Jkarstadt23

Gaming PC

Hey there,

So I've always been a consol gamer just because I've never had a reason to play on PC.

I am really interested in Identity and a couple other games I have stumbled upon. 

Can you guys help me out by telling me what the best kind of PC and monitor I should buy for a first time PC gamer. I'm tryna to stay pretty cheap I'm not going for anything crazy but I want a good PC that will run games smoothly and such. 

I would really appreciate the help thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jkarstadt23 said:

Hey there,

So I've always been a consol gamer just because I've never had a reason to play on PC.

I am really interested in Identity and a couple other games I have stumbled upon. 

Can you guys help me out by telling me what the best kind of PC and monitor I should buy for a first time PC gamer. I'm tryna to stay pretty cheap I'm not going for anything crazy but I want a good PC that will run games smoothly and such. 

I would really appreciate the help thank you.

Ok, I recommend building your own as it will work out cheaper likely but if you do some parts you should go for. (My opinion):

Graphics card: I would go for one of the GTX 10 series. 

CPU: I would recommend a CPU either of the i5 range or the i7 range.

RAM: 8GB or 16GB will work.

HDD: 1TB or more / or 1TB HDD and 500 GB SSD (Install windows and most demanding games on the SSD).

What is your budget? 

Also sometimes it is easier to just get a pre-built PC but that is not the best way to go some people would say.

I hope this helps you out more.

@Raffen, @Shimozukachi, @facade, @Capped, @Ragnar, @Fanature, @Radack, @HairyGrenade could give their opinions or anyone else on the forum as i know best to get more than 1 opinion on things to work around.

@Jkarstadt23 my PC was 1200€ dont know how much that is in $. 

Here are 2 Links of PC´s i already had

https://www.ibuypower.de/Store/Intel-Z270-Core-i5

https://www.ibuypower.de/Store/AMD-Ryzen-5-Starter

( just saying, you should know german because everything is in german or you just use google translate :P) 

The 1st one i´m still using as a " bugout PC" so its always traveling with me when i know i need a Pc ^^ ( dont ya tell me that i should buy a Laptop for traveling. i hate those things.) 

• Like 1

As an IT-System-Engineer in real life i could talk hours about chosing the right parts for your PC.

3 hours ago, Jkarstadt23 said:

I'm tryna to stay pretty cheap I'm not going for anything crazy but I want a good PC that will run games smoothly and such. 

That is a sentence i hear very often from first time PC owners. What exactly is your budget? If you have a budget which is in console range don't even think about that this PC will be good. A low cost build starts from 700$. But it's not something you should aim for. If you want something good but not too crazy aim for 1100$-1350$. The System requirements for Identity has not been released yet so i whould recommend to aim for a better PC. With a cheaper PC you will not have much fun. 

I will give you a example for a good PC now which has good parts and can run any actual game on high to ultra settings with very good framerate.

ATTENTION: This is my oppinion as an IT-System-Engineer and the experience i could collect in the last years. Not everybody will share this oppinion so please keep this in mind when posting. Thanks!

Case: Corsair Air 540 
Power Supply:  EVGA G2 650W
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz
Heatsink: Noctua 6 NH-D15
Mainboard: ASUS Z270-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Graphics: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 OR MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC (Depending on how much you want to spend)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 2TB
SSD Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB
(Optional) DVD Drive: Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

Costs: ~1350$ 

Many people think that this is much money, but you will thank me later when the PC runs very good and you don't need to upgrade it for a while.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Radack said:

As an IT-System-Engineer in real life i could talk hours about chosing the right parts for your PC.

That is a sentence i hear very often from first time PC owners. What exactly is your budget? If you have a budget which is in console range don't even think about that this PC will be good. A low cost build starts from 700$. But it's not something you should aim for. If you want something good but not too crazy aim for 1100$-1350$. The System requirements for Identity has not been released yet so i whould recommend to aim for a better PC. With a cheaper PC you will not have much fun. 

I will give you a example for a good PC now which has good parts and can run any actual game on high to ultra settings with very good framerate.

ATTENTION: This is my oppinion as an IT-System-Engineer and the experience i could collect in the last years. Not everybody will share this oppinion so please keep this in mind when posting. Thanks!

Case: Corsair Air 540 
Power Supply:  EVGA G2 650W
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz
Heatsink: Noctua 6 NH-D15
Mainboard: ASUS Z270-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Graphics: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 OR MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC (Depending on how much you want to spend)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 2TB
SSD Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB
(Optional) DVD Drive: Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

Costs: ~1350$ 

Many people think that this is much money, but you will thank me later when the PC runs very good and you don't need to upgrade it for a while.

