been0su

Scam

Get your hands out of your ass and tell us why you are using pictures of houses in real life, and call it concept art. Now i demand an answer.. I have been backing you since 2016, and never thought this was a scam, but i must admit, this is damn fishy. I think you owe us an explanation. Busted

Edited by been0su
  • Like 2
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

If you are talking about this picture, where's your proof these are real houses. Source? Thought as much.

gang-cartel.png

Oh lol, I just saw the other thread ... alright. This is a rather fishy way of doing things, I'll admit that, but it's a way of making concept art I suppose.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

7 minutes ago, Genesai said:

but it's a way of making concept art I suppose.

No. Something tells me that is not alright..........if they're passing it off as their own conceptual art when it's only some minor Photoshop and filters.

• Like 3
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

Just now, ShiEksdee said:

No. Something tells me that is not alright..........if they're passing it off as their own conceptual art when it's only some minor Photoshop and filters.

I would call it lazy rather than wrong. It's still not a red flag for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Genesai said:

Nah I'm pretty sure it's wrong to pass something not of your creation as your creation.

3 minutes ago, Genesai said:

Its literally an exact copy with a redone background. But whatever, now I would like to ask you for some "green flags" so I can see why you are too dismissive of this.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

4 minutes ago, JoelKeys said:

Its literally an exact copy with a redone background. But whatever, now I would like to ask you for some "green flags" so I can see why you are too dismissive of this.

Not just that, but laziness is a red flag in and of itself. If they're too lazy to make their own conceptual art, then.................?

• Like 1

This is first time this has happened, so I’m hoping it was just because they wanted that exact house in the game.  But we’ll have to wait for a response from the devs.  Hopefully they will address it Monday.

1 hour ago, been0su said:

Get your hands out of your ass and tell us why you are using pictures of houses in real life and call it concept art, now i demand an answer.. I have been backing you since 2016, and never thought this was a scam, but i must admit, this is damn fishy. I think you owe us an explanation. Busted

Well, because it's concept art. Artists use the concept pieces there to develop the environment later. The three together are part of what's called a mood board.

This is pretty standard.

• Like 9

Um no, that's not how concept art works...........a mood board, sure, but that is not concept art, not by any definition. You didn't conceptualize that piece. (I'm just saiyan) I don't think it's right to maintain that it is a concept of the team when it clearly is not. Can't change minds, but...............

• Like 3

You guy's should be happy they aren't spending more time on concept art. I'd rather them focus on developing the game..

• Like 1

Just now, SausageBlaster said:

You guy's should be happy they aren't spending more time on concept art. I'd rather them focus on developing the game..

Is this sarcasm, or?

To better clarify, do note the numbers in the corner of each image. These as they're seen are the first step in the art development. They're created quickly by a talented digital artist ( check past live streams.. this work had been shown live in the past ) as a sort of draft. 

When it later comes time to create the asset, we'd choose the most appropriate of the three and it would be done in high detail with any changes requested by the game designers.

These three you see were based on the jungle mood boards, which is why they all look somewhat similar. 

The final product you see in the game won't look just like any of these, but likely close to one of them.

The method used here is called compositing, and it's a great way to get a nice looking result quickly, before polishing.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Paratus said:

To better clarify, do note the numbers in the corner of each image. These as they're seen are the first step in the art development. They're created quickly by a talented digital artist ( check past live streams.. this work had been shown live in the past ) as a sort of draft. 

When it later comes time to create the asset, we'd choose the most appropriate of the three and it would be done in high detail with any changes requested by the game designers.

These three you see were based on the jungle mood boards, which is why they all look somewhat similar. 

The final product you see in the game won't look just like any of these, but likely close to one of them.

