Sign in to follow this  
Shypindive

Sheriff Elections

I'm not even sure if there will be a role for an Sheriff in the Police Department. From what I've heard, Asylum has only confirmed that there will be Detectives and Dispatch. But if there will be an Sheriff, that will require elections. If anybody has news about the roles of the Police Department or the different types of elections let me know. Cause I may be one of the people who wants to run for sheriff in one of the cities.

There is no realistic way a ''sheriff'' gets elected for a police department. Sheriffs are the top people in the Sheriffs Department and not a Police Department. It might be totally possibly that there will be a sheriffs department with their jurisdiction in the off city areas.

If you want to run for a position in a police department you'll have to run for Chief of Police my friend.

Ah the elected sheriff one of histories most idiotic idea because why should a highly skilled person be hired for a job.....When you can have a literal popularity contest.

On 12/3/2016 at 8:36 AM, Samuel_Tsai said:

There is no realistic way a ''sheriff'' gets elected for a police department. Sheriffs are the top people in the Sheriffs Department and not a Police Department. It might be totally possibly that there will be a sheriffs department with their jurisdiction in the off city areas.

If you want to run for a position in a police department you'll have to run for Chief of Police my friend.

@Samuel_Tsai Police Departments only have jurisdiction within their city's limits. The Sheriff's Department has jurisdiction over the entire county including the city's within their county of jurisdiction. Police Departments have appointed Police Chiefs or Commissioners in charge of their agency where as the Sheriff is an elected county official. If you like, please refer to my post about "Law Enforcement Ideas & Suggestions" for more information that I share and suggest.

On 12/8/2016 at 7:59 PM, SharpShep said:

Ah the elected sheriff one of histories most idiotic idea because why should a highly skilled person be hired for a job.....When you can have a literal popularity contest.

@SharpShep While I can agree that a popularity contest could place the most unqualified person in office for a position, the majority, if not all, agencies, require a large amount of law enforcement experience, history, background and usually administrative experience and/or education to qualify for the elected position of Sheriff. The Advantage to having an elected official in such a position is that they can be elected OUT of office thus providing a huge level of control by the citizenry of the related county. If a person got elected as sheriff that did not show qualifications or ended up being completely incompetent for the position, the citizenry could get rid of him. That is not true for a police chief or police commissioner because that is an appointed position in most cases and the public do not have nearly as much weight when it comes to appointed positions.

• Like 1