heathington

300 per server, on huge map?

I have just been looking at the game, it seems really ambitious and super exciting. However, I noticed in the Q and A that only 300 concurrent players will be able to be active per server. Eve Online can support more than 20,000 at a time, many independent games can support a fair bit more than 300 per server. Will this be enough? With the grand scale that you guys expect to have in the game world, wouldn't life be pretty boring playing the game? Wouldn't there just be everyone in a particular area, a small dense mass with hardly any stragglers? If I were hunting in a remote location, I'd like to see just one other guy I have to worry about. Regardless, it looks AMAZING. I am personally super excited to get a hold of it. It looks great, keep up the good work, it's independent gamers who want to make games that others enjoy that drivers the current market, not big corporations. It''s established that AC and COD is dying, and we need games like this. Anyway, yeah. Was just wondering :D

The scale will be enough, they said the map will be about twice the size of GTA 5's map, and I think they said it'd take about an hour to walk across it or something, but with no aircraft in the game you will be able to see players quite often.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heathington said:

However, I noticed in the Q and A that only 300 concurrent players will be able to be active per server. Eve Online can support more than 20,000 at a time, many independent games can support a fair bit more than 300 per server.

That is the developers goal to make it so 300 players can fit on each server. They said they are adding 300 houses to the map, + apartments and more. This will be a official server figure, but the community servers may be able to get more than 300 players slots per server, but I think 300 is good goal.

• Like 2

If you have played Arma Altis life, servers with more than 100 players are more than enough.

• Like 1

Since I haven't seen the map yet, I cannot say for sure. But based on what I've heard, I think 300 players would suffice your needs. But by the same token, 300 players does sound kinda small for a map that is supposedly larger than Grand Theft Auto 5's map. But I guess only time will tell. Hopefully private servers will be allowed to add more player-slots.

Remember, it's a cap.....it means you can only have three hundred people on a server at any one time.

I dont think its about the quantity of players but more of the quality of people are playing. But hey thats just my opinion :)

• Like 1

@ShenjiNagasaki

Im sure that they accoounted for all of this and remember that 300 is the cap. There won't be 300 people on at all time by the time a year passes. Also, they are most likely getting the top of the line servers for this to support the lag of 300 people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShenjiNagasaki said:

While having 300 people is great I can't imagine what the lag would be like. Mafia, Street Racing, Police, Drug Dealers. It seems like it would fit perfectly but the lag of everything would get crazy. But if they can pull it off that would be amazing. It would feel really alive.

Arms runs great for me with 100 players so I'm sure its possible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShenjiNagasaki said:

I'm not saying it won't but, how big is the Arma map compared to Identity?

Arma is 270 km and Identity is expected to be 200 km but most of arma's altis map is deserted land.

15 minutes ago, RoniQ15 said:

Arma is 270 km and Identity is expected to be 200 km but most of arma's altis map is deserted land.

70 square miles identity map is specifically. (more land mass than arma.)

• Like 1

On 30/11/2016 at 4:52 AM, heathington said:

I have just been looking at the game, it seems really ambitious and super exciting. However, I noticed in the Q and A that only 300 concurrent players will be able to be active per server. Eve Online can support more than 20,000 at a time, many independent games can support a fair bit more than 300 per server. Will this be enough? With the grand scale that you guys expect to have in the game world, wouldn't life be pretty boring playing the game? Wouldn't there just be everyone in a particular area, a small dense mass with hardly any stragglers? If I were hunting in a remote location, I'd like to see just one other guy I have to worry about. Regardless, it looks AMAZING. I am personally super excited to get a hold of it. It looks great, keep up the good work, it's independent gamers who want to make games that others enjoy that drivers the current market, not big corporations. It''s established that AC and COD is dying, and we need games like this. Anyway, yeah. Was just wondering :D

I feel your feeling. I'm used to play mmorpg's like Lineage 2 where you can find like 5k players in just one server at same time. 300 is too small for a game with variety of things to do, a career to pursue, skills to grow, places to explore, people to find and know, trades to do, goods to deliver. Oh! Come on! This is a massive rpg or not? If the official server will have a cap in 300, let the private servers the ability to host more than 1k and so on, like in MTA or ETS2 Online.

Thanks for bring our dream to our reality.

