GeneSmith

Gene Smith for Governor

IMG_1859.thumb.PNG.c1a00bc27a749e7076f19

Hello people of Identity. My name is Gene Smith and I'm running for Governor of The Island. I know that the game currently isn't out and nothing is set in stone but I wanted to set out my campaign. 

I've taken my time to carefully think about different answers for popular questions.

What will you do about Property Taxes?

What will you do about Gun Control?

What will you do about regulating taxes?

What are your thoughts about Health Care?

What you can do for the working man, and what will you do about the crime?

------------

Property Taxes are Taxes you pay to keep your business running or your home from being taken away. Property taxes are unnecessary and unneeded. Property Taxes need to be removed completely and focusing on taxing other things. You should not have to pay for something you helped build just to live in fear of it being taken away.

-----

Gun Control is something that everybody talks about when somebody gets shot. Well the hard truth is, guns don't kill people. People kill people. A person has to load the gun, aim the gun and pull the trigger. We don't need control on guns. We need control on the people who have the guns. If you have a criminal record and you have been known to kill you will have to run a background check before you're able to get your guns.

------

Regulating Taxes on working people will not only bring more jobs but also putting more people in those jobs. A person who makes 8$ an hour gets taxed 5%,10% and even 15% and sometimes even up to but not limited to 35%. You take a middle class man who works 10 hours a day and makes 10 dollars an hour. He gets taxed 15% for his week of pay. He takes home 425$ or somewhere around there. That money could be going towards his house payments. His food. His utilities or even buying clothes for his children. Regulating taxes is the number one thing we need to work on. I want to lower the tax rate to at least 3% to give the lower/middle class man or woman that extra incentive to work harder for those promotions. A happy worker is a hard worker.

-------

Health Care is the most important thing. Canada-while their government isn't the best- they do have free health care. Free health care is the most important thing that we need to work on. While Canadians have to pay higher taxes for free health care we will not. Regulating taxes is what needs to happens. 

---------

The working man is the best type of man. A man who isn't afraid of trying to support his family and trying to make his household happy. The working man is the backbone of our community. I've seen plenty working men and woman that have started their own companies based on the fact to grow more and create more jobs. They make more money for our homes and government. I want to work on. Not taxing the working person not because they're special but because they deserve what they worked for. Why take that away? And crime is something that I will talk about later if necessary. Thank you for your time. 

Edited by GeneSmith
  • Like 10

I'm curious as to where you will get the money for universal healthcare if not through higher taxes?

• Like 2

Also, guns do kill people. Why would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to do a background check on people when you could easily ban guns and only sell them to a few licensed and registered people?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BluePandaIta said:

Also, guns do kill people. Why would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to do a background check on people when you could easily ban guns and only sell them to a few licensed and registered people?

Guns dont kill people. People kill people. There's always a finger behind the trigger. Gun licensing and permits are the best thing to do. Banning all guns will cause a revolt.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, xPadrinho-AC3 said:

Guns dont kill people. People kill people. There's always a finger behind the trigger. Gun licensing and permits are the best thing to do. Banning all guns will cause a revolt.

Gun control doesn't cause revolts, it discourages people from buying guns, and that's good. Less guns is obviously a better idea than more guns

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BluePandaIta said:

Gun control doesn't cause revolts, it discourages people from buying guns, and that's good. Less guns is obviously a better idea than more guns

He'll yes it does. Rumors were going around that the Pres wanted to take away all guns which is against the 2nd Amendment and every gun owner were ready to revolt. And you're idea isn't even gun control. You just want all guns banned. Real gun control us licensing, permits and background checks. That's real him control.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BluePandaIta said:

Less guns isn't better, legal and Permitted guns are better. Taking Weapons away prevent the society from properly arming itself against its own government, if there is a need to revolt. 

Limiting or banning all guns will just created a major underground market of illegal weapon sales. The only portion of society that would iad is the criminal element, not the peaceful citizens. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RevanPG said:

I'm curious as to where you will get the money for universal healthcare if not through higher taxes?

