Samuel_Tsai

[POLICE] Organization & Structure

I have a dumb question but i need to clear it up Will all officers be able to patrol and things like commanding officers including cheif

4 hours ago, Vetreil said:

How do you exactly apply for these jobs? Do you do it in the game or on the forums?

To apply for these jobs you would do it in game where you would need to complete a test.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:50 PM, elyseum3 said:

I have a dumb question but i need to clear it up Will all officers be able to patrol and things like commanding officers including cheif

Yes. Check out the police career guide to learn more.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:16 AM, Vetreil said:

How do you exactly apply for these jobs? Do you do it in the game or on the forums?

There are a lot of career advertisements going on here on the forums, but yea you will need to apply within the game.

Is it not important to law enforcement the laws I plan to enact? Or how long the min-max sentences on particular crimes will be? Or literally anything related to the safety of the island or your profession? I want to hear from all potential officers, DEA, detectives and so forth. Myself, as a Governor candidate won't just pull laws out of my behind and throw them in your face, then discuss them after the fact. No, I will hear from you all first and then start thinking about what's wise. I need to hear from the law enforcement! #SpeakUp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SareScarlet said:

I'm wanting to become a detective, I just hope there's enough to do on the island to keep our jobs. 

There's definitely going to be enough to do, crime will be so high on this island!  As a Governor needing to look at every nook and cranny of crime I know this for sure!

On 11/30/2016 at 5:29 PM, Samuel_Tsai said:

Hey fellow Law Enforcers

With this topic I'd like to inform and assist you in understanding and creating a police department. It's important that departments are organised and have a structure to ensure officers are appointed to tasks and supervisors ensure tasks are completed. While rank structure is an important part of your department, it's also important to have a good divisional structure. Hopefully at the end of the text you're a bit wiser on how a police department works. We'll start of with Police Ranks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hierarchy

Staff Officers

Chief Of Police - In charge of the department and handles public relations with other departments aswell as controls internal procedures and protocolsDeputy
Assistant Chief Of Police - In charge of the department when the Chief of Police is on absence
Deputy Chief of Police - In charge of a large part of the department, known as an Office. Example: Office of Operations or Office of Counter Terrorism

Command Officers

Commander - In charge of a training within the department. Example: Sergeant In Training or Detective In Training
Captain - In charge of a precinct or leads all patrols within a certain area and acts as a supervisor to supervisors.
Lieutenant - In charge of a larger division and serves as city wide/ patrol wide supervisor.

Supervisor

Sergeant - In charge of smaller divisions or head of certain aspects within divisions. Alse the first contact point for basic officers
Senior Lead Officer - A non commissioned officer who is in training to become either a supervisor or detective..

Investigator

Detective In Charge - In charge of a investigation division and will handle day to day requests from lower ranked Detectives. Also in charge of casefiles.
Detective - Basic detective who investigates crimes after they happened and observes organised crimes
Senior Lead Officer - A non commissioned officer who is in training to become either a supervisor or detective.

Non Commissioned Officers

Police Officer III - Patrol officer who teaches the new officers the way around the department.
Police Officer II - Basic Patrol officer who makes up most of the department.
Police Officer I - Newly inducted Police Officers who are in their probationary stage and learn the way of the department.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hierarcy

With the previous mentioned hierarcy the base of your department should be filled. However it is always possible to adjust the ranks towards the need of your department. For example you can create a Senior Sergeant who would be a basic sergeant, but in training to become a Lieutenant. Another example is a Lieutenant I and Lieutenant II. Where the I would ensure larger divisions are kept under control the Lieutenant II would handle a precinct or multiple patrols. Ranks also work hand in had with your organisation. For example if you have 7 divisions it might be wise to have 7 lieutenants or a few lieutenants of the bigger divisions and sergeants of the smaller divisions.

It's important to know your department, because some divisions will require more intense handeling than others. Warrants and searches require more knowledge of the penal code and law than a traffic division. For that reason it's better to have a Lieutenant handle the Investigation divisions and a Sergeant the Traffic Division. The higher the rank the more legal and situational knowledge a person must have.

Organization Chart

EpvsIqM.png

Organization

Know your department and its needs! It's very important to ensure your department has a wide arrangement of divisions people can join so their day to day tasks are never the same and never boring. A good structure is most needed in the department and every part of it has a person controlling it. Divisions by Sergeants, Large divisions by Lieutenants, Precincts by Captains, Offices by Deputy Chiefs and at the top the Chief of Police.

The way a good structure works if that a basic officer will not have to complain to the Chief of Police. If he has a problem he should go to his appointed sergeant. If he can not solve it, the sergeant goes to his superior and so on. Because there are limited amounts of divisions in an Office there will be a good overview of them all. It's important that the division leader reports to the Office leader and the Office leader to the Chief of Police. Ensure to give your Deputy Chief of Police enough power to change his Office by only having to inform the Chief of Police with the changes. This way there is more control and better support for every division and they will know who too contact when there is a problem.

GENERAL NOTICE: If you have comments or have questions about a certain aspect within the police department, you can always ask it here. I'll try to give a good answer to every question asked. Obviously if your question is important, it will also be added in the topic along with the explanation. If you have certain subjects to add aswell you can always PM me and it will be added into the topic along with credits too your name. This topic is aimed to give a detailed guide on how to make or understand a police department and hopefully the community works with eachother to give tips to other servers.

