I was wondering and digging around, and I learned that it's not available to steal from player owned stores, correct? If this is true, why isn't there a easily built coverage system that reimburses the stolen goods? 

While we do have a pretty cool shoplifting mechanic in Identity, the issue with stealing items being sold by another player is the potential for exploitation. The ability to steal an item is based on its value and the shoplifting experience of the thief, so expensive items will be nearly impossible to steal. A stolen item cannot be sold in a store again, but can be sold in a sort of black market.

So, in short, you can steal from a player owned store out in the world but what you can't steal from are player's private stores, which are usually operated from their own home.

So it's likely players will make their home a shop? More likely than renting a property to distribute products? Because as a safe player, wanting to make it to the top without criminal interference, I'd run a business only from my home if that's where they can't steal from.

It's more about volume. You'll make more money overall if you own a shop in a busy area. Not only do you receive income for items you're selling on consignment yourself, but from all sales at that location otherwise, too.

Buying from someone's home can be tedious for travel, and there are other limitations.

The vast majority of players will walk into a local store to buy goods, just as they're used to from other games. All of these stores can be owned.

That was comforting to hear, makes me eager to play. At least I know there is a larger gain to the possible falls. Thanks for helping me understand(:

On 1/1/2016 at 1:32 PM, Padrinos said:

Are you able to own different shops, or just one?

They did state in the trailer that all properties are able to be owned, so I'd assume so, yes.

However, here's hoping they add an anti-monopoly system to prevent real estate takeover by one rich person.

Yea, I've seen it in other games where there is a property cap or it is an instance for only when ur online.