Well the main goal would to not completely take out taxes but lower them for a more economic focused community. Where there is no lower class only middle and upper. The healthcare system has been something I've been working on steadily to try and make happen but I can see that I've made a mistake by offering it. Mainly because the tax revenue would be cut nearly 90% so I would have trouble balancing it out.

3 hours ago, BluePandaIta said:

3 hours ago, xPadrinho-AC3 said:

He'll yes it does. Rumors were going around that the Pres wanted to take away all guns which is against the 2nd Amendment and every gun owner were ready to revolt. And you're idea isn't even gun control. You just want all guns banned. Real gun control us licensing, permits and background checks. That's real him control.

I've been asked about this and criticized for this many times. In the past four years from 2012 to 2016 the number of gun store robberies show a 22% jump in theft. Meaning that if there isn't a regulation on who can have them and who can't they'll just steal the guns anyways. Banning it would cause a revolt as he said mainly because people don't like it when their free will is tampered with. They want the freedom to do what they want. Think of it more as a reward system. If you're an upstanding citizen than you should be able to get guns. But if you've committed crimes you will be told you cannot have them.

3 hours ago, The1TheOnlyGonzo said:

Less guns isn't better, legal and Permitted guns are better. Taking Weapons away prevent the society from properly arming itself against its own government, if there is a need to revolt. 

Limiting or banning all guns will just created a major underground market of illegal weapon sales. The only portion of society that would iad is the criminal element, not the peaceful citizens. 

The underground sale of munitions is something I'm fully aware of if I try and pass this law. There's always going to be people making shortcuts to get weapons and I understand that. But my goal is to make the city safe rather than making it a utopia. 

I hope I answered all of your questions appropriately and tried to answer as many as possible. Thank you for your time everybody.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2016 at 0:02 PM, BluePandaIta said:

The problem with outright gun bans is that it doesn't stop criminals from getting guns, it just raises the price they have to pay. The black market is always willing and open to sell a gun with a removed serial number, and as long as it is concealed properly, the owner of the gun doesn't have to let anyone know it is even there. Then in the event of a crime, how would someone defend themselves? Background checks are the safest way to keep civilians armed and secured, and still keep criminals from getting guns.

• Like 2

I think you should have strict gun control, but don't ban them. Yes, people kill people but that is an dumb argument, yes, without the people guns wouldn't kill, but without the guns people wouldn't get shot. Make people have to go through background checks, firearms training and a mental fitness test before getting this license. Also, make us pay if we want a license so you aren't using taxpayer money to fund guns. 

Also, DONT lower taxes. It destroys the economy. Have it at a decent rate, maybe 10-20%. How else will you appropriately fund the police to lower crime rates and how else wI'll you afford free health care. You could then invest money into smaller businesses to help strengthen the economy.

You didn't mention your opinions on drugs. I'd love to know what you think about drugs as well as which ones you think should be legalized and which you think should not.

How will you handle non-violent criminals? E.g: drug dealers, hackers, graffiti artists, drug addicts, shoplifters and so on and so forth. Will you still have non-violent criminals face jail-time, or will you have another form of punishment to deal with them?

Edited by DROSE

3 hours ago, DROSE said:

How you handle non-violent criminals? E.g: drug dealers, hackers, graffiti artists, drug addicts, shoplifters and so on and so forth. Will you still have non-violent criminals face jail-time, or will you have another form of punishment to deal with them?

Well it all depends on the crime. If you commit murder than you'll be sent to prison for a while. But if you do something like hack a persons phone or sell a small amount of drugs you'll be put on a probation period. 

My plan for this is to limit the amount of things criminals can get. If they're on probation and try and buy things that they're known to commit crimes with they'll either be denied or arrested. I'll do a 3 strike rule. Don't do something three times or else you'll go to prison for a maximum sentence.

I'm also always open to suggestions from the people. What you think is important to me mainly because without you guys I wouldn't be able to even run becaus I would have nobody to support me. So any suggestions are good ones.

