ExactAkatsuki

Quick Question About Theatres

2 hours ago, ExactAkatsuki said:

Exactly how will Identity LEGALLY play "real movies" in the cinema?

95c5692e0e1bce0dd1a3987e931d7c51.png

They will play the movies that are "Free and not Licensed"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesLuck01 said:

They will play the movies that are "Free and not Licensed"

Have you any examples? I'm kinda confused. 

It's pretty much most classic films, like Nosferatu, Night of the Living Dead, Wizard of Oz, etc... They didn't confirm any movies, but I'm pretty sure, like James said, it's any movie where their copyright has expired! ^_^ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExactAkatsuki said:

I believe all movies before 1932 are public domain. Also, copyrights last 75 years as long as they are renewed. (Not for sure, but it may be 95 years now, thanks to Disney's Mickey Mouse being created in 1928. Disney always seems to... sway people to extend copyright limitations making Mickey Mouse now public domain as of 2023 [unless changed again].)

I think most people are thinking these movies will be more up-to-date when in reality, that would cost way more money than Asylum would be willing to spend.

Edited by Lil_Fish
  • Like 5

If they are giving us those old movies, this copyright thing is the best that could happen to my ideal Identity.

No, I'm not one of those who say modern stuff is bad, but imagine the theaters displaying Nosferatu, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Casablanca...

Epic!

• Like 2

It would be interesting if players could produce their own films within the real world prior to requesting to play their movies within the theater. For example, one section within the "major theater" could consist of "home-made films". In the process, companies and political parties should be capable of purchasing advertising time PRIOR to the beginning of the film. For example, the intro-screen could consist of a few advertisements before the film begins.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

It would be interesting if players could produce their own films within the real world prior to requesting to play their movies within the theater. For example, one section within the "major theater" could consist of "home-made films". In the process, companies and political parties should be capable of purchasing advertising time PRIOR to the beginning of the film. For example, the intro-screen could consist of a few advertisements before the film begins.

But they'd be absolutely shit so theres no point. It's like handing over source filmmaker to a 14 year old who has no or little concept of how to use it. That'll be the sort of quality the majority of player made movies will come out as.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

But they'd be absolutely shit so theres no point. It's like handing over source filmmaker to a 14 year old who has no or little concept of how to use it. That'll be the sort of quality the majority of player made movies will come out as.

The theater company would be expected to review the film prior to confirming whether it is acceptable within the theater. For example, a decent home-made film would be classified as the following:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DLimit said:

The theater company would be expected to review the film prior to confirming whether it is acceptable within the theater. For example, a decent home-made film would be classified as the following:

That video is made by skilled individuals and probably took a hella long time. Is it really worth implementing such a system to bridge a gap in the market so small for people with the ability to create such content?

4 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

That video is made by skilled individuals and probably took a hella long time. Is it really worth implementing such a system to bridge a gap in the market so small for people with the ability to create such content?

It provides individuals with the ability to recommend unlicensed films within the theater.

It is not challenging to merely implement a system that involves requesting a link.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2017 at 10:29 AM, ExactAkatsuki said:

As someone who is working in the legal field in real life I only see it working one way. They will be using classical films that no longer have strict copyrights or they are being allowed to show the films by the Studio that was responsible for the production of the films they will be using. There are also many films that allow this sort of thing if you credit the creator, and in a game as big as Identity theoretically will be, small movie producers will hop on the opportunity so quick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dylan_Heisner said:

As someone who is working in the legal field in real life I only see it working one way. They will be using classical films that no longer have strict copyrights or they are being allowed to show the films by the Studio that was responsible for the production of the films they will be using. There are also many films that allow this sort of thing if you credit the creator, and in a game as big as Identity theoretically will be, small movie producers will hop on the opportunity so quick.

I'm not sure of the legal field you work in, but I don't believe this to be true... Things either have a copyright or they don't. There aren't levels of strictness. Most companies will not take "credit" because then everyone would do it for free and credit them. These industries are all about money, not credit. Also, games like Identity, have lots of violence and are unpredictable. Companies don't want their films to be around murders or associated with derogatory acquisitions from players because it makes their film look bad and there is always someone who gets offended and sues the person with the most money and usually end up settling for a fraction of what they were wanting because it's cheaper than going through the legal process...

IF Identity was as big as you're stating it is and didn't have the violence, companies would be paying Asylum for the advertisement. In addition to that, Identity is not very big compared to mainstream games such as Grand Theft Auto. A big company such as Rockstar sold probably close to 50 million copies of their last game within a couples years of it being released while Asylum has approximately under 12 thousand. Nothing to be ashamed of because this is a whole new style of game, new company, few employees, and a tight budget, but it just seems like you're impersonating a legal counsel without having actual knowledge or having done research.

If this is true then more movies will be able to be streamed as the years go on. This is interesting I'm looking forward to watching Gojira from 1950

On 3/21/2017 at 2:23 AM, Lil_Fish said:

I'm not sure of the legal field you work in, but I don't believe this to be true... Things either have a copyright or they don't. There aren't levels of strictness. Most companies will not take "credit" because then everyone would do it for free and credit them. These industries are all about money, not credit. Also, games like Identity, have lots of violence and are unpredictable. Companies don't want their films to be around murders or associated with derogatory acquisitions from players because it makes their film look bad and there is always someone who gets offended and sues the person with the most money and usually end up settling for a fraction of what they were wanting because it's cheaper than going through the legal process...

IF Identity was as big as you're stating it is and didn't have the violence, companies would be paying Asylum for the advertisement. In addition to that, Identity is not very big compared to mainstream games such as Grand Theft Auto. A big company such as Rockstar sold probably close to 50 million copies of their last game within a couples years of it being released while Asylum has approximately under 12 thousand. Nothing to be ashamed of because this is a whole new style of game, new company, few employees, and a tight budget, but it just seems like you're impersonating a legal counsel without having actual knowledge or having done research.

Yes strictness was a poor choice of words, I meant that how strictly the studio or company enforces the copyright. Of course sometimes the company isn't the one who reports copyright issues. So that all depends on how stuff goes. As for the credit that would only be for small independent films that are not as popular as IdentiyRPG(Yes 12000 may not be a big number for a game but I film and your first movie that is a huge amount of people,so many small not as well know directors will want to throw there film in to make a name for themselves) In terms of my Legal knowledge I haven't dealt with games much and have dealt with copyright issues a few times. Just giving my 25 cents on the whole thing though. Also thanks for showing me that I left a few things pretty vague. 

On 3/25/2017 at 7:38 PM, Lil_Fish said:

@Dylan_Heisner that was handled well, I'll give you props for that. I apologize that I may have come off as rude/mean. 

No not at all, it was my fault in the first place for being so vague.