TheHellmare

Storage Units

I think it would be a neat idea to use holding spaces like Storage Units to house goods you simply do not want to see anymore. Perhaps some old clothes you wish to no longer have to rummage through in your closet, or some large pieces of furniture you no longer wish to see in your building interface, or maybe even a small vehicle if you feel like you just can't give it up (and have the storage space). With that there would be added fees of course for owning these units. You must pay the bills or suffer the loss if you don't. This could open up the possibility for actually selling units of goods if the owner can't keep up with the bills. A cubical of goods and junk for someone else to own and possibly put to use.

Edited by TheHellmare
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

I agree to an extent, I don't think it would work with storing small vehicles just because there is already a garage system implimented however being able to store items at a storage unit would be really helpful whether it is just house hold items, shop equipment/stock or hiding illegal items while they are waiting to be smuggled. Could work in a very similar fashion to apartments

On 17/08/2017 at 2:38 PM, TheHellmare said:

I think it would be a neat idea to use holding spaces like Storage Units to house goods you simply do not want to see anymore. Perhaps some old clothes you wish to no longer have to rummage through in your closet, or some large pieces of furniture you no longer wish to see in your building interface, or maybe even a small vehicle if you feel like you just can't give it up (and have the storage space). With that there would be added fees of course for owning these units. You must pay the bills or suffer the loss if you don't. This could open up the possibility for actually selling units of goods if the owner can't keep up with the bills. A cubical of goods and junk for someone else to own and possibly put to use.

I actually really like this idea although not for the purpose of storing vehicles since there's already going to be car garages in the game.

It would be useful for people with apartments and not much room to store everything, especially if they are a hoarder (did I spell that right?) like myself. And you could set up a mini-shop of your own, possibly an illegal one, in your storage unit. 

Lot's of great possibilities. (I'd like your post if I could but I've used my 10 likes per day :( )

Edited by xBrianHx

Adding to the concept of storage units, I was thinking about this today on a drive.

My thought was Storage Units could be a revenue stream for Asylum.

Disclosure: I don't think they are going for a sleazy cash grab by any means, but it hurts none to think of ways to help them make a return on the teams enormous investment of time and money, in a ethical way that they can continue to generate revenue to fund the studio and continued development.

Potential Requirements:

-Player must have a residence(to avoid people only using storage units-would negatively impact social experiences near apartments/homes)-you need a address when you sign up for a storage unit in most reputable places IRL.

-Perhaps limiting the # of units that can be rented at a time per character

Idea:

-Storage units could only be purchased with real cash.

-Rental period of X amount of days

-If the unit is not paid for by its due date, or returned the unit is put up for auction(again real money auction)

-The auction includes any contents left by the previous owner, sight unseen. Instead of people bidding a  lot of money for nothing(or let them), maybe they give the bidders a short description, ex: items in storage 0/50-empty, 10-20-small, 20-35-medium, 35-50-packed to the gills!

All of the proceeds from the rental, and auction go to Asylum. For the convenience of having a space away from your personal apartment or home to store stuff, take a friend to get kitted, store extra stuff.

This would all need to be a balanced in inventory size/capacity compared with whatever is available in apartments and houses, as to not push the need for a storage unit, but as a 'nice to have', Perhaps when you don't want to show the new join to your gang where you live, but want to have a place for them to store stuff, whatever.

Theres also opportunity here for delivery missions for drivers to bring peoples goods from home to storage, as well as the market pricing of the units themselves, rent near the city $X.99/month rent out by the farms something else a month. These could be instanced units and after expiry if not sold at auction, the contents could be removed from the server database.

Lootcrates, except a crate for YOUR loot.

Edited by Caustic_
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Caustic_ said:

Adding to the concept of storage units, I was thinking about this today on a drive.

My thought was Storage Units could be a revenue stream for Asylum.

Disclosure: I don't think they are going for a sleazy cash grab by any means, but it hurts none to think of ways to help them make a return on the teams enormous investment of time and money, in a ethical way that they can continue to generate revenue to fund the studio and continued development.

Potential Requirements:

-Player must have a residence(to avoid people only using storage units-would negatively impact social experiences near apartments/homes)-you need a address when you sign up for a storage unit in most reputable places IRL.

-Perhaps limiting the # of units that can be rented at a time per character

Idea:

-Storage units could only be purchased with real cash.

-Rental period of X amount of days

-If the unit is not paid for by its due date, or returned the unit is put up for auction(again real money auction)

-The auction includes any contents left by the previous owner, sight unseen. Instead of people bidding a  lot of money for nothing(or let them), maybe they give the bidders a short description, ex: items in storage 0/50-empty, 10-20-small, 20-35-medium, 35-50-packed to the gills!

All of the proceeds from the rental, and auction go to Asylum. For the convenience of having a space away from your personal apartment or home to store stuff, take a friend to get kitted, store extra stuff.

This would all need to be a balanced in inventory size/capacity compared with whatever is available in apartments and houses, as to not push the need for a storage unit, but as a 'nice to have', Perhaps when you don't want to show the new join to your gang where you live, but want to have a place for them to store stuff, whatever.