With higher price range what can you recommend?

• Like 1

@Arcanion i know you didnt asked me but my brother is using the Omen by HP. 

runs pretty good, but i dont know any stats of that pc xD also its a high priced one. 

*Edit* here are the stats of the OMEN : 

• Intel Core i7 i7-6700K (4 x 4.0 GHz) 
  • 2 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD / 16 GB DDR4-RAM 
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 8 GB 
Edited by Ragnar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcanion said:

With higher price range what can you recommend?

Change the CPU to: Intel Core i7 7700 4x 3.60GHz (If you are Streaming or do Video Rendering an i7 is very nice)
Change the Graphic Cards to: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX OC Edition 8GB GDDR5X (TI Graphics Card is not need In my oppinion)
Change the Heatsink to a watercooled All-in-one solution like: Corsair H110i

@Jkarstadt23: Regarding my build above - you can also change the Noctua 6 NH-D15 to a Corsair H110i for better cooling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Radack said:

Change the CPU to: Intel Core i7 7700 4x 3.60GHz (If you are Streaming or do Video Rendering an i7 is very nice)
Change the Graphic Cards to: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX OC Edition 8GB GDDR5X (TI Graphics Card is not need In my oppinion)
Change the Heatsink to a watercooled All-in-one solution like: Corsair H110i

@Jkarstadt23: Regarding my build above - you can also change the Noctua 6 NH-D15 to a Corsair H110i for better cooling.

Currently i have a GTX 960 and want to upgrade it to something like a 990 or higher, i have a Intel core I5 6600K 3.50 Ghz with a 16 GB DDR4 ram card. Do you reccomend getting a better video card before upgrading my Intel core or after.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcanion said:

Currently i have a GTX 960 and want to upgrade it to something like a 990 or higher, i have a Intel core I5 6600K 3.50 Ghz with a 16 GB DDR4 ram card. Do you reccomend getting a better video card before upgrading my Intel core or after.

Your CPU is a solid one. I recommend to only upgrade the graphics card. i recommend to directly get a GeForce with PASCAL Arcitecture. In other words: Any Graphics Card from the 10-Series. Regarding of your budget the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 OR MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC. Both will get you a good performance boost :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyDuck said:

Ok, I recommend building your own as it will work out cheaper likely but if you do some parts you should go for. (My opinion):

Graphics card: I would go for one of the GTX 10 series. 

CPU: I would recommend a CPU either of the i5 range or the i7 range.

RAM: 8GB or 16GB will work.

HDD: 1TB or more / or 1TB HDD and 500 GB SSD (Install windows and most demanding games on the SSD).

What is your budget? 

Also sometimes it is easier to just get a pre-built PC but that is not the best way to go some people would say.

I hope this helps you out more.

@Raffen, @Shimozukachi, @facade, @Capped, @Ragnar, @Fanature, @Radack, @HairyGrenade could give their opinions or anyone else on the forum as i know best to get more than 1 opinion on things to work around.

a gtx 980 or better will most probably be enough.

i5 or i7 of the 5th gen (i'm useing a mobile 4th gen i7. 4700, and it's still good enough)

8 gb ram

1 tb only?! why not 1 petabyte?!?!

that's currently a mid to high build so.... enough for le game?

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing this thread out to me, @LuckyDuck!

So, like Lucky said, typically building a PC is way cheaper than a prebuilt because you aren't having to pay for them to put it together and paying for the manual labor it took them. BUT, that isn't always the case. For example, I bought a prebuilt PC worth $800 for $630 plus tax which ended up at $700ish. That was only because it was refurbished, which you shouldn't ever be scared of unless you're getting it from some random guy. Typically it means they just made sure no malware/other viruses were there and wiped the drives clean of everything, replacing parts if needed.

I would link my PC to you but it wouldn't be any help because now it's back at the regular price of $799.99

Thanks again @LuckyDuck for letting me share my information with this guy! :)

• Like 3

Housing

1 x Sharkoon VG5-W - Green € 15.00
Processor

1 x Intel® Core ™ i5 6600K 3:50 GHz € 190,00
BX80662I56600K      
Cooling

1 x Standard cooling € 0.00
standard cooling      
motherboard

1 x MSI H110M PRO VD € 0.00
H110M PRO VD      
Memory

1 x Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133 € 60.00
Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133      
Graphics Card

