Raja

IdentityRPG is a disaster

As of today, no developer has touched the forum since august.

Unfortunately, https://www.identityrpg.com/modules/townsquare under development tasks has not been updated as of April 19th, 2018.

it also states that it was "Last updated 22 hours ago" but that is just an html text node that doesn't actually update( just plain text).

Identity has raised over 180k since 2016 on Kickstarter, it has raised more from selling packages on the website and also including a premature steam release. According to the website currently, that is $1.4 million+ dollars raised.

Modules were supposed to be a way for early backers to test the game and provide feedback but the fact that asylum decided to do a steam release and provide everyone the same date to access it whether you bought it on the same day it was released on steam(30 Nov 2018) or you have been a backer since 2016 made it seem like a cash-grab.

"You deserve much more frequent updates, and we're committing to give you that moving forward"

If we cant even get frequent updates what is the point anymore? if they cant keep their word regarding updates then there isnt much to believe regarding the future promises they made.

I have complained multiple times to steam and also the developers regarding a refund but according to them that wont happen and like many other discussions on Kickstarter,steam or the forums of identityRPG im almost certain this will not be responded to by the developers/community managers nor do i really care for a response at this point.

There isnt much i can do other than warning others who haven't yet fallen victim to identity, youll be purchasing a module(wouldnt exactly call it a game) that likely wont see any updates for years to come and doesnt have a proper public relations team. They spent money on a studio for asylum entertainment which houses 3 employees(according to their Linkedin) and that to me is just a horrible way of managing funds.

Identity ironically lost its identity and hype and that to me is just unfortunate.

Good luck to you all and have a wonderful holiday season.

• Like 3

On 9-12-2019 at 2:58 PM, yakir77 said:

Anyone know what's going on with the game ????

This is what paratus said:

We're still at it, but development is much slower than we'd like it to be for financial reasons. The income we're receiving currently simply isn't enough to employ many working hours. The developers all have families, so they can't work for free (understandable for any developer with experience). While we're moving along slowly, there will be an update very soon with systems that were needed for combat/SWAT, mainly player movement mechanics and animation. What we have in Town Square now was just too clunky for good combat. Because the pace is so slow right now, we're looking into other development sources, too.

I plan on putting out a lot of information with the coming update, but if you guys have questions.. fire away. 

I've been ridiculously busy, but I'm going to make it a point to poke my head in here more often.

Source: Discord

• Like 1
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

I have to say that I'm also disappointed with the progress of this game. When it was first announced, I was pretty interested in taking part, and I purchased the passport etc, just to get in involved.

I can see that there has obviously been some work on the game since it's creation and the general roadmap, seems promising.. but yes, I can agree that there's been way too little progress.

However, I can also understand that the amount of money raised, likely is not going to be anywhere enough to pay for the game as it has been planned.. A game with this much planned interaction, diversity and flexibility will cost a huge amount of money.

There are a lot of overheads to consider when creating a game.. for example, design, programming, servers to host the game, computers powerful enough to design and build the game, staff, graphics, drivers and compatibility.. the list goes on and on.

As I said, I'm also disappointed in the progress, but to put it into perspective, GTA 5 cost $265,000,000 to build... and that's being built by a team of some of the best game developers in the world... it seems that Identity is being developed by a handful of designers / programmers, and I can honestly expect that this game would take years to develop with a small team.

My advice is basically to watch this space and accept that you may not actually receive the game at all. It's amazing that there's anything playable at this stage... I think we should be encouraging the developers and re-inforcing the project through praise and positivity... because I know if it was me, and reading all the negativity, I'd be tempted just to cut it off and say.. "well, it was good while it lasted"...

To the devs: Communication is key. Make incremental updates, something to just show that you are actually working on something.. even if it's tiny bug fixes to just get the basics working. Town square looks great.. but you have to iron out the bugs. If you do this, you'll begin to build the community, without people getting annoyed at things like, lamps not connecting to power etc.. or saves not saving.. Focus on THAT, not on MORE... then build it out from there and half the work will already be done (in terms of functionality).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaronlroberts said:

I have to say that I'm also disappointed with the progress of this game. When it was first announced, I was pretty interested in taking part, and I purchased the passport etc, just to get in involved.

I can see that there has obviously been some work on the game since it's creation and the general roadmap, seems promising.. but yes, I can agree that there's been way too little progress.

However, I can also understand that the amount of money raised, likely is not going to be anywhere enough to pay for the game as it has been planned.. A game with this much planned interaction, diversity and flexibility will cost a huge amount of money.

There are a lot of overheads to consider when creating a game.. for example, design, programming, servers to host the game, computers powerful enough to design and build the game, staff, graphics, drivers and compatibility.. the list goes on and on.

As I said, I'm also disappointed in the progress, but to put it into perspective, GTA 5 cost $265,000,000 to build... and that's being built by a team of some of the best game developers in the world... it seems that Identity is being developed by a handful of designers / programmers, and I can honestly expect that this game would take years to develop with a small team.

My advice is basically to watch this space and accept that you may not actually receive the game at all. It's amazing that there's anything playable at this stage... I think we should be encouraging the developers and re-inforcing the project through praise and positivity... because I know if it was me, and reading all the negativity, I'd be tempted just to cut it off and say.. "well, it was good while it lasted"...

To the devs: Communication is key. Make incremental updates, something to just show that you are actually working on something.. even if it's tiny bug fixes to just get the basics working. Town square looks great.. but you have to iron out the bugs. If you do this, you'll begin to build the community, without people getting annoyed at things like, lamps not connecting to power etc.. or saves not saving.. Focus on THAT, not on MORE... then build it out from there and half the work will already be done (in terms of functionality).

The devs are not being transparent, and also the progress is indeed slow.

We know the game wont be like in GTA, but how in the heck does it take 5 years just to make a town square module?

• Like 1