Vrilyze

Family Tree / Inheritance / Will

An option to choose who your family is, both must consent. But never being able to remove them, only disown. You do not need the other players permission to disown them.

The option to make a "will" in game. Should someone stop playing Identity IRL or die IRL their items and properties can be transferred to someone of their choosing in their will. You can always update your will.

The way to know if a player has stopped would be if that players family member, or person in their will reports the player is inactive or has died. They would then have to wait 1 year before they could obtain their assets and items. Family members that are "disowned" cannot try to claim.

If a player is married and their partner reports that they have died or are inactive, they will also have to wait 1 year for inactivity before being able to claim items.

If a player has a will only the people in the will can recieve the assets. If the player has more than 1 family member it will Prioritize who is listed as their spouse, if no spouse, then child. If their family members are siblings, parents, cousins or aunts and uncles, it will go to who ever reported their death first.

This is a nice way to keep businesses running even once people are no longer playing, they can pass on their assets to someone else.

If a player comes back after a year they can dispute on having their things returned to them. After 2 years they can no longer dispute.

Edited by Vrilyze
  • Like 2

Idk. One year seems like a long, long time for a gamer. I kinda like the idea though. 

I remember reading a YouTube comment reply from the Devs about housing. If inactive for a month or X amount of time, you lose your home. Could be the same for stuff and other property. 

Great idea nonetheless, gotta work out some kinks. 

7 hours ago, Skid said:

Idk. One year seems like a long, long time for a gamer. I kinda like the idea though. 

I remember reading a YouTube comment reply from the Devs about housing. If inactive for a month or X amount of time, you lose your home. Could be the same for stuff and other property. 

Great idea nonetheless, gotta work out some kinks. 

Hm, I like the year given because some people do spend 6 months away at places in real life. Boot camp for example or needing a new laptop to run the game.

A year is a solid indicator that someone really is inactive.

Maybe implement something that puts a persons property on hold if the person in their will (or family member) reports it.

Have acceptions to this, maybe 2 months of inactivity the family member can have the choice to pay for the expenses of the property and "hold onto" the property until a year has gone by. Which will then give all the previous players items to the new owner.

If the player rejoins the game within this 1 year process they can simply claim back their items.

39 minutes ago, Vrilyze said:

Hm, I like the year given because some people do spend 6 months away at places in real life. Boot camp for example or needing a new laptop to run the game.

A year is a solid indicator that someone really is inactive.

Maybe implement something that puts a persons property on hold if the person in their will (or family member) reports it.

Have acceptions to this, maybe 2 months of inactivity the family member can have the choice to pay for the expenses of the property and "hold onto" the property until a year has gone by. Which will then give all the previous players items to the new owner.

If the player rejoins the game within this 1 year process they can simply claim back their items.

16 hours ago, Vrilyze said:

An option to choose who your family is, both must consent. But never being able to remove them, only disown. You do not need the other players permission to disown them.

The option to make a "will" in game. Should someone stop playing Identity IRL or die IRL their items and properties can be transferred to someone of their choosing in their will. You can always update your will.

The way to know if a player has stopped would be if that players family member, or person in their will reports the player is inactive or has died. They would then have to wait 1 year before they could obtain their assets and items. Family members that are "disowned" cannot try to claim.

If a player is married and their partner reports that they have died or are inactive, they will also have to wait 1 year for inactivity before being able to claim items.

If a player has a will only the people in the will can recieve the assets. If the player has more than 1 family member it will Prioritize who is listed as their spouse, if no spouse, then child. If their family members are siblings, parents, cousins or aunts and uncles, it will go to who ever reported their death first.

This is a nice way to keep businesses running even once people are no longer playing, they can pass on their assets to someone else.

If a player comes back after a year they can dispute on having their things returned to them. After 2 years they can no longer dispute.

I just want to point out that having the will for the property in-game is impossible to have as you must pay the rent or you will lose the property. Also This is a good idea, don't get me wrong but I don't think that is needed. There are no children, no sex and at first there is no benefits from marriage. You cannot have babies or children characters (I may have gone off the point a little) but You can only roleplay as a family member and nothing official to bind you unless married. There reason why if you don't pay the rent that you will lose the house is so if people go inactive for a long time then other people will have the opportunity to buy that house!