Personally, I think 300 people per server in a 225 KM squared map is plenty. (Although more would be cool)

Even 100 people in an area that size in, for comparison a game like Arma or DayZ is a pretty dense population. I'm confident that with some testing they will find the sweet spot for the Player cap. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trustvainer said:

I feel your feeling. I'm used to play mmorpg's like Lineage 2 where you can find like 5k players in just one server at same time. 300 is too small for a game with variety of things to do, a career to pursue, skills to grow, places to explore, people to find and know, trades to do, goods to deliver. Oh! Come on! This is a massive rpg or not? If the official server will have a cap in 300, let the private servers the ability to host more than 1k and so on, like in MTA or ETS2 Online.

Thanks for bring our dream to our reality.

But you need to think about a lot of things. The dev's said there will be 300 houses which are unique/ 2 floors likely (or more even). Having 1k players will be good but 300 houses are not enough (Yes there are unlimited apartments but most people will want a house.) You need to remember that they are going to be testing and the 300 player cap is their goal but if the servers can handle more then they said they will go for more and so if the servers can handle 500 then that could be the cap. Beta is when they will test more with the cap to make sure they have the right cap.

• Like 1

I get all this stuff about 300 being enough, or it being a starting goal, but GTA V already gets boring with the amount of players it has. I imagine 300 on a map twice that size will still have some emptiness to it which will kill the immersion. Unless there are going to be NPCs then this is a big negative. The city would feel too quiet. 

My biggest confusion with all of this is, how will leaving a server change anything? Will I lose all my stuff? Will houses be instance based (That would ruin it a lot for me)? If 300 people are playing on a server, what happens if two people own the same house? The only possible idea I have is that you'd lose everything when you leave, but that sounds like a nightmare. 

Edited by Mazzy

What if half the people stop playing on your server? The slots are taken up and now you will only ever get to see 150 people?

If your server fills up, how will you be "able to join your friends no matter how much longer they've been playing than you"? An MMO where I can't show off my stuff to my friends is hardly worth playing. 

Also, it seems like after a while, you'll know most of the people. I'm from a small town irl. It doesn't take long to know or recognize everyone. 

Still new to looking at what the game has to offer, so maybe these concerns are not founded. idk.

On 05/02/2017 at 6:05 PM, Mazzy said:

My biggest confusion with all of this is, how will leaving a server change anything? Will I lose all my stuff? Will houses be instance based (That would ruin it a lot for me)? If 300 people are playing on a server, what happens if two people own the same house?

1. Leaving a server won't change anything.

2. They are Instanced but (3.) ONLY 1 person can own that house on the server.

8 hours ago, Rylet said:

What if half the people stop playing on your server? The slots are taken up and now you will only ever get to see 150 people?

1. There will be a kick system with a certain AFK time allowed I would say.

8 hours ago, Rylet said:

If your server fills up, how will you be "able to join your friends no matter how much longer they've been playing than you"? An MMO where I can't show off my stuff to my friends is hardly worth playing. 

You will have to wait for a slot to open up, because that's how games work mostly. You will be able to join your friends if it is not full.

8 hours ago, Rylet said:

Also, it seems like after a while, you'll know most of the people. I'm from a small town irl. It doesn't take long to know or recognize everyone. 

Well I am sure 300 players are the max to be on at one time but it does not mean that it is limited to the first 300 players, That is not how it works. 

@heathington @Ubbe @Buckets I double checked as the info on the amount of houses was from a long time ago and I was told that it will be less than 300 houses on the map because the devs want it to make you feel like you have accomplished something by getting the house.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

1. Leaving a server won't change anything.

2. They are Instanced but (3.) ONLY 1 person can own that house on the server.

You will have to wait for a slot to open up, because that's how games work mostly. You will be able to join your friends if it is not full.

Well I am sure 300 players are the max to be on at one time but it does not mean that it is limited to the first 300 players, That is not how it works. 

Okay, yeah, I wasn't sure which direction they were going with regards to the servers. Sounds like a lot of people won't be playing on the exact same server every time they play then. 

So if you can carry progress from one server to another, what's to stop one person from going to each server and buying up all the houses? 

10 hours ago, Rylet said:

Okay, yeah, I wasn't sure which direction they were going with regards to the servers. Sounds like a lot of people won't be playing on the exact same server every time they play then. 

So if you can carry progress from one server to another, what's to stop one person from going to each server and buying up all the houses? 

You Furniture in your apartments don't carry over and only 1 person on each server can buy that house, but you only can buy 1 house on a server i believe. Also if you don't pay the rent on the server then you will lose the property.

12 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

but you only can buy 1 house on a server i believe. Also if you don't pay the rent on the server then you will lose the property.

This is not accurate at all. They said one of the top ways to make money will be real estate.