Lyriam

Here is how modding will extremely probably work: accessing a modified version of Unreal Editor

Hi. Many people asked here how modding will work in this game, and it is really obvious. This game is made in Unreal Engine 4. It is a shared source game engine that anyone can download for free. The devs will provide a modified version of Unreal Engine 4 editor, that forbids access to game's C++ code, but allows you access to Blueprints, a visual scripting system. You will be able to download the custom editor from Epic Games page. In editor, you could do almost anything you want on your server. Altough you couldn't access the C++ code dirrectly, the devs will insert hooks in Blueprints, so you could still change or develop stuff.

All the games using Unreal Engine 4 have taken this route when speaking of modding. I don't see this game different.

I've attached to this post an image of Blueprint graph, to see how the scripting looks for turning a light on and off when entering a certain volume. You'll script existing and new things in similar way on your private server.

If the devs succeed to modify the editor so multiple players could use multiple editors in the same time, on the same scene, that would be awesome.

Lightswitch_tut_blueprint1.jpg

• Like 2

Cool, but I would rather no modding. (for my own reasons) also they said that modding could be possible to do in the future after full game release but no guaruntee.

15 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Cool, but I would rather no modding. (for my own reasons) also they said that modding could be possible to do in the future after full game release but no guaruntee.

Why not ? Modding brings new life into games. For example a modder of Ark, a game made on the same engine as this one, made a map so awesome that the devs included it in the official game and even hired him at their studio. The map was way better than the ones in the original game. Imagine what modding could bring to this game...a new kind of Open Sim with Unreal graphics, and a lot more activities to do. Blueprints also make scripting a lot easier for everyone . The community potential is huge for this game .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lyriam said:

Why not ? Modding brings new life into games. For example a modder of Ark, a game made on the same engine as this one, made a map so awesome that the devs included it in the official game and even hired him at their studio. The map was way better than the ones in the original game. Imagine what modding could bring to this game...a new kind of Open Sim with Unreal graphics, and a lot more activities to do. Blueprints also make scripting a lot easier for everyone . The community potential is huge for this game .

I would rather the developers do DLC's than have servers modded. But yes modding has true potential but when modding comes it takes over the game and you will find that no one plays the servers without modding and it ruins it, mods take over the game and some people could make a lot of new content for their server and then the non modded servers won't survive if they don't mod with custom content if they are newly up.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

I would rather the developers do DLC's than have servers modded. But yes modding has true potential but when modding comes it takes over the game and you will find that no one plays the servers without modding and it ruins it, mods take over the game and some people could make a lot of new content for their server and then the non modded servers won't survive if they don't mod with custom content if they are newly up.

I agree with you that most players would rather prefer playing on a modded server than on a vanilla one. Still, there is a catch: modders do this for free, while the devs are paid to create content. A game being able to be modded raises the revenue of the devs, because of free marketing. Take a look at Minecraft how big it became because of modding and player empowering in the creation process. Once the devs have more money, they could evolve the vanilla game so it is a step ahead of the modding community. As you said, the devs could release DLCs, but mods could get support for the DLCs only after some time has passed. Some players decide to stay on vanilla, so there is a crowd for that too. And there is another thing: economy. On a modded server, there could be some restrictions on that.

@Lyriam

I agree with you somewhat. Modding is a very nice feature in games that keeps it from getting stale as playing the same thing over and over gets boring very quickly. I feel that the best players and the "OG" players will stay on the vanilla servers and the new players would go onto "assisted" servers where you might start with some extra money or have a car to start. This could make this game more players friendly where new players could go into the previously mentioned assisted servers and learn the ropes of the game before playing the official servers which may be a bit more unforgiving in mistakes that you make.

Modding would mean spreading across different servers, I'd imagine 3 servers depending on playerbase, it seems the developers are wanting to bring more immersion to the scene, seeing people drive on the road, walking the streets,etc would create more of an experience, instead of seeing 1 -3 cars pop up every so often.