4 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

I just want to point out that having the will for the property in-game is impossible to have as you must pay the rent or you will lose the property. Also This is a good idea, don't get me wrong but I don't think that is needed. There are no children, no sex and at first there is no benefits from marriage. You cannot have babies or children characters (I may have gone off the point a little) but You can only roleplay as a family member and nothing official to bind you unless married. There reason why if you don't pay the rent that you will lose the house is so if people go inactive for a long time then other people will have the opportunity to buy that house!

There should be an autopay system, I seen somewhere that you can already autopay workers. So if someone had enough money already and had a good business it could keep going for awhile.

For example I have a 10 year old son, he also buys the game. He has the choice to list me as his actual parent in game. I'm not looking for "children" I'm looking for a system that you can list family. Not something that's really meant for "role play family". You'd get no benifits from having anyone listed as family other than the "will" option.

I've played many games where a close friend of mine will give me all their things when quitting but is unable to give over all their assets. While yes, in 1 case I have had a friend who gamed with me pass as well.

It's more of a territorial/materialistic thing for a person if they have a friend/loved one that will no longer be around, sometimes people find it comforting if they were able to take up their friends previous works. 

Maybe its still too early for video games to have things of this detail, I dream of the day where a game can have all the essentials.

Dan is a Police officer
Tom is a Civilian

Dan and Tom are good friends, but not listed as relatives. Relatives can automatically be listed in someone's will and will not need to be requested.

Dan has requested Tom if he would like to be in his will. Tom has accepted.

Dan has told Tom he will not be playing any longer. Tom reports Dan's inactivity.

Dan's items are: $1350 cash, 47 articles of clothing, 1 sports car, 1 bedroom Luxury Apartment, 1 House, 1 Coffee Shop, Police Car, Police Items, Furniture, Coffee Shop Tools, Food items, Weapons.

Tom cannot take Dan's police items because he is not a police officer.

Tom can "hold onto" Dan's assets once he's been inactive for 2 months; 1 Luxury Apartment, 1 House, 1 Coffee Shop.

Tom already has a house, but he has the choice to sell his own house and take over Dan's.

Tom sells his own house and holds onto Dan's. Tom cannot sell any of Dan's furniture until 1 year has gone by. But Tom can put Dan's items in Storage and put his own old furniture into Dan's home.

If Dan's items break Tom will have to pay to fix them or he can use his own items. Tom uses Dan's coffee shop items to make coffee, it breaks but he does not repair it.

If Dan comes back he will have to pay for the broken items, that is if Tom has decided to pay for Dan's assets to keep them running. If Tom chooses not to, they will go for sale like they normally would if a player does not pay rent to keep items running.

1 Year has gone by without Dan returning, Dan has selected all items that Tom will receive. Dan has selected "Everything" option. Tom receives all of Dan's cash, furniture, clothing, food, electronics, gear, and now has ownership of Dan's assets that he has paid to keep running.

If Dan wanted more than 1 person in his will, he would have to select who would get what asset or items. If he only wanted Tom to have his business in case he ever returned he would only select "Coffee Shop" for Tom to receive. Two people would not be able to share an asset.

For Dan's money, he would have to choose in what % of money each person would receive instead of an actual number.

Edited by Vrilyze
  • Like 1

While it's a decent idea. . .  I don't see it being practical.  Someone else benefiting off of another's demise just seems to be, selfish.

7 minutes ago, Saint6 said:

While it's a decent idea. . .  I don't see it being practical.  Someone else benefiting off of another's demise just seems to be, selfish.

The two players would have to agree to there even being a will in the first place. I don't see it as something selfish at all, as it happens in the real world everyday for these reasons.

But like I said though, maybe games aren't quite ready for ideas like this yet.

57 minutes ago, Vrilyze said:

The two players would have to agree to there even being a will in the first place. I don't see it as something selfish at all, as it happens in the real world everyday for these reasons.

But like I said though, maybe games aren't quite ready for ideas like this yet.

Your pledge items would never be leaving your account ever as they are permanent to that account and so everything you said except pledge items would be ok, but yes games are not ready for those ideas a such!

