Sign in to follow this  
Eternalis

Research based manufacturing

Hello.

It has been specified that every item in the game will be manufactured by the players. That being said, manufacturing has much room to become a field, which is focused not only on the products but the process of manufacturing too. I am not entirely sure how manufacturing is going to work, but I assume that there will be factories (or another unit), in which production will rely on the number of workers and resources available.

My suggestion is to make that manufacturing of every advanced item would require simplified research. For example, if the founder of a corporation wants to manufacture TVs, he would need to gain the ability in terms of research. Corporation could have a menu, in which founder (or high-rank worker) would select the type of technology to be researched passively over time. The research time would depend on the amount of owned factories, workers, and previous research. It could take from few days to few weeks. The researched technology would allow the operation of the specific type of equipment across a corporation.

I am not sure how far developers would be willing to go with research system - a simple strategy game-esque menu or real worker actions(science ?). But the purpose of gaining a technology before starting the manufacturing is simple. Newly founded corporations should not be able to outcompete old corporations the same day they are founded. Manufacturing should be a strategic process, that requires long-term planning.

Edited by Eternalis
  • Like 2