ChillBilly

10-codes (realism)

Hey Guys,

Just checking in here. I have 10 years of fire and EMS experience IRL. I have noticed on some Arma 3 Servers that community police like to use 10 codes. If you are going to go for realism on your server, I would like to tell you that the FCC here in America does not support the use of 10-codes for the very reason that it confuses people. If you were to encounter another police officer, fire department, or EMS unit from a neighboring town their 10 codes may not reflect your 10 codes. That is why the FCC tells you to use plain English.

The reason for the 10-codes was for quick radio traffic, and also so that people in scanner land wouldn't know what was happening.

Anyway, food for thought.

@ChillBilly,

thats impressive if you do actually have 10 years irl experience. Do you plan on becoming a police officer? Or a paramedic!

I believe the community will make the 'codes' for others, so I agree that we shouldn't do it. But I know little about this topic...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndrewDonaldson said:

@ChillBilly,

thats impressive if you do actually have 10 years irl experience. Do you plan on becoming a police officer? Or a paramedic!

I believe the community will make the 'codes' for others, so I agree that we shouldn't do it. But I know little about this topic...

I haven't really made any plans as of yet. I am actually deciding if I want to carry on as a lawyer as in previous characters or if I want to just space out from it all. I definitely do not want anything to do with the medical side of things. My years as a paramedic were shorted by a life altering event which made me lose a long term partner and friend. Not to mention inaccuracies in medical science kind of piss me off. If I were to do a public service it very well might be the police, or maybe even sanitation or a tow truck driver. Allen Camel Towing has a nice ring to it.

Thanks for agreeing with me!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChillBilly said:

Why would I lie?

Loads of people make this sort of shit up to make themselves sound more interesting, your story could be somewhat believable until you start going on about life altering events which made you lose a long term partner and friend, I think you're making that up.

43 minutes ago, ChillBilly said:

Still doesn't prove anything, friend. Maybe you are telling the truth yes and call me a cynic if you want but after some members we've had on here in the past such as a dude called JamesLuck who chat so much shit in terms of what he'd lost and what he did, it's hard to believe anything like that anymore.

4 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

Still doesn't prove anything, friend. Maybe you are telling the truth yes and call me a cynic if you want but after some members we've had on here in the past such as a dude called JamesLuck who chat so much shit in terms of what he'd lost and what he did, it's hard to believe anything like that anymore.

I usually do my judging on a case by case matter. Take yourself for example. I understand where you are coming from, on the other hand I am not JamesLuck, I haven't given you any reason for you not to believe what I say. Regardless, I could care less if you believe me or not. I know what I've done, and for the people that do know me they would say I have integrity.

You don't know me, the same as I do not know you. I know nothing of your life experiences. I choose not to go into detail about a lot of things personal. However the post wasn't intended to be about me, I was merely intending the post to be for educational purposes for those who had not worked in the field.

Regardless of what others may do or say, you should not judge a new person by the face of someone else. Just as I will not judge you for the other hateful and discourteous people I've found here. I think you are all waiting, and the waiting is causing you to be irrational. I still have respect for you Kickapoo, until you give me a reason not to respect you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChillBilly said:

I usually do my judging on a case by case matter. Take yourself for example. I understand where you are coming from, on the other hand I am not JamesLuck, I haven't given you any reason for you not to believe what I say. Regardless, I could care less if you believe me or not. I know what I've done, and for the people that do know me they would say I have integrity.

You don't know me, the same as I do not know you. I know nothing of your life experiences. I choose not to go into detail about a lot of things personal. However the post wasn't intended to be about me, I was merely intending the post to be for educational purposes for those who had not worked in the field.

Regardless of what others may do or say, you should not judge a new person by the face of someone else. Just as I will not judge you for the other hateful and discourteous people I've found here. I think you are all waiting, and the waiting is causing you to be irrational. I still have respect for you Kickapoo, until you give me a reason not to respect you.

Well said, I was possibly inconsiderate with you there and for that I apologise. 

3 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

Well said, I was possibly inconsiderate with you there and for that I apologise. 

You have good character Kickapoo. Humility is a virtue.

True, it would confuse the hell out of players who haven't had any earlier experience with 10-codes in any other game, or IRL. I think therefore a menu for quick radio traffic is more effective with predefined 10-codes, but also include the meaning of each of them. But there should be an alternative not to use the menu and instead put an 10-code directly into the police computer which automatically converts into an explanation of the 10-code together with where to respond, to make it easier for everyone.

I think the cops should have a learning curve and 10-codes are something that's appreciated in games such as SA-MP and ARMA since it's short and effective, when few menus with predefined responses exist.

10 codes are really effective to use over a radio. Although many real world agencies are decommissioning the system, the more important codes are definitely useful, especially with a high amount of radio traffic.

On 6/16/2016 at 5:16 PM, ChillBilly said:

Hey Guys,

Just checking in here. I have 10 years of fire and EMS experience IRL. I have noticed on some Arma 3 Servers that community police like to use 10 codes. If you are going to go for realism on your server, I would like to tell you that the FCC here in America does not support the use of 10-codes for the very reason that it confuses people. If you were to encounter another police officer, fire department, or EMS unit from a neighboring town their 10 codes may not reflect your 10 codes. That is why the FCC tells you to use plain English.

The reason for the 10-codes was for quick radio traffic, and also so that people in scanner land wouldn't know what was happening.

Plain english sounds like a plan, especially since not everyone playing Identity will be from North America lol

Edited by Jinx

16 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Just so everyone knows @Kickapoo is referring to a guy from the old forum and which I never signed up to/ didn't even know about.

Yup I meant to say JamesWoods anyway not JamesLuck so yeh

On 6/16/2016 at 0:16 PM, ChillBilly said:

Hey Guys,

Hey @ChillBilly -- thanks for bringing this topic up. This is actually one of my worries when the game is released if players try and create/bring in a 10-code system. I'm a dispatcher at my local department and our county doesn't use 10 codes. Most of the dispatching agencies in the State have eradicated the 10-Code system and like you said, most in the nation. There's still a few of them that do in the Upper Peninsula in MI, but they do odd things up there regardless...

At any rate, we have three codes that we use in our department over the radio -- Code K for deaths, Code X for distress, and 10-25 for a Bomb Threat. Everything else is verbal.

Lots of changes after 9/11 and the use of the airwaves!

Edited by dtantalo
Cleared up a few sentences.

On 6/16/2016 at 0:16 PM, ChillBilly said:

Hey Guys,

It'll be too easy for criminals. I think the police community on Identity should create their own codes.

While 10 codes create a language criminals don't understand, it's not efficient for police to use. Criminals are smart and will learn those codes just like new officers will. Using plain language is also more clear and will be processed a lot quicker by a brain than ten codes. 

It's important too know not everyone will have hours a day to play this game. Most likely people who have real jobs will not want to study for a game. Lots of real departments, including my 112 dispatch center do not use 10 codes anymore because there are more downsides than plus sides. As said they were mainly used to avoid criminals knowing PD called backup or to quickly transmit a situation over a busy radio that works only 1 communication at a time. It turned out you can find 10 code lists of nearly every department and it takes longer to process a 10 code in the brain than saying the sentence and fully understanding the situation.