Edited by JamesLuck01

I agree to the "will" thing. There should be an option to link accounts so if one party reports that the original player has passed away and shows evidence, they'll receive access to their belongings. There should be email notifications asking if is this true and only let human admins make the decision. Recently a friend of mine passed away so suddenly and death isn't something to be taken as a joke or be profited off of.  

On 2/9/2017 at 3:08 AM, Vrilyze said:

1) An option to choose who your family is, both must consent. But never being able to remove them, only disown. You do not need the other players permission to disown them.

2) The option to make a "will" in game. Should someone stop playing Identity IRL or die IRL their items and properties can be transferred to someone of their choosing in their will. You can always update your will.The way to know if a player has stopped would be if that players family member, or person in their will reports the player is inactive or has died.

They would then have to wait 1 year before they could obtain their assets and items. Family members that are "disowned" cannot try to claim. If a player is married and their partner reports that they have died or are inactive, they will also have to wait 1 year for inactivity before being able to claim items.

1) I don't personally being locked into anything with any game. If I say yes I like to be able to say no down the line with no hidden or other links. Like Skyrim it was frustrating that once you were married there was no divorce option locked you in.

2) The Will idea is an interesting idea not really sure if it is really necessary. If it was me going to stop playing I would probably just give everything to the other person. 1 year is also a very long time for gaming 

Some neat ideas I just don't see them fitting with identity personally. :) 

Well.
This post has become an extremely unfortunate coincidence for me.

Edited by Vrilyze

On 2/16/2017 at 2:44 AM, Willc said:

1) I don't personally being locked into anything with any game. If I say yes I like to be able to say no down the line with no hidden or other links. Like Skyrim it was frustrating that once you were married there was no divorce option locked you in.

2) The Will idea is an interesting idea not really sure if it is really necessary. If it was me going to stop playing I would probably just give everything to the other person. 1 year is also a very long time for gaming 

Some neat ideas I just don't see them fitting with identity personally. :) 

1) The same reason why you might not like being locked into something would be the same reason why someone else loves it. For example I enjoy being a very extreme person. I have a lot of pride in spending lots of time on something more than others, and being locked into something that I could never really leave unless I wanted to show I left it has something satisfying about it to me. 

Maybe a solution to this might be a "timer" to show the length you've been someones "friend" or "brother" online would seem more interesting. It's not something that locks you in so it requires more self discipline if you want a "lock in" effect, you should also be able to show that timer to other people in some way.

This would make people who like to be secure in something be happy with the high numbers they have and the people who like freedom in changing labels.

Kind of like how Facebook has that "Friend" anniversary thing. It's more of a social / community addition to implement. 
Or how Runescape rewards it's long time players with items after they have played for 5 years, 10 years, or 15 years, and so on. Also making their accounts themselves more valuable.

Sure you may not get any buffs from being friends with someone for a period of time, but it would be nice to be awarded an achievement after X amount of years of being committed to a relation. Any kind of relation really, just like how Stores themselves should have anniversaries.

2) The "will" concept is more for if someone actually does die in reality, not an "inactivity" thing. The example I put above was for a more "happier" usage of it. So even if a year were to pass for that individual, they would still get more comfort just receiving the other persons items regardless. I don't know how else to explain it really, it's more of a rare experience to have someone you game with die on you. Not to be morbid or depressing but everyone dies.

As an everyday example again, Facebook has a "Legacy" feature which is letting someone of your choosing to operate your profile after you die and an option to turn peoples profiles into memorials.

These might not be very necessary to some people, but some people who like to leave their footprint, or have a very large community that follows them, it is a nice addition.

Again, it's also reasonable if videogames don't have this type of addition yet. I personally don't know of any game that has it and recommended it for how unique it would make the game be. If there is a game out there that has this though it would be nice to know.

legacy_featured.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, SilberDrachen893 said:

I agree to the "will" thing. There should be an option to link accounts so if one party reports that the original player has passed away and shows evidence, they'll receive access to their belongings. There should be email notifications asking if is this true and only let human admins make the decision. Recently a friend of mine passed away so suddenly and death isn't something to be taken as a joke or be profited off of.  

I am sorry for your loss, I too recently lost a friend only a week after this post.

His name was Sean Delaney.
Passed away this February 12th.