Sign in to follow this  
ColonelKimmers

A rant about the ranters

Just a rant. Don't read if you know this will make you upset just for the sake of being upset. Or if you simply don't care. I'm just killing time between now and release.

There's been a lot of people ranting on the forums. I don't blame them because we've all been waiting a while for this game to come out and the first module will finally give us a taste. But your negative thoughts are kinda annoying if you've got nothing to back it up. Identity isn't a scam. If it was, they would've disappeared with the kickstarter money a while ago. I've only just now decided to bite the bullet and purchase the game so that I could make an account because I assumed the module would've been out by now due to the steam key release. It's not out and I still have to wait. We all do. So be it. I understand creating a game of this size will cause unforeseen difficulties and so be it.

How many of these ranters actually have any background in game development? How do you guys think this all actually works? Do you think if a bunch of nerds just type words into the computer for a few months - a game will  be born like magic?

Everybody gets stuck on problems. Some problems take more time to solve than others of course, and obviously problems aren't planned.

For example; say I want to make a button that says "Hello world" when pressed so I create a program that says "When the button is pushed, output 'Hello World' into the console" but instead the entire game crashes. How could I POSSIBLY have PREDICTED that? That's what developers go through. Sometimes you get syntax errors because you forget a semicolon somewhere in your code or you fat fingered an extra letter somewhere in your code, sometimes you get run-time errors because your logic doesn't add up, sometimes you have no idea what's wrong and stackoverflow can't help you; so you gotta figure it out.

Figuring it out takes time. It's not the developer's inability to create a something because they can't complete a task in time; it just means a problem arises that they didn't know about yet so they gotta fix it. The best part about this is that it means the developer won't make that problem again in the future if they learned from it.

I'm absolutely ready for the first module release. I know this game was created by veteran developers so they shouldn't be making a crap quality game or common rookie mistakes, but I totally expect bugs and lag.

A rant about gamers who say "Ugh, just optimize the game." is a whole different thing if that even happens to Identity.

P.S even though I strongly doubt it because who would bother renting an office and hiring developers, bother to interact with the community, do constant updates through twitch streams and monthly dev blogs, and have an entire community forum running - just to end up being a total scam. It seems like a very elaborate scam, but if it is a scam; I apologize for everybody waiting around so long for their time being wasted.

1 hour ago, ColonelKimmers said:

How many of these ranters actually have any background in game development?

Me. I might not be a ranter, but I am a realist. To be honest, those who blindly praise this game seem to be the ones without a clue as to how development works to the point I physically cringe when I read the replies, but what do I know? I'm only a game developer myself after all. X'D

• Like 2
  • ver.1.22474487139 2

Just a rant. Don't read if you know this will make you upset just for the sake of being upset. Or if you simply don't care. I'm just killing time between now and release.

There's been a lot of people ranting on the forums. I don't blame them because we've all been waiting a while for this game to come out and the first module will finally give us a taste. But your negative thoughts are kinda annoying if you've got nothing to back it up. Identity isn't a scam. If it was, they would've disappeared with the kickstarter money a while ago. I've only just now decided to bite the bullet and purchase the game so that I could make an account because I assumed the module would've been out by now due to the steam key release. It's not out and I still have to wait. We all do. So be it. I understand creating a game of this size will cause unforeseen difficulties and so be it.

How many of these ranters actually have any background in game development? How do you guys think this all actually works? Do you think if a bunch of nerds just type words into the computer for a few months - a game will  be born like magic?

Everybody gets stuck on problems. Some problems take more time to solve than others of course, and obviously problems aren't planned.

For example; say I want to make a button that says "Hello world" when pressed so I create a program that says "When the button is pushed, output 'Hello World' into the console" but instead the entire game crashes. How could I POSSIBLY have PREDICTED that? That's what developers go through. Sometimes you get syntax errors because you forget a semicolon somewhere in your code or you fat fingered an extra letter somewhere in your code, sometimes you get run-time errors because your logic doesn't add up, sometimes you have no idea what's wrong and stackoverflow can't help you; so you gotta figure it out.

Figuring it out takes time. It's not the developer's inability to create a something because they can't complete a task in time; it just means a problem arises that they didn't know about yet so they gotta fix it. The best part about this is that it means the developer won't make that problem again in the future if they learned from it.

I'm absolutely ready for the first module release. I know this game was created by veteran developers so they shouldn't be making a crap quality game or common rookie mistakes, but I totally expect bugs and lag.

A rant about gamers who say "Ugh, just optimize the game." is a whole different thing if that even happens to Identity.

P.S even though I strongly doubt it because who would bother renting an office and hiring developers, bother to interact with the community, do constant updates through twitch streams and monthly dev blogs, and have an entire community forum running - just to end up being a total scam. It seems like a very elaborate scam, but if it is a scam; I apologize for everybody waiting around so long for their time being wasted.

Definitely guilty here... ;)

You definitely have patients as a saint, wish i can have your patients, invest my money, wait a few years with out a product and still make a post like this. :)

And yes, I am a developer ;)

Edited by MadApples
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShiEksdee said:

Me. I might not be a ranter, but I am a realist. To be honest, those who blindly praise this game seem to be the ones without a clue as to how development works to the point I physically cringe when I read the replies, but what do I know? I'm only a game developer myself after all. X'D

Awesome,

Currently Java and android here, you ?

