Hello Everyone/Devs, :)

So, I know the game will have Police, and Gangs. In the overview there is something said about Gangs declaring war on each other and certain PVP locations. I'm just wondering what will be in place to stop the world from going to chaos and you being shot, killed, robbed, kidnapped, or ran over by vehicles all day? I know on some Life games as well the criminals will wait for there to be few Police on the server and such. Will there be something to keep peace in the normal areas, or will this all be based on if there is police on? I know there may not be answers yet for these questions, but I just wonder about how it will run based on pass experience from life games/mods. How will Identity deal with this? 

Thanks for your time. :)

Sincerely, Nave

We will have a stress feature in place that we've built to discourage greifing and prevent random killings on official servers (private communities can disable this). It's based around stress, and is only a factor in specific parts of the world in spots within major cities.  When your characters stress levels are high, you will be vulnerable to attack, and when they are low, you will be less affected by damage. It can still happen, and you can still be killed in safe areas, but you have a chance to react.  Attacking other players in these 'safe' areas will cause your stress level to increase faster than your victims, so you will become vulnerable faster than them, allowing them to retaliate, or run away. Imagine that outside of these areas, having a full stress bar is normal, and inside these safe areas, players are given a buff.

Additionally, there are other safe areas where no damage can occur at all, usually inside specific buildings that we call Sub-Hubs, which are meant to be social gathering locations. This is because there are metal detectors placed in the doorways of such buildings that will remove your weapons temporarily while you are inside, but will give you all of your dangerous stuff back as you leave. Some buildings such as banks have metal detectors inside of them, but will allow you to carry your weapons past the metal detector, and will set off the alarm, initiating a bank robbery. Other Sub-Hubs will only allow criminals to enter, and not innocent civilians. The theme of the Sub-hub will match the desired social group that is expected to be there.

We've been quiet about this feature in the past because we aren't entirely sure how our community would react to it, but it is an important question, and is subject to change. Feedback is always welcome!

6 minutes ago, Motown said:

We will have a stress feature in place that we've built to discourage greifing and prevent random killings on official servers (private communities can disable this). It's based around stress, and is only a factor in specific parts of the world in spots within major cities.  When your characters stress levels are high, you will be vulnerable to attack, and when they are low, you will be less affected by damage. It can still happen, and you can still be killed in safe areas, but you have a chance to react.  Attacking other players in these 'safe' areas will cause your stress level to increase faster than your victims, so you will become vulnerable faster than them, allowing them to retaliate, or run away. Imagine that outside of these areas, having a full stress bar is normal, and inside these safe areas, players are given a buff.

Additionally, there are other safe areas where no damage can occur at all, usually inside specific buildings. This is because there are metal detectors placed in the doorways of such buildings that will remove your weapons temporarily while you are inside, but will give you all of your dangerous stuff back as you leave. Some buildings such as banks have metal detectors inside of them, but will allow you to carry your weapons past the metal detector, and will set off the alarm, initiating a bank robbery.

We've been quiet about this feature in the past because we aren't entirely sure how our community would react to it, but it is subject to change, and feedback is always welcome!

Thank you for your response. I love that idea of a stress feature in place. This being said, Will I know if my stress increases that I may be in a more dangerous area of the city/map? or will this only apply to a situation that's happening?

You will see a UI element pop up on your HUD indicating a change in stress based on where you are on map, and it will fade away as long as no additional changes occur to your stress level. Just something really simple to help you know which areas are safer than others. :)

3 minutes ago, Motown said:

You will see a UI element pop up on your HUD indicating a change in stress based on where you are on map, and it will fade away as long as no additional changes occur to your stress level. Just something really simple to help you know which areas are safer than others. :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I can't wait to see the progression and then the day we can get in-game. :) 

Edited by Nave95

7 hours ago, Motown said:

Additionally, there are other safe areas where no damage can occur at all, usually inside specific buildings that we call Sub-Hubs, which are meant to be social gathering locations. This is because there are metal detectors placed in the doorways of such buildings that will remove your weapons temporarily while you are inside, but will give you all of your dangerous stuff back as you leave. Some buildings such as banks have metal detectors inside of them, but will allow you to carry your weapons past the metal detector, and will set off the alarm, initiating a bank robbery. Other Sub-Hubs will only allow criminals to enter, and not innocent civilians. The theme of the Sub-hub will match the desired social group that is expected to be there.

We've been quiet about this feature in the past because we aren't entirely sure how our community would react to it, but it is an important question, and is subject to change. Feedback is always welcome!

You guys have definitely got some pretty good ideas going here :) Liking this very much.

I guess one thing that irks me, however, is whether or not committing crimes will have a good pro/con system. For instance, if I perhaps rob a bank, does the "payoff" depend on the bank's size or difficulty etc, or on some other kind of factor. The flipside is getting caught though, which made me wonder whether your sentence for your arrest would be decided by a cop/judge etc or by a predetermined list given by the server admin. I only ask this because I know how annoying some players are that decide to connect to a random server and basically kill on sight, and then leave before they're arrested, never to return again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Motown said:

Other Sub-Hubs will only allow criminals to enter, and not innocent civilians. The theme of the Sub-hub will match the desired social group that is expected to be there.

Any clue how that will be done? As I don't think a metal detector would work for that case alone. To keep criminals/civilians out of a desired place.

Will there be any reputation system in place as well?

Maybe that will be used to grant access to certain areas? Like if have a criminal reputation. You could walks up to once of those shady alley ways doors, and knock on it. And then, some NPC would open a small hatch in the door and peek outside. And if you're reputable enough, he'd open the door. Or send you away.

I don't know though? Just my idea of how you could potentially have a criminal only hangout.

Similarly, for law abiding citizens. You could have bouncers outside. Like a nightclub, who would only let you inside if you had a good reputation.

And then, there's just the neutral zones which would use the metal detectors. You could also combine a meta detector with all of the locations to temporarily remove the weapons in any case.

I don't know though. I just think those situations could be rather cool.

Would also be awesome if, I, for example, as a detective. Could bribe my way inside of those shady nightclubs in order to investigate a case.
Like in the movies. And then a massive bar fight breaks out. And I'd totally kick everyone's asses. B|

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Motown said:

What happens when your stress reaches a limit? Have you guys planned what's the whole point of the stress system?

8 hours ago, God said:

What happens when your stress reaches a limit? Have you guys planned what's the whole point of the stress system?

What if you commit suicide? Creeeeepy

Things just got odd.

Some dudes racing down the street from the cops, decided it's too much to handle right then and blap!

Cigarettes should def add a buff to this stress level, not like a thick skin but drop the meter so you don't off yourself.

Okay, were in the car, everyone smoke a cigarette so a stray bullet don't kill you right now.

9 hours ago, God said:

Maybe the cigarettes would give a sort of temporary buff, but then a big debuff when their effects wear off? Say your stress level is 50 and you take a cigarette and it decreases to 20. This lasts for 10 minutes, however it soon wears off, leaving you at 70 stress? Maybe?

Not such a climb, but that's def in the right mind frame. Make it a more gradual thing. I want my character addicted to cigs- so with that- I don't want to have to smoke every 2 minutes, and I don't want to over stress myself. I mean- I'll just use another when I notice my level climbing, but make it like 1% climb for those who chose the smoke life

1 minute ago, NutterButter said:

I don't think it matters but would there be smoke restricted areas/places?

I guess not :L The only reason you'd ever need them in the real world is for public health and I guess that isn't really an issue in Identity.

53 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

There is illness! :o

Goddamn it, this game keeps getting deeper and deeper xD