Rem

Dear haters of Identity...

I've seen quite a few 'community backed' games come and go over the past few years, so it's amusing to me to see the same basic arguments being used for this game as all the others. It's also amusing to see all the same complaints about 'it taking too long' or 'it being pay to win', etcetera.

I'm going to back this project, at the minimum level, because it's being made by the people that created Altis Life (which is the most interesting Arma mod I've ever played). I don't have any expectations for Identity. I don't expect it to be finished in the 2-3 years. I don't have an opinion on how gameplay or game mechanics should be designed. I just want to see how the project unveils, and I want to give John VanderZwet a chance to make his dream game.

Too often, I see people trying to imprint their own ideas and expectations on games that are in development. They get upset when a game doesn't follow their logic or understanding, or it takes too long to develop. This happens from both haters and fanboys, and I think gamers, as a whole, need to take a step back and realize that not every game has to fit their specific requirements. It's ok for someone to develop something outside of the norms. We should enjoy a game for what it is, and try to understand what the developer is trying to make for us.

If the developer has clear vision, and the ability to make a good engine, then the game will be successful. It's important that we embrace this model of funding going forward. I think everyone is tired of AAA publishers releasing the same garbage again and again, and community backing is how we break that cycle. It's how we get back to getting games made by gamers, for gamers. Obviously, there's a lot of risk in this funding model but I feel that it's worth it if it uncovers those 'diamond in the rough' games that would otherwise remain hidden away.

I look forward to helping test this game, and although I don't plan on being active in this community, I will voice my input in a calm and logical manner.

And on a personal note REM: I look forward to hearing your radio broadcasts in-game someday :D . Your signature is a little huge though, so maybe trim it down a bit. I had to hide it, and now I don't know how to get it back.

Edited by JeffCraig
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, JeffCraig said:

I've seen quite a few 'community backed' games come and go over the past few years, so it's amusing to me to see the same basic arguments being used for this game as all the others. It's also amusing to see all the same complaints about 'it taking too long' or 'it being pay to win', etcetera.

I'm going to back this project, at the minimum level, because it's being made by the people that created Altis Life (which is the most interesting Arma mod I've ever played). I don't have any expectations for Identity. I don't expect it to be finished in the 2-3 years. I don't have an opinion on how gameplay or game mechanics should be designed. I just want to see how the project unveils, and I want to give John VanderZwet a chance to make his dream game.

Too often, I see people trying to imprint their own ideas and expectations on games that are in development. They get upset when a game doesn't follow their logic or understanding, or it takes too long to develop. This happens from both haters and fanboys, and I think gamers, as a whole, need to take a step back and realize that not every game has to fit their specific requirements. It's ok for someone to develop something outside of the norms. We should enjoy a game for what it is, and try to understand what the developer is trying to make for us.

If the developer has clear vision, and the ability to make a good engine, then the game will be successful. It's important that we embrace this model of funding going forward. I think everyone is tired of AAA publishers releasing the same garbage again and again, and community backing is how we break that cycle. It's how we get back to getting games made by gamers, for gamers. Obviously, there's a lot of risk in this funding model but I feel that it's worth it if it uncovers those 'diamond in the rough' games that would otherwise remain hidden away.

I look forward to helping test this game, and although I don't plan on being active in this community, I will voice my input in a calm and logical manner.

And on a personal note REM: I look forward to hearing your radio broadcasts in-game someday :D . Your signature is a little huge though, so maybe trim it down a bit. I had to hide it, and now I don't know how to get it back.

Well said and I agree with you, I have my ideas, but understand if they don't get implemented as i am not fussed about any of it but just thought they were cool things to add in the future as DLC's

a lot of the people hating on this game from what i have seen just cant understand a rpg games. . unfortunately the new age of gamers like braindead games where you dont have to use your brain at all and can just zone out to the screen and not have to put any time into it .so yes i understand this game in the era of gamers where living in will get hate but we who like it and enjoy using our brain and putting our time into games like this will just have to vote with our money .

I have more hope in this far superior then the people trying to make police 10 13.. all they've shown is rendered objects and cars that they could of easily obtained  by the internet.. they have shown nothing more.. they have shown they know how to place a building in the engine and do some lighting and render objects..  other then that there is nothing.. and there asking for 100k to make a tech demo.. I honestly think police 10 13 going to fail hard and be cancelled in less then 2 years to a year  there also a game called emergencynyc with little funding to none and less time have developed an actual tech demo that's actually on steam.. also have shown a video of what the end goal is in graphical detail and more.. if there any game that's going to fail it's police 10 13.. imo.

Edited by Joe

All very nice and pink......but: I've backed Identity even with doubts, and those doubts are valid ones. This is a very ambitious project, there has never been a successful crowd funded mmo, a AAA title, add to that their tiny Dev team and you've got a huge mountain to climb. Fingers toes and everything else crossed, but if they don't find a way to increase the size of their team I think they're going to run into big problems.

As an avid Hardcore/Serious RP'er I honestly was thinking "Wouldn't an actual game based on all the mods be great". This is just that, yes the devs have a long way too go but i don't think it's an overambitious project. With the drive that the devs have to provide this niche community with a game filled with in-depth RP experiences I believe they can do it (no pressure though).

It may not come at the deadline they've said but if they can produce a game at the quality that they're displaying then they have done their job, after that it'll be all the community creating real in world player to player interactions in a "real life" environment.

"SPEECH OVER" xD

Your determination is exceptional, but I guarantee you this post will not change the minds of those with doubts, and your efforts to do so has actually probably only appealed to those who already don't have doubts for the game.

• Like 1