Sign in to follow this  
karl

CAD open source additions?

I'm new to this group, but if your map is wide and able to be extended, seems to me you could allow users to upload entire buildings using CAD drawings.  An open source platform for the map with no overwrite functions to prevent destroying other people's work. If not CAD, you could convert them automatically to your graphics format.  This way you could sell real estate in the game, which is exactly how real life works.  You could also generate income via in game advertising, which is also just like real life. And that's just the start. CAD Vehicles with matching controls, like a real flight simulator.   The more realistic you make it, the more people it will attract.  Then eventually new worlds, etc. The Matrix. 

The devs told us clearly we cant build our own houses. In the map they are managing to have over 100 houses (not appartments) so there will be no need, also if you put an own house, made by CAD you won't have the opportunity to costumize it like the ingame houses/appartments. The same thing for vehicles. We may have the chance to do it, when we have access to open our own privat servers.

• Like 1

Trust me, game dev is much more complicated than just "upload your own CAD model and everything will work". If that would be possible, developers would have to go in and spend time making the model usable in-game.

The only way I could see players being able to create their own buildings is if the devs make their own building creation system, which would probably take a pretty long time to implement and I don't think the devs will prioritise this any time soon.