Just now, MadApples said:

Awesome,

Currently Java and android here, you ?

C# for me and I'm still learning and planning to make this my main language ultimately, but I know a lil Python and Ruby as well. Currently working on a small indie tactical RPG~ I'm mostly the CEO/admin who dabbles in all of the fields and not programming-specific (I do art/animation, writing, mechanics and level and event design as well). So more jack-of-all trades-y in the career instead of excelling at a thing. But I have studied game dev flow and know quite a bit about it since it has been my passion since the age of 2!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShiEksdee said:

C# for me and I'm still learning and planning to make this my main language ultimately, but I know a lil Python and Ruby as well. Currently working on a small indie tactical RPG~ I'm mostly the CEO/admin who dabbles in all of the fields and not programming-specific (I do art/animation, writing, mechanics and level and event design as well). So more jack-of-all trades-y in the career instead of excelling at a thing. But I have studied game dev flow and know quite a bit about it since it has been my passion since the age of 2!

C# was my first object oriented language :) I moved on after I found out Microsoft is no longer supporting xna. I then went to c++ but did not like the syntax, and then learned java. I love java now!!!! unlike c#/xna i don't have to use mono.. ;)

OH, i got a joke for you.... .. bad geek joke i made up... read at your own risk....

What is C ? its combined, but some think console.

So what is C2?  well its c++ (c=c+1) ;)

Ok.. so what is C3?

wait i know.. a drunk programmer fell face first on his keyboard and found the #(number 3 key) and called it c#. ;)

____

edit: fixed speling mistackes abuv....^^ :o <--- yea, wat kond of programor am i, Cont even spel!!

Edited by MadApples
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

I don't think it's a scam. I do think a lot of shady things are going on and some very suspicious actions have instilled doubt in my mind as to the legitimacy of this whole project, but I highly doubt they will just up and disappear with the money. At worst, they will release a highly disappointing game that barely works, but even that isn't likely to be honest. 

I don't think your argument that because they have put so much into this means it's definitely not a scam. Making some assets and some gameplay videos for a over a million dollars is a pretty good deal. Without the 'proof' of the game existing, they wouldn't have raised half the money. I'm not suggesting this is the case, but they could be releasing false proofs to keep sales coming in. 

• ver.1.22474487139 2

I have played MMOs since Beta on UO and almost all of them have delays and deadlines missed. I automatically in my head I replace any word or phrase that has something to do with schedule and deadline with "best estimated guess." If you really want to see missed deadlines and cash grabbing stroll on over to Star Citizen. 2 years behind, constant changing of what is being developed, constant changes in policies, changes to what you get for helping fund it,  and still asking for more money.

1 minute ago, Latamir said:

I have played MMOs since Beta on UO and almost all of them have delays and deadlines missed. I automatically in my head I replace any word or phrase that has something to do with schedule and deadline with "best estimated guess." If you really want to see missed deadlines and cash grabbing stroll on over to Star Citizen. 2 years behind, constant changing of what is being developed, constant changes in policies, changes to what you get for helping fund it,  and still asking for more money.

Im not going to look, but I bet at least they have a product.... ;)

3 hours ago, MadApples said:

Ok(dagtag) ,

Fresh meet here, come and eat... ;)

Whatya mean? Not like i am gonna respond to any of you and say you aint developers 😂. I must admit that i was wrong about you not being one, but hey its the internet its easy to say whatever you want right?

To add to this topic i myself am still a developer in the making, got a background in java atm and i am now in college studying c#. Not like i already have a job or anything.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

1 minute ago, dagtag said:

Whatya mean? Not like i am gonna respond to any of you and say you aint developers 😂. I must admit that i was wrong about you not being one, but hey its the internet its easy to say whatever you want right?

To add to this topic i myself am still a developer in the making, got a background in java atm and i am now in college studying c#. Not like i already have a job or anything.

That's awesome, and its great to see somebody expand there languages like you are doing.

As you probably have noticed, once you learn one language, other languages become easy to learn. :)

4 minutes ago, MadApples said:

That's awesome, and its great to see somebody expand there languages like you are doing.

As you probably have noticed, once you learn one language, other languages become easy to learn. :)

Yeah... no difficulty with c#, is it just me or is it awefully similar to java? I have been in class for like a week or two and i am so bored seeing what i have already seen 😂

4 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

I'm not suggesting this is the case, but they could be releasing false proofs to keep sales coming in. 

This is actually more common than you may think with crowdfunded "projects". The entire project being to string people along and keep the money flowing in before bailing, having taken as much as they can get. Not saying that's what this team is doing, but it is HIGHLY possible because things like this happen quite a lot.

• ver.1.22474487139 3

4 minutes ago, dagtag said:

Yeah... no difficulty with c#, is it just me or is it awefully similar to java? I have been in class for like a week or two and i am so bored seeing what i have already seen 😂

c# is extremely similar ;) after moving from c#, when I found java, I fell in love with the syntax. This is probably why I don't currently have a girl friend.. :o

Edited by MadApples
  • ver.1.22474487139 2

15 minutes ago, MadApples said:

c# is extremely similar ;) after moving from c#, when I found java, I fell in love with the syntax. This is probably why I don't currently have a girl friend.. :o

I'm going to use this to ward off guys now. "Sorry I can't go out with you, I'm engaged to C# you see........." xD

• ver.1.22474487139 2