So I've heard that death in Identity will send you back to your last sync-point, but I feel like that would mean there aren't enough consequences for dying. I'd hesitate to say your character should be dead once and for all, but will there be some serious repercussions for dying in Identity? If it was made so that death was a serious matter, the game would be a lot more high-stakes and realistic, and people would be more fearful of doing stupid things and committing crimes, which would add a whole new layer of realism in my opinion and make the game that much more immersive and fun.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Maybe a GTA Styled death. You die, drop the money and stuff that was on you and you spawn in a hospital or something would be good and immersive. I am not sure how weapons should be dealt with on death. Since weapons are supposed to be hard to get maybe they should be destroyed once you die so no one can pick them up but you can no longer use them either.

• Like 1

Indeed, it's a very great and revolutionary idea which'll improve the roleplaying, but you forgot to mention what exactly should happen after your characters death (like a death from a fatal wound when you just cant be saved) . I think that it should be the compelete removal of your dead character and a throwback to character creation menu where you'll be given an opportunity to make a completely new one.

P.S. Someone might not like the idea because it has its pros and cons

Edited by QurWinter
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Herzog said:

Maybe a GTA Styled death. You die, drop the money and stuff that was on you and you spawn in a hospital or something would be good and immersive. I am not sure how weapons should be dealt with on death. Since weapons are supposed to be hard to get maybe they should be destroyed once you die so no one can pick them up but you can no longer use them either.

I definitely think anything on you including money and guns (they've stated not clothes, and that's fair enough) should be dropped. I think if someone is able to kill someone else, they deserve the gun they drop. It's unlikely you'll see many guns larger than handguns, which I'm glad of. I like the idea of coming out of a hospital, but maybe you can only do this once, and the second time you are 'killed', your character is dead just as QurWinter says, and you have to make a new one.

• Like 1

Still, an option to quickly recreate your last character would have to be an option. I only plan on being one RP character so if i have to keep recreating him over and over again it will get a tad annoying.

2 minutes ago, Herzog said:

Still, an option to quickly recreate your last character would have to be an option. I only plan on being one RP character so if i have to keep recreating him over and over again it will get a tad annoying.

That's true, but I think it would make more sense for you to create his son or nephew, rather than have the same guy come back over and over. 

• Like 1

You're right to some extent, guys. Now lets just hope that @Motown or @Paratus will accidently stumble upon this topic (actually, this won't happen by accident cos I already mentioned them here xD)

Edited by QurWinter
  • Like 1

This was a big problem on Gmod, because without consequence for death, people just put their money in the bank and charge headlong into a gunfight. Apart from ruining immersion, it also makes gunfights way too common and inconsequential. IRL if there was a gunfight, it would be a big deal, because life has meaning, Identity should simulate that as best it can in my opinion.

• Like 1

I kind of have two suggestions for this. If it's not a fatal wound, and you're able to be revived you lose maybe 50% of your inventory, and it randomly discards half of what you're carrying and you're transported to a hospital once a medic shows up. If it's fatal and you're going to die, you can choose to either die and lose everything you're carrying (and possibly make a new char.) or, for a huge fee, and without having to wait for a medic to revive you, you can automatically be transported to a hospital and pay a larger hospital bill. (Emphasis on the ridiculously expensive hospital bill) That way if you keep plunging yourself in these dangerous situations and keep dying, you end up losing a lot of your money. Also, if you don't have enough money to pay, then you get a visit from the friendly repo man! I just was rambling here, so yeah those are my thoughts on the death system ^.^

Makin a new char is just noo its like you get stabbed in real life doesnt mean you have to be someone else just continue your life but diffrent and when you lose your stuff goes through a chance ratio so if its like 50 dollars then whatever the percentage the amount of it drops and for one item if its under 50% it drops if over it stays this can be  a good idea but the mechanism might be hard to do ;D @Motown @Paratus

How about if you enter the world of crime and chose to live your identity that way then you can die for good i just wouldnt like to build up an empire then loose it all by some mad kid running me over in the car he stole

7 hours ago, LionKingGamer said:

Makin a new char is just noo its like you get stabbed in real life doesnt mean you have to be someone else just continue your life but diffrent and when you lose your stuff goes through a chance ratio so if its like 50 dollars then whatever the percentage the amount of it drops and for one item if its under 50% it drops if over it stays this can be  a good idea but the mechanism might be hard to do ;D @Motown @Paratus

Umm, nobody is saying you have to create a new character when you sustain a minor injury. What we're suggesting is that if you die, you're dead.

Obviously it couldn't be as final as that in all situations, maybe there could be fatal injuries and non-fatal injuries. Maybe taking 100 damage 'kills' you, but you wake up shortly after in a hospital for a substantial hospital fee, whereas 150 damage kills you permanently. This way catching a single shotgun shell to the stomach won't kill you permanently, neither will some twelvie driving past in a stolen car. 

when you die the paramedic has a timelimit to avoid your death by revivng you via defibrillator. if you die you lose your inventory items (candy bars, weapons, but no money, no clothes and no keys (car, house etc.)). permadeath would suck because: script kiddie (i hope i don't have to say what a script kiddie can do to your character) and other rampages and carcrashes caused by retards

Here's my opnion:

1. Lose atleast a quarter (maybe even half) of your money.

2. Spawn at a hospital.

3. Guns can be taken from your body (or dropped on the ground)

4. Perhaps you have to have a different character appearance (but keep the same clothes)

5. Keep everything else

(May of forgotten some major things or made some mistakes)

I don't like the idea of creation of a new character. As people have already explained there are already a lot of things that can cause you to die when you don't want to such as being run over or RDMed by some kid or being insta killed by a script kiddie. It's just seems like too much for the player to have to create a new character each time. I agree that an option to create a new character should be there for those that want to but for someone like me an option to spawn back at a hospital at a cost will be a lot better. I want to continue the game as my character not his brother or nephew or some other random person. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herzog said:

I don't like the idea of creation of a new character. As people have already explained there are already a lot of things that can cause you to die when you don't want to such as being run over or RDMed by some kid or being insta killed by a script kiddie. It's just seems like too much for the player to have to create a new character each time. I agree that an option to create a new character should be there for those that want to but for someone like me an option to spawn back at a hospital at a cost will be a lot better. I want to continue the game as my character not his brother or nephew or some other random person. 

Having thought about it some more I have to agree. Death needs to have serious consequences, but losing your entire character might be a bit steep.

• Like 2

Ok, I got you. The whole new character thing won't fit very well. It would be more awesome for everybody to choose their characters destiny in a way that @Herzog have suggested in his last post.

Edited by QurWinter

@Herzog & @Johnny:

I agree with the level of annoyance / player attrition that the need for completely new character customization would cause. But I do like Johnny's thoughts on the consequence of character death - so perhaps a mix of the two will likely be something we'll see; you die, you're taken back to character creation w/ all of your RP character's features still saved, but you're simply starting from gameplay scratch.