The method used here is called compositing, and it's a great way to get a nice looking result quickly, before polishing.

aha, then why dont you just tell us this? It would've been nice to know. When i saw this i was shocked, didnt know what to think. Thats why i made this post, to get answers. now i have gotten those answers and for that i thank you. I never thought you were scamming us, but i must admit it looked fishy. Have a great day!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, been0su said:

Pointless reply at this point. I've already said I've taken notice of this fact by discovering the other thread on the subject. I may need Google more often, but you need to read more carefully. :)

Just now, Genesai said:

Pointless reply at this point. I've already said I've taken notice of this fact by discovering the other thread on the subject. I may need Google more often, but you need to read more carefully. :)

Yeah i need to read more carefully, i see that now. I just went down the replies so fast i didnt see it :P

Just now, been0su said:

aha, then why dont you just tell us this? It would've been nice to know. When i saw this i was shocked, didnt know what to think. Thats why i made this post, to get answers. now i have gotten those answers and for that i thank you. I never thought you were scamming us, but i must admit it looked fishy. Have a great day!

technically they don't need to tell us something that is completely normal for concept art. However I do understand that not everyone knows what may and may not be done with concept art, id suggest you read up on concept art a little bit before asking why they used a real picture ;), I am not trying to be hateful or anything, just trying to prevent people from getting riled up over nothing

1 hour ago, Paratus said:

I’m sure the digital artist is extremely talented, but they’re not exactly showing it here. The jungle mood boards must have been quite limited in content if these designs were based off of them, because it doesn’t look like the design in question has pulled different elements from multiple sources whatsoever. Sure this ‘compositing’ can be done quickly, but that’s probably because the house is more or less a perfect replica of the source material.

The problem here isn’t that it’s the first stage of development and you’re using it for inspiration- that is completely fine. It’s extremely difficult to just pluck designs out of nowhere and I’m sure every other artist does the same. The problem is that you have showcased it in a manner which led me (and I’m sure others) to believe that it was original work and was an example of some of the concept art you had recently created- especially as the dev blogs are usually used to showcase the progress you have made in the previous month.

Had you just added that this was inspiration, instead of leaving it up to us to decide, then I’m sure you could have stayed on the beach loungers at the side of the pool, rather than cannonballing straight into the hot water.

I still have faith in this game, and I will still support it- but you really are making it difficult for yourselves- hence why people who have been supportive of you, and active in this community for the past 2-3 years are now beginning to raise eyebrows.

Edited by Sheeran
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SausageBlaster said:

Of course. That is self explanatory. The concept art itself doesen't matter, but that they have used someone else's picture, and promoted it as their own is not good. But i got a answer from the devs i could accept, so im happy happy happy, because im happy. I was just curious and a little suspicious, thats all.

I don't think it matters what type of images they use for concept art or as a base nor where they are coming from.  I imagine almost every game developer will use some kind of structures to build form..anyone remember Warhorse Studios showcasing how they build building models for Kingdom Come Deliverance? A lot of stuff was taken from the real places that were there historically and they would modify them. Amazing structures are inspirational it would be a sin not to use them.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Oroborous said:

I don't think it matters what type of images they use for concept art or as a base nor where they are coming from.  I imagine almost every game developer will use some kind of structures to build form..anyone remember Warhorse Studios showcasing how they build building models for Kingdom Come Deliverance? A lot of stuff was taken from the real places that were there historically and they would modify them. Amazing structures are inspirational it would be a sin not to use them.

What makes it even funnier is that there has been multiple threads that clearly stated this same type of action.

Example: When staff posted the thread to have players post awesome locations in that city that they would like to appear in game.

or the thread of what cars we would like to see in game. People post pictures of real cars... did they think staff would not use those images as a guide point?

TLDR: people are idiots. Don’t follow sheep.

• Like 1

For one, I'm not sure why the title says "Scam", and for two, not sure why people bat an eye about getting inspired by real life locations.

I looked up for concept art definition: "Concept art is a form of illustration used to convey an idea for use in films, video games, animation, comic books, or other media before it is put into the final product."

And if we look at the definition of concept, I think this one fits the best: "a plan or intention.", there's some other definitions but they don't really apply to this specific case.

And last thing I want to say, there's a lot of games that gets their inspiration from real places. And as long as the final product isn't an exact replica, I'm fine with that.

I didn't say you could use my house! jokes aside, why not paint over the image and make it actual concept art?