Sign in to follow this  
Jared

Hearing Disability Support

Hello reader,

Identity will have a 3D sound environment, for when one is wearing headphones, correct?  Most games do.  As someone with a deaf ear, I find the surround audio to be somewhat unrealistic as everything to my left is completely mute; meanwhile, in the real-world, I can still hear a bit if someone is on my left side talking due to the nature of sound waves.

My idea is to have an option to set the audio to mono, sort of as if I was listening through my speakers (which, technically, still output audio as left and right).  I have tried to set my computer to send audio as mono to my headphones, but the limitations of my audio devices/drivers prevent me from doing so.  

For those wondering why I even wear  headphones, it's so that I can understand voice communication since without them, it's more difficult for me to understand what one is saying (i.e. mishearing words, or not hearing them properly at all).

It would really make my day to play a game that supports those of us with a hearing disability (in this case, complete hearing loss in one ear).  There are a very few games out there that support this and I have played a couple of games with mono audio settings in a 3D environment (I cannot recall any game titles at the moment, should examples be requested).

Regards,
Jared

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jared said:

My idea is to have an option to set the audio to mono,

Regards,
Jared

I have the same issue, if your headset doesn't have the option then set it to mono via the operating system :)

• Like 1

I believe it would take a bit of time but as the VOIP is a core mechanic of the game, i think it should be as important as colorblind mode if not more

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jinx said:

I have the same issue, if your headset doesn't have the option then set it to mono via the operating system :)

Thank you, I will try to give that a shot.  Never knew that could be done.  Many thanks!