uncannierlink

Questions Regarding Private Servers

What kind of specs will it take to run a 100 Identity server?

What are the rules when it comes to server ownership, IE collecting donations?

Will a private server be able to use the official server character database if so chosen?

Will we have to rent servers from the developers or can we use 3rd party hosting companies to run private servers?

Post any questions or answers you guys have down below.

11 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

Will a private server be able to use the official server character database if so chosen?

While I haven't seen anything from the devs about this I can imagine you won't be able to due to the potential for server owners to screw around with things

2 minutes ago, jcdock said:

While I haven't seen anything from the devs about this I can imagine you won't be able to due to the potential for server owners to screw around with things

I'm fairly certain there are private DayZ servers that are connected to the official character server. It really depends on how configurable the devs make the servers. If there isn't an option to change game breaking mechanics, for example gather rates, then i see no problem with this, however if there is an option to change things like this than I can see your point.

2 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

I'm fairly certain there are private DayZ servers that are connected to the official character server. It really depends on how configurable the devs make the servers. If there isn't an option to change game breaking mechanics, for example gather rates, then i see no problem with this, however if there is an option to change things like this than I can see your point.

Good point, I might send a tweet to the official twitter and see what they have to say

4 minutes ago, jcdock said:

Good point, I might send a tweet to the official twitter and see what they have to say

Please link it here if you get a reply.

at the end he configures a job to get 1 bilion $ and kills the environment of any official server. in dayz it's not that bad because you die either that or the other day and you'll lose everything.

As far as I know you rent servers from developers and not any other companies, and characters made on official servers and private servers are separate. You can probably save their look to use an official-server-character on a private server, but not their money, possesed items, apartments, vehicles, crime history etc.

I know that you will be able to collect donations through decoration only items (eg. Hats) being sold. 

Your private server can be rented through a Identity approved third party hoster. Im not sure if you can have one on your own box. 

And you can choose whether to use the identity database. I also heard there are quite a lot of options for your sever.

On 1/19/2016 at 10:20 PM, uncannierlink said:

Will a private server be able to use the official server character database if so chosen?.

Doubt it, I can see someone making a server where you can easily make a lot more money than the official servers. Using the same character data will be definitely abused like that.

Couple Things to talk about...

1. Firstly, do we want another Garry's Mod Dark RP/Arma Life Mod Experience with Private servers on Identity? I feel like people have negative feelings about Gmod and Arma Private Servers. A majority of server owners only care about profit than making the game better(Asylum makes the game better). At the same time, the developers (and I) truly want Identity players to have no restrictions. Something has to be done to eliminate those who will make this game a cash cow. I recommend having a ratings page for every server on the server browser. Or something that takes up less resources is icons which tell which server has: Advertisements, Pay to Win Content, or a Non-Profit server. 

2.There should be a policy about 3rd parties making Web servers to sell Addons that can be used on Identity, when modding comes out. Websites like Scriptfodder ruins the chance of every server being original. Do we want Identity to have the same content everywhere or be unique? Being unique improves the mediocre, and Identity is already one of a kind so think of the possibilities.

Overall, this game is very promising and many people will try to ruin it with greed, just look at gmod. I hope the right steps are taken, because I'm here for the long haul. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Taquito said:

Couple Things to talk about...

1. Firstly, do we want another Garry's Mod Dark RP/Arma Life Mod Experience with Private servers on Identity? I feel like people have negative feelings about Gmod and Arma Private Servers. A majority of server owners only care about profit than making the game better(Asylum makes the game better). At the same time, the developers (and I) truly want Identity players to have no restrictions. Something has to be done to eliminate those who will make this game a cash cow. I recommend having a ratings page for every server on the server browser. Or something that takes up less resources is icons which tell which server has: Advertisements, Pay to Win Content, or a Non-Profit server. 

2.There should be a policy about 3rd parties making Web servers to sell Addons that can be used on Identity, when modding comes out. Websites like Scriptfodder ruins the chance of every server being original. Do we want Identity to have the same content everywhere or be unique? Being unique improves the mediocre, and Identity is already one of a kind so think of the possibilities.

Overall, this game is very promising and many people will try to ruin it with greed, just look at gmod. I hope the right steps are taken, because I'm here for the long haul. 

They havn't yet confirmed that mods will ever come out, they have said they will look at it also on some servers being just cash cows I'm not sure how they will be able to do that with identity as the devs themselves are anti-pay-to-win