uncannierlink

Some Advice for Inquiring Entrepreneurs

I'm seeing a lot of companies that are making complicated leadership structures that are completely unnecessary. If you're a startup company, you don't need managers and co-managers, and intermediate employees and journeyman employees and starting employees etc. Generally, you're company is going to have 2, maybe 3 jobs that is required for it to run profitably and that's it. It's also only going to need a 2 level leadership hierarchy. The boss (you) and the employees.

Another thing I see companies doing, is blatantly lying to their potential customers and potential employees about the size of their company. Do NOT do this. While in the short term it might make you stand out to act all high and mighty, people will see through it. Most companies already do this, and it's only going to hurt them in the long run. It will hurt you because you won't be able to uphold the expectations you set up for yourself and no one will trust you. 

TLDR: Don't make stupid leadership hierarchies, you don't need them. Don't lie about being the biggest company in the game: You're not. 

• Like 7

Such a true post, I always see people claiming their business are the biggest in this field and that, but how can this be when the game hasn't even come out yet lol!

On 12/27/2016 at 4:43 PM, KingBen1223 said:

Such a true post, I always see people claiming their business are the biggest in this field and that, but how can this be when the game hasn't even come out yet lol!

Business is built on trust. You can lie bend the truth with opinions (ie. the best new thing), but never tell your customers facts that aren't true. Believe it or not, a reputation for lying is the only kind of bad press.

5 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

Business is built on trust. You can lie bend the truth with opinions (ie. the best new thing), but never tell your customers facts that aren't true. Believe it or not, a reputation for lying is the only kind of bad press.

^^^

Word

Its called advertising sweetheart. If you claim that you are a well known company now, that helps to make you well known so that when the game does come out people will notice you and remember you from the forums. Its getting your name out there, AKA business. Instead of telling businesses not to advertise, tell potential customers to keep their expectations low. Real life companies use these tactics all the time, its just how business works.

Fully agree with your first point though, some hierarchies are unneeded, but I do understand the need for some. Its better to have a structure now and leave empty slots than change the structure down the line.

8 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

Its called advertising sweetheart. If you claim that you are a well known company now, that helps to make you well known so that when the game does come out people will notice you and remember you from the forums. Its getting your name out there, AKA business. Instead of telling businesses not to advertise, tell potential customers to keep their expectations low. Real life companies use these tactics all the time, its just how business works.

Fully agree with your first point though, some hierarchies are unneeded, but I do understand the need for some. Its better to have a structure now and leave empty slots than change the structure down the line.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't advertise your company or claim you are "the best" option out of your competition. I am talking about making claims that aren't true. While I can see there point and there is some wiggle room for the companies calling themselves "Mega Corporations" I am more talking about companies that claim, "We can provide service all over the island" or "we own real estate in all major cities." That's just not true, and will create distrust in your customers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

My point wasn't that you shouldn't advertise your company or claim you are "the best" option out of your competition. I am talking about making claims that aren't true. While I can see there point and there is some wiggle room for the companies calling themselves "Mega Corporations" I am more talking about companies that claim, "We can provide service all over the island" or "we own real estate in all major cities." That's just not true, and will create distrust in your customers.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Again, fully agree with that. The security firms are especially annoying, claiming to have amazing response times and armoured cars etc.