Phiedrus

Suggestion: Make search bar more visible and tell first-timer to read the forum before posting

This suggestion comes from this thread.

There's obviously something that can be improved about the search bar when so many newbies come repeating the same questions, and creating tutorials or blaming them makes no difference. By the time the newbie realizes, he's no newbie any more.

Solutions or at least improvements may be:

- On the first post of a user, a message should encourage to read and use the search bar.
- Make the search bar visible. That is, really visible. Why not flashing?

Thanks @Hatoful

• Like 3

cooltext232765952039239.gif.9d69057a65ff

This might be just me, but this looks a little excessive. The search bar we have is not that hard to find. It's up at the top corner of the forums page.

Edited by Mentality
  • Like 1

I dont think the problem is that its hard to find or use, but no one thinks to use it. This is common on just about every forum.

• Like 1

As @facade says It's not about how easy to find or to use is the search bar. It's about how likely is that a newbie is going to use it, and the numbers speak by themselves. They will find it easily as long as they look for it, which is not happening.

Therefore one possible solution is to call their attention.

I personally have nothing against reading the same first set of questions over and over, because I see why it happens. I disagree with those who complain about newbie behavior and also complain about proposed solutions, without offering alternatives.

Edited by Phiedrus
Correction
  • Like 1

There are quite a few posts on this forum, and it might take a long time just to search for what u want an aswer to. For ppl just getting here its alot to absorb. My job is not to moderate...moderators who get pissed off because everyone isnt as computer, or forum savy as them, kinda defeats the purpose of having a moderator. Its like saying when i go to a store and ask where something is, and the associate treats me like im a moron, cause i dont work there and they might have to do their JOB, and save ME time looking for it. Since they have the experience and knowledge i dont.  An attitude like that can really turn someone off, and make them never come back to that store. Some ppl are on cell phones and things dont look the same for them, as they do on a computer screen...i can NOT see any signatures cause im on a cell phone. Ppl did not treat me like an idiot when they responded to my question. Point them in the right direction with all that knowledge, instead of letting the condescending attitudes drip all over the screen. It helps no one...If your not part of the solution....your part of the problem

Edited by JohnNYBlaze
Adding

6 minutes ago, JohnNYBlaze said:

There are quite a few posts on this forum, and it might take a long time just to search for what u want an aswer to. For ppl just getting here its alot to absorb. My job is not to moderate...moderators who get pissed off because everyone isnt as computer, or forum savy as them, kinda defeats the purpose of having a moderator. Its like saying when i go to a store and ask where something is, and the associate treats me like im a moron, cause i dont work there and they might have to do their JOB, and save ME time looking for it. Since they have the experience and knowledge i dont.  An attitude like that can really turn someone off, and make them never come back to that store. Some ppl are on cell phones and things dont look the same for them, as they do on a computer screen...i can NOT see any signatures cause im on a cell phone. Ppl did not treat me like an idiot when they responded to my question. Point them in the right direction with all that knowledge, instead of letting the condescending attitudes drip all over the screen. It helps no one...If your not part of the solution....your part of the problem

You're a big fucking turn off mate I'll give you that

5 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

You're a big fucking turn off mate I'll give you that

Try not treating everyone not as experienced as you like morons

4 minutes ago, JohnNYBlaze said:

Try not treating everyone not as experienced as you like morons

Mate I'll have you know mate that I'm no hypocrite mate i just don't appreciate mate the fact that mate you seem to have no chill mate and I literally don't care about anything you are saying mate so you may as well shout the words at your wall mate, as nobody is listening mate you get me mate you get me mate you get me get me get me mate

Dude i seen your post in reply to another post asking about consoles, and you have an attitude because your tired of reading that question. I thought it was un called for an woulda been alot simpler, as well as MATURE, to answer the damn question, instead of berating him for not looking for the search bar first

9 minutes ago, JohnNYBlaze said:

Dude i seen your post in reply to another post asking about consoles, and you have an attitude because your tired of reading that question. I thought it was un called for an woulda been alot simpler, as well as MATURE, to answer the damn question, instead of berating him for not looking for the search bar first

Nope it's the fact that we have to answer the same damn questions over and over again because new members can't be bothered just looking for even a second first. The answers are all there, and easy to find. You as a newbie cannot relate to this obviously.

• Like 1

No u just think that something should be one way for everyone its NOT, im on a CELL it dont show up the same for everyone. Maybe if u cant comprehend that theres alot of new ppl and this happens, mistakes are made when someone is new...but not to you right? Everyone should always know what, when, and where to do something...please shut up u sound really ignorant and young