1 x Nvidia GTX 960 2GB € 35.00
GTX 960 2GD5      
2nd Graphics

1 x No 2 graphics card € 0,00
No 2nd Graphics      
Hard Drive

1 x 1000GB SATA III Hard Drive € 0.00
WD10EZEX      
2nd Hard Drive

1 x None 2nd Hard Drive € 0.00
None 2nd Hard Drive      
Optical drive

1 x DVD Recorder / Player € 0.00
SH-224BB-BEBE      
2nd optical drive

No 1 x 2 optical drive € 0.00
No-2nd optical drive      
Cardreader

1 x No memory card reader € 0.00
no reader      
sound

1 x Standard sound € 0.00
standard sound card      
network

1 x 1Gbit network € 0.00
1Gbit network      
food

1 x 600W Cooler Master power supply € 10.00
RS-600-ACAB-D3      
Monitor

1 x No monitor € 0.00
none monitor      
Accessories

No accessories 1 x € 0.00
no accessories      
Operating system

1 x 10 Windows Home incl. Installation € 109.00
KW9-00152      
office package

1 x No Office package € 0,00
Office package      
Security

1 x No security € 0.00
no security      
PC Tuning

1 x Yes, tune and overclock my PC. € 20.00
Yes tune and overclock my pc      
warranty

1 x 2 year standard warranty (FREE) € 0.00
Standard Warranty 2 years

My PC specs in full

I really think it depends on what you wanna do when playing and how you want it to look. If you want to stream and play games in 1080p or even 1440p then you can run most games on ultra with a gtx 1080. If you want Streaming games while playing games in 4k, you have the required connection, and you have the pockets to match your tastes. A 1080ti (maybe even x2 in SLI) will suit your needs. I have a 1080 SC, i7-7700k @4.2Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 @2400MHz, 480Gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Asus Z270 Mobo. I got a 4k monitor, but be careful when shopping for monitors. There are two technologies called Free-Sync and G-sync and they are to help with Syncing your GPU and monitor for a smoother picture. G-Sync only works with GTX or NVidia graphics cards. Free-Sync only works with AMD graphics cards. Make sure no matter what you do. You get what makes YOU happy. I am glad I spent as much as I did. I have a good powerful PC and my games look amazing. 4K gaming awesome. Games look like movies now and I'll rarely go back to console, except for those exclusives you can't get on PC. 

I really think that as in depth, and massive, especially now with SpatialOS. Identity is gonna require a hefty system is you want to experience it, in all it's pc awesomeness. I can't run every game I have at full ultra settings with 4k. I have some games when I run them in 4k I can only get  45-50 which is more than enough, but 60 is just crisper. So I've been told a 1080ti will have that 11GB GDDR5 memory needed to give me the extra FPS needed. So eventually I'll sell my 1080 SC and get 2 1080ti in SLI then you'll be future proof for quite awhile. But if your coming to PC from console get a PC worth getting, IMO it makes no sense to get a low end pc cause I'm pretty sure 4k consoles run better games, than low end pc's. I played on console till I had enough to get the type of PC I wanted. It took me a long LONG time, but I finally got here. And oh, is it beautiful.

Edited by JohnNYBlaze

@LuckyDuck: I've always had bought computers, which has NOT been gamer PCs, so since I was 9 years old, when I began gaming, I've been playing on toasters. I'm not that into hardware, and knows how to install hardware in a PC, so for someone like me, who hasn't assembled an PC before, would you still recommend me to buy the hardware and make the PC by my self? I'm tired of playing on a sh*tty computer, so I'm planning to get a new, but I'm not sure if I have to buy me a computer, or make my own, because I've heard a couple of people now, telling me that it's cheaper to buy the hardware and make the computer myself.

3 hours ago, MikaFromDenmark said:

@LuckyDuck: I've always had bought computers, which has NOT been gamer PCs, so since I was 9 years old, when I began gaming, I've been playing on toasters. I'm not that into hardware, and knows how to install hardware in a PC, so for someone like me, who hasn't assembled an PC before, would you still recommend me to buy the hardware and make the PC by my self? I'm tired of playing on a sh*tty computer, so I'm planning to get a new, but I'm not sure if I have to buy me a computer, or make my own, because I've heard a couple of people now, telling me that it's cheaper to buy the hardware and make the computer myself.

There are websites that you buy the parts and then they build you the PC for you I am certain. I bought a Gaming PC and so you can buy a gaming PC or select parts so that it can be built for you or just buy the parts and have a friend build it for you. So really you got 3 options.

You can also go and see a informatician / vendor, what I did.
I got a discount, a very good configuration plus very good advice :)

• Like 1