Sign in to follow this  
Xaero

How instruments could work in Identity

Using the mouse pointer and keyboard to play an instrument is going to be a challenge.  A way that I feel could simplify playing would to be able to assign more than one note to a key on your keyboard. Of course this would only apply to pianos and guitars, but you'd be able to create your own chords and play much more complicated songs.

As a piano player myself, I'd be faaar less constrained and it would make the impossible possible using only a keyboard and mouse.

Edited by Xaero
  • Like 1

I was under the impression they were going to let us upload or record MIDI files (or something similar) to do the actual playing. I think they are aware no one can play an actual song with a mouse.

17 minutes ago, Slight said:

I was under the impression they were going to let us upload or record MIDI files (or something similar) to do the actual playing. I think they are aware no one can play an actual song with a mouse.

I don't know where you got that from but they said it will be a mouse and keyboard. It's not impossible but it'd take practice like any actual instrument.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xaero said:

I don't know where you got that from but they said it will be a mouse and keyboard. It's not impossible but it'd take practice like any actual instrument.

It might've been something I just extrapolated then. Either way I think it's a reasonable assumption that they'll give you some kind of note editor. For instance, APB had a simple in game note-editor (along with its clothing editor) that would let you play a little jingle when you killed someone. You could also buy and sell songs on the market.

They did mention there would be opportunities to perform in public and with others which means they should flesh it out more than they would with some more trivial features. With a mouse you can't do chords or really play properly and people aren't going to be very interested in playing. Practice all you want, not gonna sound good. At the very minimum they'd let us map keys to notes so we could use a MIDI keyboard plugged into our computer (or just the computer keyboard of course).

Edited by Slight

8 minutes ago, DalDynamik said:

Will there be any VR implementation in the game?

The devs said that they are trying for that but so far they say that it will only be in like certain places e.g. the cinema.