Sign in to follow this  
SausageBlaster

To Developers

While I had guessed the release date would be the latest possible day of November, I hoped it wasn't.

The reason for this is because the 30th falls on a Friday.

What this means is that your staff members will have been working the full week in anticipation of release, by Friday they will have been worn out.

Friday Launch will happen and as EVERY MMO developer knows the massive influx of players will completely crash and lag servers. Your worn out employees will not be on top of their game due to fatigue. You will see about a 100 new bugs pop up which will be classified as Critical errors requiring attention immediately. I can't even imagine if this game was to catch on twitch which would influx so many players the stress would destroy servers.

To top it all off, Saturday and Sunday (your offices weekend) will require those fatigued developers to put in overtime because the issues wont be resolved that fast to stabilize the game.

Basically, This is a post I hope John takes to heart. Prepare in anticipation of that weekend because first impressions is crucial to a large portion of the gaming community. Hire more developers for the first week of release, it will make the world of difference.

I do understand your concern, and it's well placed, but it really doesn't have much affect on us at this point as we're working through the weekends a lot already. :) Hiring temporary developers is almost impossible, though, as with our complex systems it can take weeks or even months for the new developers to fully understand them well enough in order to fix or develop upon them.

• Like 4

As @Paratus said, you can't hire developers for short term work like that on complex software. It generally takes two months at a minimum before a new developer is actually able to do any real work and can take the better part of a year to be "fully" productive.

They'll just have to deal with any issues that arise themselves, I really doubt they're planning on taking the weekend off with a Friday release. I have to do nightly deployments for my software on occasion and I'm always on-call out of work hours for any issues that might arise over the next few days, even over the weekend

Edited by patrick68794

14 hours ago, Paratus said:

I do understand your concern, and it's well placed, but it really doesn't have much affect on us at this point as we're working through the weekends a lot already. :) Hiring temporary developers is almost impossible, though, as with our complex systems it can take weeks or even months for the new developers to fully understand them well enough in order to fix or develop upon them.

But the excuse for the TS taking so long was that you guys took weekends off? I'm not trying to get at you here, I have nothing against you personally, but your mod team and the community really stood up against people asking you to work on weekends. Now I don't personally think you should have, you do need a break, but if you were working through weekends, why did it take so long, why was the task tracker never updated on a weekend and why have we never been told this before? 

Again, if this seems like I am being nitpicky or negative just remove this reply, I don't want it to come across as that, I am just genuinely curious. I'm not trying to imply anything either, I just don't want you to take this the wrong way so don't even respond if it seems like my intentions here aren't pure.

5 minutes ago, SausageBlaster said:

Welp... It's time for release :P

There seems to have been some server issues that the developers need to smooth out before we can play. They're working on them as we speak, and if they aren't too severe, I'd expect the game to come out in around a few days. I don't know for sure, though.

Just now, Order said:

There seems to have been some server issues that the developers need to smooth out before we can play. They're working on them as we speak, and if they aren't too severe, I'd expect the game to come out in around a few days. I don't know for sure, though.

Possibly . . .