Sign in to follow this  
paulchartres

No OOC

So yeah, all's in the title. I was thinking after reading the post about kids and OOC raging, that there should just be no OOC.. Anybody knows if anything has been confirmed about that? No OOC means more roleplay (phoning, meetings, instead of just writing OOC "yo where you at") see what I mean?

10 minutes ago, paulchartres said:

So yeah, all's in the title. I was thinking after reading the post about kids and OOC raging, that there should just be no OOC.. Anybody knows if anything has been confirmed about that? No OOC means more roleplay (phoning, meetings, instead of just writing OOC "yo where you at") see what I mean?

Nothing has been confirmed but I agree.

@paulchartres I don't think that it will prevent people from using things other than RP. People have skype and other messaging softwares. If this game is released on Steam then they just press Shift + Tab (or any other overlay keys) and they text them over steam. :).

1 hour ago, paulchartres said:

No OOC means more roleplay (phoning, meetings, instead of just writing OOC "yo where you at") see what I mean?

Depending on the rules of the server, this could be considered metagaming. That's a bannable offense in most serious GMOD servers and I hope it is in Identity, too. As Rem said above, turning OOC off isn't going to keep them from doing that, they have other methods and if people want to do it then they'll do it regardless of whether OOC is on or not. IMO it should be at the very least set to a high interval so that the same person isn't constantly spamming chat - if it's not turned off altogether.

There's also most  likely going to be OOC in voice too. Since unfortunately voice is going to be enabled on the official servers, I've no doubt people are going to go off topic (and the trolls will of course be ridiculous) but that's something that can be handled by admins/mods. Personally I always found voice immersion breaking and would much rather sit and enjoy the calm, slow-paced back and forth via typing. I can't speak for everyone, but a 14 year old male RPing as a 20+ something female talking to you over voice chat isn't something that I find helps me keep my head in the RP.

Edited by lpriml

I gather what you're saying but in all honesty OOC is a necessity for certain situations. The most basic example of this is when someone thinks you've metagammed and they immediately PM you, which then gives you the opportunity to quickly clarify how you knew something etc.

Of course, the appropriate action would be to report that person on the forums but if there's no OOC at all then you can bet your ass there will be a tonne more reports that's unnecessary and wasting admin time.