 hour ago, LuckyDuck said:

Q: Modding Support?
A: We're exploring this as a possibility, but a decision regarding mods likely won't be reached until several years after the full game is out.

Basically the developers won't make a decision until like 4 or 5 years after the full game release. (Which IMO is the right amount of time before the game should get modding.)

Hey Duck,

Thanks for the reply.

Yea. I've seen! More speaking of minor edits such as opening up the game to allow custom scripts to be loaded in as well. A lot like how Rust currently supports modded servers. Excited non the less!

Harry

Edited by Harry1

The ability to mod can have a significant impact on the underlying atmospere of a game. Even something as small as tweaking hunger, vehicle handling, camera position or walking speed by only tiny quantities can change the balance of how a player thinks / feels about a game as systems like that are close to the core.

In contrast to this I think increasing the number of apps available for the computer devices (phone - laptop) doesn't change a core variable, it simply increases player immersion with more variety on devices already sporting a selection of apps.

If players can own businesses, and one such biz is a software company responsible for vanilla apps... opening up that market place to other startup software companies will give ppl with those skills an income opportunity.

We already have opportunities for musically talented, combat talented, artistic skilled etc.. players, why not software devs ^ ^

I like the idea

but wouldn't expect this to being added in untill atleast a year after full release,
maybe even further like Luckyduck said.

The idea is great to do such thing but let's see what the future bring and let them develop core stuff before addressing new ideas ^^

• Like 1

Definitly, this idea only becomes viable to do early if the devs have already built existing apps on mobile / laptop devices using a chromium browser / html5 + javascript.

If it uses C# or C++ or LUA etc then it won't be viable for quite a long time...if at all.