Hatoful

My PC Build

Hey guys, so since my current PC is awful, I'm planning on building my own PC. However, I know next to nothing about PC parts and things of that nature. I know the PC should be able to run games like Ark, which my current one can't, so I was hoping you guys would be able to look at the parts I picked and tell me if they're a good fit or not. I researched all of the requirements of Ark and looked at the different posts on this forum about possible requirements, and I'm about 80% sure the parts I chose should be good enough to run Identity, but I just wanna be 100% sure before I spend all of this money! Here is the link to the parts I chose. I don't really need the game to run at the top settings, I just would like to be able to play it on decent settings and not have that much lag. Also, if you guys have any suggestions as to what parts I should change or add, I'd like to spend at the most 1k on this PC, but if necessary I can spend more. Thank you in advance! :D 

My computer has a decent setup that'll run you about $600-700

Processor: i5-6400

Graphics Card: RX 480 4GB 

1TB HDD (I recommend getting a small SSD though because if not you'll freeze a lot and reach 100% disk speed when flying or loading stuff in ARK. I'm currently struggling with that and trust me it sucks.)

RAM: 8GB

EDIT: Shit, sorry I forgot to tell you guys my RAM

Edited by Capped
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Capped said:

My computer has a decent setup that'll run you about $600-700

Processor: i5-6400

Graphics Card: RX 480 4GB 

1TB HDD (I recommend getting a small SSD though because if not you'll freeze a lot and reach 100% disk speed when flying or loading stuff in ARK. I'm currently struggling with that and trust me it sucks.)

Yeah, you don't need next gen parts to run games. As long as you're okay with 30fps and 720p

His build is definitely something to look into.

AMD FX 4300-6350 or Intel i3-i5

8GB's of RAM

500GB's to 1TB of storage (or make room for an SSD

GTX 750ti or GTX 900 series (or 1000 series) I'm not saying anything about AMD GPU's because I know nothing about them.

Windows 10 mainly because it's the cheapest OS

Hope this helped. Definitely check out the site PC Partpicker. It'll help a lot when trying to find parts that are compatible with each other.

5 hours ago, Arky said:

Yeah, you don't need next gen parts to run games. As long as you're okay with 30fps and 720p

His build is definitely something to look into.

AMD FX 4300-6350 or Intel i3-i5

8GB's of RAM

500GB's to 1TB of storage (or make room for an SSD

GTX 750ti or GTX 900 series (or 1000 series) I'm not saying anything about AMD GPU's because I know nothing about them.

Windows 10 mainly because it's the cheapest OS

Hope this helped. Definitely check out the site PC Partpicker. It'll help a lot when trying to find parts that are compatible with each other.

Yea that sounds like a pretty good build :P

I'd recommend going against any AMD processor just because most games these days take more advantage of Intel cores. (Not exactly sure how as I've forgotten, but I'll try to find the reason again.)

Also where you say "500GB's to 1TB of Storage (or make room for an SSD)", I'd say get a 1TB HDD (It's really only $40-50 US depending on the plan so it's pretty affordable and it's tons of storage.) 

And then, I recommend getting a 120GB-250GB SSD once you can afford it or in your initial build alongside the HDD if you have the cash. I'd recommend putting your OS and a few games you play the most on this SSD. This is because the Read/Write Speeds of SSDs are usually about 3-4 times faster than the standard HDD. 

The faster speeds of the SSD will cause your loading screens to go from for example a 3-5 minute load of ARK from desktop to an official server ---> 30-60 second load times from desktop to modded server.

Also, sometimes on an HDD when flying on a modded server and even official servers you will freeze a ton when your flying and your disk usage will shoot up to 100%. This is because your read/write speeds are pretty low and so is your I/O rate. SSDs are much faster which will most likely fix the problem.

(Testing this out in a few days when my SSD comes in, but the facts and numbers say that this will work. I've been doing a ton of research :P)

Of course, you probably know this already but I figured I'd help out.

• Like 1

ALSO, unless you plan on overclocking, I wouldn't buy that CPU cooler fan. I don't feel overclocking is really necessary tbh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capped said:

Yea that sounds like a pretty good build :P

I'd recommend going against any AMD processor just because most games these days take more advantage of Intel cores. (Not exactly sure how as I've forgotten, but I'll try to find the reason again.)

