Sign in to follow this  
teflondon

Allow the mayor to appoint a police chief.

I'm not entirely sure how the police are run but it would help if someone was in charge of organizing crime fighting.  Say for example "insert criminal syndicate here" is extorting businesses and the citizens need someone to protect them.  This puts pressure on the mayor to control crime fighting via his police chief.  The police chief could organize resources to protect points of special concern.  Instead of everyone running around like a chicken with their head cut off.  If the mayor is doing a shit job at fighting crime then they can get voted out for someone new.  Also the police chief to do things like use public funds (taxes) to pay off snitches for tips on crime operations.  Just someone who is in charge of more organized operations.

Edited by teflondon

7 hours ago, teflondon said:

I'm not entirely sure how the police are run but it would help if someone was in charge of organizing crime fighting.  Say for example "insert criminal syndicate here" is extorting businesses and the citizens need someone to protect them.  This puts pressure on the mayor to control crime fighting via his police chief.  The police chief could organize resources to protect points of special concern.  Instead of everyone running around like a chicken with their head cut off.  If the mayor is doing a shit job at fighting crime then they can get voted out for someone new.  Also the police chief to do things like use public funds (taxes) to pay off snitches for tips on crime operations.  Just someone who is in charge of more organized operations.

Hey there,

I can tell you now that official servers will have no one other than a dev a such as the Police Chief. This could change at a later point but it is better this way. Police cannot use taxes to pay off snitches, that would be you paying out of your own money more of.

The Mayor/ governor is in power by votes and cannot be voted out I believe, (I might be wrong on this one)but once the governors term finishes if he didn't do good then people won't vote for him again.

-LuckyDuck.

Although there are some flaws in what you say, the base idea of the mayor appointing a police chief I think is spot-on. Someone to organize the police force is definitely needed. I'd be fine with it being basic as well (it doesn't need to come with new features and such) it could just be a title given to an officer and the other officers then have to respect the chain-of-command.

This helps in more ways than one, it helps the mayor not have to micro-manage the police force (given their many other responsibilities this is much needed) as well as allow someone more qualified help organize the fight against crime,

That being said,

If you look at the Police FAQ in the Precinct section of the forums (Question #1), the developers note that there will probably not be a police chief at first. But custom servers will allow custom ranks, so we'll probably be looking at many servers creating a Chief role, but as to how it's assigned is up to the server. (Most likely it'll be an admin who assigns it sadly).

Edited by kriller509