As a punishment for whatever you perceive to be minor offences, would you be considering community service/supervised work?

8 minutes ago, Beatonio said:

As a punishment for whatever you perceive to be minor offences, would you be considering community service/supervised work?

If the government was willing to fund community service punishments for criminals I would see no objections to that. Obviously they would need to be guarded and supervised and that would cost money also. It's all about what our budget is and how we can work to improve on it.

So after a week of absense I've come to my conclusion for my campaign.

I will continue with my attempts at free health care and tax people according to their annual income. This eliminates most of the unfairness in taxing so this way everybody pays the same percentages. This will help pay for free universal healthcare while also supplying the right equipment to our police force.

I'm  always accepting questions of any kind so if you like, please post them. Thank you for your time

@GeneSmith What will you be doing to help small businesses?

How much tax will the rich have to pay?

What are your policies to stop corruption from happening?

Will there be any welfare program to help the less fortunate ones?

4 minutes ago, ErjonBerisha said:

@GeneSmith What will you be doing to help small businesses?

How much tax will the rich have to pay?

What are your policies to stop corruption from happening?

Will there be any welfare program to help the less fortunate ones?

Small Business are something that hits home to me. A lot of small businesses have been run down because of bigger businesses sweeping in. My plan to help them is to have taxes according to income to reduce all debt. Depending on what that business makes they will have to pay a small percentage of that income to help with government funding for other job fields. But I wanna really makes sure they don't get run out.

Well taxing for the 'Rich' is going to be the same all around. Say an upper class businessman, who makes roughly 500,000 dollars will be taxed according to what he makes annually. I play on have the upper class pay a bit more than lower and middle class to help with universal healthcare and to put a limit on most things. 5-10% for lower class, 10-15% for middle class and 15-20% for upper class. This was it's nearly fair in all wealth groups.

Corruption is a difficult subject to touch base on. Considering not many would even know who or when it is being done, it's also difficult to gain evidence. I'm going to make an effort to have every police officer on the Island to be fitted with cameras so that we can see and hear. An officers job is to protect and serve and if they aren't living up to that then they will be relieved of their duties. As for other government officials, I will be maintaining a monthly sweep of all records that's mandatory for all government officials including myself. This is to ensure nobody is caught breaking the law to disrupt the balance of things.

Welfare is also a very difficult thing to pin point. If I were to say "I will absolutely get this done." I would be telling a lie. I would get this done but for Welfare to be introduced into our community it would require even higher taxing for businesses and the lower class, which I'm afraid to do. I want everybody to be equal. I think if my plan to introduce more jobs failed I would appeal it and see if anybody thinks it would be a good idea. I say this because paired with universal healthcare it would take a large chunk of officers and paramedics salaries.

If there are anymore questions please feel free to ask. I'm always open to suggestions and questions.

Will there be a carbon tax?

What do you think about abortion?

Will the governor have the power to enact any law he want, or will the parties?

13 minutes ago, ErjonBerisha said:

Will there be a carbon tax?

What do you think about abortion?

Will the governor have the power to enact any law he want, or will the parties?

Carbon tax really depends on (In my opinion) how much is used and how much we need. Because I don't know if in game that will be a thing. But if it is, I'll most likely tax it mainly because of the supply it brings. Different type of oils, gas and other fossil fuels.

Abortion is a touchy subject but I'll handle it to the best of my abilities. While I value life and think everybody should be given a chance to make their mark on the world, I also believe woman should have a say so on if they want to got through with the 9 months of carrying a child and then the sometimes 24 hours of labor they go into. So I'm 50/50 on it but slightly more in the 'against' side.

I assume as governor I would act as a near president of sorts. But with that being said, it would ultimately come to me. I would need to seek approval and then have other officials approve it also. That way I can't abuse any of my power.

4 minutes ago, ErjonBerisha said:

What will you do about public transport?

I believe that's up to the transit systems. There is definitely one on these forums somewhere.