SquishyA

How will we Role Play

Question

So my question is, how will we/you/us role play? 

Personally I have always text role played, even in Second Life everyone, in a character setting, role plays using text. Usually with paragraphs of detail.

Will that be the community standard in game? Will we instead use voice and rely on the animations and emotes of our avatars/characters for other people to see and react to?

What are you thoughts?

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

As restricting as it may be for some people, I am a firm believer in roleplay ingame strictly being through voip. Text based roleplay in a game like this creates unnecessary delay and can ruin immersion immensely.

• Like 2

Personally, I think it could be fun using voice, but it would be even better if we could use a voice that would make sense for the character, i.e. a voice changer, be it integrated or through a 3rd party application. 

Also, it's important to note, many people don't like talking/chatting in voice. Having ONLY voice as an option would really put off a lot of people. It's always better to have choices, rather than be pigeon-holed into anything. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, shay888 said:

Personally, I think it could be fun using voice, but it would be even better if we could use a voice that would make sense for the character, i.e. a voice changer, be it integrated or through a 3rd party application. 

Also, it's important to note, many people don't like talking/chatting in voice. Having ONLY voice as an option would really put off a lot of people. It's always better to have choices, rather than be pigeon-holed into anything. 

I think having choices would be great too. Especially for deaf people and the hearing impaired. Of which I am. I know having a built in system that can translate what people are saying into text would be super useful and would give people using text something to reference in their reply

• Like 3

I personally never really played any role playing games, but this game looks super awesome and fun. As far I heard through different developer interviews etc.. There will be mainly voip but texting also.

On 10/23/2016 at 4:45 PM, AlanB said:

As restricting as it may be for some people, I am a firm believer in roleplay ingame strictly being through voip. Text based roleplay in a game like this creates unnecessary delay and can ruin immersion immensely.

I haven't had this experience and I have only done text-based roleplay, in-game and via Discord and Skype. I have yet to roleplay any characters of mine with voice, although it looks like it would be a blast. Still, I'm hoping for options.

On 24/10/2016 at 5:06 PM, shay888 said:

Not only that, it comes down to a lot of other things too:

Rubbish Connection

Rubbish Microphone

They can't talk at that moment in time (Eg, family round or late at night)

Or like sometimes in my case, when I can't be arsed talking xD

So yeh text chat is probably a good idea

• Like 1

On 25 October 2016 at 3:40 AM, SquishyA said:

I think having choices would be great too. Especially for deaf people and the hearing impaired. Of which I am. I know having a built in system that can translate what people are saying into text would be super useful and would give people using text something to reference in their reply

I agree. Voice changers would be good to allow us to better roleplay our characters eg if we RP as so,eons of the opposite sex

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 0:10 AM, SquishyA said:

Personally I have always text role played, even in Second Life everyone, in a character setting, role plays using text. Usually with paragraphs of detail.

Will that be the community standard in game? Will we instead use voice and rely on the animations and emotes of our avatars/characters for other people to see and react to?

What are you thoughts?

Motown gives a answer you are looking for on this thread. Which you have the choice to use voice or text.

On 10/23/2016 at 4:10 PM, SquishyA said:

What are you thoughts?

1 I hope It wont be asylum 2.0 with just quick hands up or die via VOP or TXT but we need to wait and see

Wouldn't both make more sense, allowing the player to choose would attract a wider range of people. Some people just have anxiety(I guess?) to even talk. Text is how I've RP'd in previous experience on other games. A problem I think the game is going to have is moderation. Even though it's a pay to play game, trolls are extremely likely to get on, as I expect with every roleplay scene.

EDIT, I saw a post from a dev saying that they will be using both.

http://prntscr.com/dearaf

Edited by jremi