Theres also opportunity here for delivery missions for drivers to bring peoples goods from home to storage, as well as the market pricing of the units themselves, rent near the city $X.99/month rent out by the farms something else a month. These could be instanced units and after expiry if not sold at auction, the contents could be removed from the server database.

Lootcrates, except a crate for YOUR loot.

While I love the idea of storage units, I am not thrilled with paying real money in the auctions. Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of the auctions (I thought of the idea myself when reading the original post), but I would vote to pay with in-game currency. I dont disagree with you that Asylum should have some sort of way to generate revenue, but I personally wouldnt want to pay real cash for someone's left over plaid couch or box of nudie mags lol. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2012TM said:

While I love the idea of storage units, I am not thrilled with paying real money in the auctions. Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of the auctions (I thought of the idea myself when reading the original post), but I would vote to pay with in-game currency. I dont disagree with you that Asylum should have some sort of way to generate revenue, but I personally wouldnt want to pay real cash for someone's left over plaid couch or box of nudie mags lol. Just my opinion.

Cool, my post there is just thinking in the mindset of creating a revenue stream for them. As far as payment via in game currency, maybe the units are purchased with real cash, and paid for at auction with in game currency? It's hard for me to quantify the value of a unit at auction with IG currency with the very little we know about the economy in the first place, so to keep it simple I just mentioned RL Cash in, RL Cash auction out. I could see myself paying for a storage unit when I need it, like if I had to log off across the map with some supplies or whatever, but I agree with you as far as playing the auction for the chance that someone filled a full unit with Tactical bacon and I just paid $80.00 battling someone else at an auction for. But some people just want to play storage wars and YUUUP! a win at auction.

1 hour ago, Caustic_ said:

Cool, my post there is just thinking in the mindset of creating a revenue stream for them. As far as payment via in game currency, maybe the units are purchased with real cash, and paid for at auction with in game currency? It's hard for me to quantify the value of a unit at auction with IG currency with the very little we know about the economy in the first place, so to keep it simple I just mentioned RL Cash in, RL Cash auction out. I could see myself paying for a storage unit when I need it, like if I had to log off across the map with some supplies or whatever, but I agree with you as far as playing the auction for the chance that someone filled a full unit with Tactical bacon and I just paid $80.00 battling someone else at an auction for. But some people just want to play storage wars and YUUUP! a win at auction.

I could see paying real cash for the units themselves. That isnt a terrible idea. Assuming that when you win a unit at an auction, you only get the content inside, not the unit itself.  I agree with you about it being hard to quantify the value of IG currency since its so early in the game. I really like the idea of Storage wars to be honest. Do you think it would be hard to preview what is in the unit you are bidding on before the bidding begins? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2012TM said:

I could see paying real cash for the units themselves. That isnt a terrible idea. Assuming that when you win a unit at an auction, you only get the content inside, not the unit itself.  I agree with you about it being hard to quantify the value of IG currency since its so early in the game. I really like the idea of Storage wars to be honest. Do you think it would be hard to preview what is in the unit you are bidding on before the bidding begins? 

I like your idea even better! So the only units available for auction DO contain some sort of inventory content(expired leases w/ 0 inventory just remove access from the renter). As far as the difficulty of previewing the unit, I REALLY don't know. I know I read, or heard in an interview with John that you would be able to rotate items, lets say in a car trunk, to make them fit/make room for other things(I assumed they meant 3d real time(like furniture placement), and not just 2D rotation of an item's inventory image on a grid) if the prior IS the case, I assume a storage unit would share a similar codebase and be quicker(relative) to implement. 

The preview idea would be really cool, but I'm thinking very frugally with what I think might impact server/network performance(but the whole Storage unit idea might be a bigger database than housing, IDK lol), it must be my Arma 3 PTSD. I guess we need to see how the town square module performs to get some sort of baseline to ground our ideas, expectations, and feature requests to reality. But it doesn't hurt to throw the ideas out now, hopefully some other people chime in with theirs and/or a developer gets a light bulb while we wait for the first module.

aside: I was thinking much more free market ruthless with the auctions at the time I wrote about that. "awww, no items in unit, try again!" lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Caustic_ said:

I like your idea even better! So the only units available for auction DO contain some sort of inventory content(expired leases w/ 0 inventory just remove access from the renter). As far as the difficulty of previewing the unit, I REALLY don't know. I know I read, or heard in an interview with John that you would be able to rotate items, lets say in a car trunk, to make them fit/make room for other things(I assumed they meant 3d real time(like furniture placement), and not just 2D rotation of an item's inventory image on a grid) if the prior IS the case, I assume a storage unit would share a similar codebase and be quicker(relative) to implement. 

The preview idea would be really cool, but I'm thinking very frugally with what I think might impact server/network performance(but the whole Storage unit idea might be a bigger database than housing, IDK lol), it must be my Arma 3 PTSD. I guess we need to see how the town square module performs to get some sort of baseline to ground our ideas, expectations, and feature requests to reality. But it doesn't hurt to throw the ideas out now, hopefully some other people chime in with theirs and/or a developer gets a light bulb while we wait for the first module.

aside: I was thinking much more free market ruthless with the auctions at the time I wrote about that. "awww, no items in unit, try again!" lol

Very well said. Hopefully the town square module makes an appearance very soon. I do believe that will help us get a better grasp on what is and isn't possible in the full game.