Also where you say "500GB's to 1TB of Storage (or make room for an SSD)", I'd say get a 1TB HDD (It's really only $40-50 US depending on the plan so it's pretty affordable and it's tons of storage.) 

And then, I recommend getting a 120GB-250GB SSD once you can afford it or in your initial build alongside the HDD if you have the cash. I'd recommend putting your OS and a few games you play the most on this SSD. This is because the Read/Write Speeds of SSDs are usually about 3-4 times faster than the standard HDD. 

The faster speeds of the SSD will cause your loading screens to go from for example a 3-5 minute load of ARK from desktop to an official server ---> 30-60 second load times from desktop to modded server.

Also, sometimes on an HDD when flying on a modded server and even official servers you will freeze a ton when your flying and your disk usage will shoot up to 100%. This is because your read/write speeds are pretty low and so is your I/O rate. SSDs are much faster which will most likely fix the problem.

(Testing this out in a few days when my SSD comes in, but the facts and numbers say that this will work. I've been doing a ton of research :P)

Of course, you probably know this already but I figured I'd help out.

Intels are super overpriced. I say just get an AMD and over clock it.

5 minutes ago, Arky said:

Intels are super overpriced. I say just get an AMD and over clock it.

I wouldn't say super overpriced. They last a ton of time so the price is worth it imo.

6 hours ago, Arky said:

1 hour ago, Capped said:

ALSO, unless you plan on overclocking, I wouldn't buy that CPU cooler fan. I don't feel overclocking is really necessary tbh.

Thank you guys for all your help! So all in all, I don't need that extra fan, and the graphics card I picked out could be less? Here are the parts I picked out again https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsGPGf

Im pretty sure I have all the memory matching what you guys are saying, and I think everything is compatible. So I guess the last question is if I should get intel or amd like you guys are saying xD 

2 hours ago, Hatoful said:

Thank you guys for all your help! So all in all, I don't need that extra fan, and the graphics card I picked out could be less? Here are the parts I picked out again https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsGPGf

Im pretty sure I have all the memory matching what you guys are saying, and I think everything is compatible. So I guess the last question is if I should get intel or amd like you guys are saying xD 

I say change the power supply unit for something cheaper and more cable management friendly. My PSU is 500w for 22$ and it all depends. Get yourself an i5 if you don't want a good CPU or get yourself an AMD if you want an insanely fast CPU. Just gonna need an fan if you get an AMD

3 hours ago, Arky said:

I say change the power supply unit for something cheaper and more cable management friendly. My PSU is 500w for 22$ and it all depends. Get yourself an i5 if you don't want a good CPU or get yourself an AMD if you want an insanely fast CPU. Just gonna need an fan if you get an AMD

Alright, I made some changes and I think everything should be good now. I stuck with the AMD and just changed the graphics card to something a little bit cheaper, along with the power supply!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sj6pM8

Thanks again everyone for your help! ^_^ 

Motherboard - ASUS H270-PLUS PRIME

Processor - i5-6500 quad core 3.2 ghz w/ 6mb cache

RAM - 8gb DDR4

Graphics Card - Asus Nvidia GTX Geforce 1050ti 4gb Vram

Hard Drive - 1TB Barracuda HDD

Case - Thermaltake w/ 500w PS (black)

5 hours ago, Valtorix said:

Motherboard - ASUS H270-PLUS PRIME

Processor - i5-6500 quad core 3.2 ghz w/ 6mb cache

RAM - 8gb DDR4

Graphics Card - Asus Nvidia GTX Geforce 1050ti 4gb Vram

Hard Drive - 1TB Barracuda HDD

Case - Thermaltake w/ 500w PS (black)

Thanks! I pretty much have everything you have in some sort of variation, except a different processor! Hopefully, it comes together nicely! :D 

• Like 1

Definitely go for a decent Intel i5 or an AMD Ryzen CPU. Ryzen will have 4 cores and 8 threads for only $229 or 4 core 4 thread for $129. For the GPU, I would personally wait until AMD Vega or NVIDIA Volta (both are new GPU architectures coming out in early to middle of 2017). 

Edited by hunteredh
Spelling Error