Sorry for possible writing errors

I'm kinda late to the party on this, but Assistant Chief of Police isn't really the job title, it's more of what he does. The actual title is Deputy Cheif of Police , Major, or Captain depending on how you want the ranks to go and the size of the department. Also, Commander isn't an actual pay grade title. Commanders are the ones in charge or like a specialty unit like Drug Task Force. Senior Lead Officer isn't a pay grade rank again as well. There isn't a Detective in Charge position but Detectives can have rank such as Lieutenant or Sergeant. I believe a better structure would show as follows:

- Cheif of Police (1 Position)
- Major (Assistant Chief of Police, depending on your rank structure) (1 Position)
- Captain (Deputy Cheif of Police, depending on your rank structure) (2-3 Positions)
- Lieutenant (Roughly 4-6 Positions)
- Sergeant 
- Corporal
- Patrol Officer
- - You can have Senior Patrol officers designated who have been there a while and can give advice, but usually don't get paid differently than a PO

Also, in general, if there are multiple Lieutenants, one Lieutenant is never a higher rank than the other because that causes drama and trying to pull the rank card on an equal rank, which doesn't work. When you're a Lieutenant and want to become a Captain, you'd apply like you're applying for a new job, but wouldn't become a Senior Lieutenant or anything.

As for warrants, officers apply for their own warrants or may forward their cases to the detective bureau and have the detectives apply for warrants. The warrants are reviewed by the Prosecuting Attorney before being furnished to the Judge to be signed, then executed.

I apologize if this sounds mean, I don't mean it that way at all. You can obviously try to make your department however you are wanting and with whatever system you want. The one I showed just happens to be a more realistic structure based on an 3 separate, approximate 200-300 officer departments.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lil_Fish said:

I'm kinda late to the party on this, but Assistant Chief of Police isn't really the job title, it's more of what he does. The actual title is Deputy Cheif of Police , Major, or Captain depending on how you want the ranks to go and the size of the department. Also, Commander isn't an actual pay grade title. Commanders are the ones in charge or like a specialty unit like Drug Task Force. Senior Lead Officer isn't a pay grade rank again as well. There isn't a Detective in Charge position but Detectives can have rank such as Lieutenant or Sergeant. I believe a better structure would show as follows:

- Cheif of Police (1 Position)
- Major (Assistant Chief of Police, depending on your rank structure) (1 Position)
- Captain (Deputy Cheif of Police, depending on your rank structure) (2-3 Positions)
- Lieutenant (Roughly 4-6 Positions)
- Sergeant 
- Corporal
- Patrol Officer
- - You can have Senior Patrol officers designated who have been there a while and can give advice, but usually don't get paid differently than a PO

Also, in general, if there are multiple Lieutenants, one Lieutenant is never a higher rank than the other because that causes drama and trying to pull the rank card on an equal rank, which doesn't work. When you're a Lieutenant and want to become a Captain, you'd apply like you're applying for a new job, but wouldn't become a Senior Lieutenant or anything.

As for warrants, officers apply for their own warrants or may forward their cases to the detective bureau and have the detectives apply for warrants. The warrants are reviewed by the Prosecuting Attorney before being furnished to the Judge to be signed, then executed.

I apologize if this sounds mean, I don't mean it that way at all. You can obviously try to make your department however you are wanting and with whatever system you want. The one I showed just happens to be a more realistic structure based on an 3 separate, approximate 200-300 officer departments.

Don't apologize. 

We're happy to have such aExperienced Community that can give the devs alot of Suggestions & Ideas. 

I myself just learned alot through this post so I hope to see more like this by you and others in the future.

-Noe Rock

• Like 1

Don't know if there will be enough for a homicide unit on the island.
However as a detective i'll take an crime you throw at me, I look forward to working to keep our island safe sir.

5 minutes ago, SareScarlet said:

Don't know if there will be enough for a homicide unit on the island.
However as a detective i'll take an crime you throw at me, I look forward to working to keep our island safe sir.

As I've said before,  there will be plenty crime to handle! 

• Like 1

Very Very Very unlikely that they will have that many divisions until maybe later after the full game release 

Definitely agree that on public side first Police Chief should be promoted internally. Should be someone that show they can handle the role and has experience in police role play.

This rank structure and organization does look really nice tho. Kimda similar structure to the structure we use at my department on another RP game.

Do we have any official statements from the devs about the cop ranks in identity? Or just speculations?

3 hours ago, Cyb3r said:

Do we have any official statements from the devs about the cop ranks in identity? Or just speculations?

There won’t be a police ranking structure on official serves.

17 minutes ago, Cstove said:

There won’t be a police ranking structure on official serves.

Okay my fault. Are there any ranks to set up? Like in arma ranks 1-13 to set in database?

There are many individuals posting official guidelines for everything that is going to be in the game. Is there an official system in place that was made by the developers or is it all role-play? If so, how would one go about joining a precinct and becoming a detective? 

4 hours ago, davidohgdf said:

There are many individuals posting official guidelines for everything that is going to be in the game. Is there an official system in place that was made by the developers or is it all role-play? If so, how would one go about joining a precinct and becoming a detective? 

None of these are official!

• Like 1