ShaneMcCoy

Scope of this game is too large

I don't want this to come off as negative, because I've been waiting on identity as long as anyone else now, but I'm just afraid the scope of this project is just too great.

I think the idea of this game is just way too ahead of it's time.

Honestly expecting nothing more than a glorified DarkRp, Arma Life, or GTA life type game.

I really don't know how to fully address all my concerns in a short explanation but:

~Too many variables that need to be implemented

~I'm not sure how big servers are going to be, but to have a game like this I'm expecting there's going to need to be a lot of player slots. How will servers hold?

~ This is being advertised as a serious RP experience, which is very NICHE. How will we get the actual population? This game is going to need a large population to run, I mean large. It's not the same as Gmod or Arma, which have light RP, do whatever the fuck you want elements.

~There's going to be A LOT of small details no one is ever going to care about after the initial "wow."

~Everyone is going to want to be the coolest, most fun classes. Not everyone can be a government official, not everyone can be a criminal. If the split is 50/50 then the game will just be cops and robbers. I can't really see anyone wanting to be a civilian.

~Very unlikely servers will keep a non chaotic, serious RP environment. You know the servers are going to be flooded with edgy kids.

Summed up, for the game to have the best immersion possible, there's going to need to be a LARGE civilian population. I highly doubt there will be a large enough population of players who want to do basic life tasks.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and misunderstand the purpose of the game. What do y'all think?

1 minute ago, ShaneMcCoy said:

I don't want this to come off as negative, because I've been waiting on identity as long as anyone else now, but I'm just afraid the scope of this project is just too great.

Honestly expecting nothing more than a glorified DarkRp, Arma Life, or GTA life type game.

I really don't know how to fully address all my concerns in a short explanation but:

~I'm not sure how big servers are going to be, but to have a game like this I'm expecting there's going to need to be a lot of player slots. How will servers hold?

~ This is being advertised as a serious RP experience, which is very NICHE. How will we get the actual population? This game is going to need a large population to run, I mean large. It's not the same as Gmod or Arma, which have light RP, do whatever the fuck you want elements.

~There's going to be A LOT of small details no one is ever going to care about after the initial "wow."

~Everyone is going to want to be the coolest, most fun classes. Not everyone can be a government official, not everyone can be a criminal. If the split is 50/50 then the game will just be cops and robbers. I can't really see anyone wanting to be a civilian.

~Very unlikely servers will keep a non chaotic, serious RP environment. You know the servers are going to be flooded with edgy kids.

Summed up, for the game to have the best immersion possible, there's going to need to be a LARGE civilian population. I highly doubt there will be a large enough population of players who want to do basic life tasks.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and misunderstand the purpose of the game. What do y'all think?

I always looked at this game as Arma Life: Standalone. Asylum are the ones who creates Arma Life, so it would make sense. I agree with most of your points but don't consider them as negatives really. As for the cops and robbers theme, I disagree. I think lots of us are fine with being regular citizens and making money. I don't think you can label crime as one category. Think about real life, someone who murders people for a living is a criminal. So is someone who grows cannabis in their back shed. I think Identity will work like this. Yes, most people will commit crimes, however not everyone will be running around with AK47's robbing the police station. 

The game will be filled with gmod role-players and it will "calibrate" / evolve to give them a gmod type experience, it has to happen or the game will die unfortunately.

The server capacity will be fine, like somebody said above they have a arma 3 server that can already hold (more than?) 100 players.

I'm guessing apart from select jobs (like police officer and governor) government officials, criminals and etc will just be civilians with extra perks.

Every multiplayer game ever is filled with edgy people, it can be a good thing and sometimes it isn't, we'll just have to see.

Edited by Cool_Cat

5 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

I always looked at this game as Arma Life: Standalone. Asylum are the ones who creates Arma Life, so it would make sense. I agree with most of your points but don't consider them as negatives really. As for the cops and robbers theme, I disagree. I think lots of us are fine with being regular citizens and making money. I don't think you can label crime as one category. Think about real life, someone who murders people for a living is a criminal. So is someone who grows cannabis in their back shed. I think Identity will work like this. Yes, most people will commit crimes, however not everyone will be running around with AK47's robbing the police station. 

LOL they did NOT make Arma Life.
They are just running a server and making some script changes to a already developed mod.
They took the core and changed and added to it, they did nothing of the nitty gritty stuff.

The core was done for them.

Edited by ECorp

6 hours ago, ShaneMcCoy said:

Shup

7 hours ago, ECorp said:

LOL they did NOT make Arma Life.
They are just running a server and making some script changes to a already developed mod.
They took the core and changed and added to it, they did nothing of the nitty gritty stuff.

The core was done for them.

I am almost certain I remember hearing something about these guys making the base life mod for Arma 3.

14 hours ago, ShaneMcCoy said:

Full game servers will hold 300 - 500 player slots per server. This is due to the technology of SpacialOS. 

Official servers will be Casual RP, but Private servers will be able to enforce more rules for RP to become a higher standard.

A lot of people will appreciate all of the work / elements while you always will get those others who don't care. That is life.

A lot of people want to be Civilian, running their own business.... Have you checked the business area of the forum yet? Also there is plenty of things to do. You can still try everything out. 

Official servers maybe but that will be more a casual setting for RP, however Private servers will be able to enforce things like rules and the players. Private servers will be able to white-list their servers.

I get that a lot of the population will want to go for cops or criminal most of the time but a lot of the current fan base want to run a business.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LuckyDuck said:

I get that a lot of the population will want to go for cops or criminal most of the time but a lot of the current fan base want to run a business.

Again I disagree with this personally. On Garry's Mod for example, you physically chose a job to be and are restricted to that role. You are a thief, you are a cop, you are a mugger etc. On Arma it's much more fluid. You aren't a criminal, you are a citizen who has committed a crime. You are given one role; a citizen. You can do with that as you wish. I don't think people will be thinking "Oh I want to go be a criminal" I think it will be more "I want this car that I cannot afford yet, if I grow some weed on the side I will be able to afford it sooner." 

Sorry if this seems like I am reading into it too much or something but I really don't want people enforcing the idea that this game is gonna be cops vs robbers. Crime is a spectrum, you aren't just either criminal or not. In DarkRP maybe you are because you are physically in game as a thief, but in games like Identity and Arma your entire character isn't just "a criminal". People won't commit crimes for the sake of it, it will be for the purpose of personal benefit hopefully.

By the way I am not starting an argument or anything, I am just opening a discussion on the topic which interests me. 

17 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

Again I disagree with this personally

I said it like that because it was just quicker replying with just "Criminal" instead of "Going and committing crimes" or something along those lines. I agree with what you are saying. I just said it for a quicker reply. (I don't like typing lol)

1 hour ago, LuckyDuck said:

I said it like that because it was just quicker replying with just "Criminal" instead of "Going and committing crimes" or something along those lines. I agree with what you are saying. I just said it for a quicker reply. (I don't like typing lol)

Oh yeah no problem at all I get you. I am curious what others think though.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, ShaneMcCoy said:

I am looking forward to do basic life tasks like finding a job, buying a studio flat and eventually a bike or a garage and a car and I can't wait to customize the flat however I want, rp-ing with my neighbours and so on and I think that a lot of people would want to play and rp as a civilian that does normal civilian stuff.

My biggest concern is that they wont make enough jobs/careers for civilians that are as good as criminals. All of my previous experience with these kinds of games is that as a criminal you make more money in shorter time but with a higher risk. Most people I played with would always do criminal stuff cuz its easy money or atleast some action and fun if you fail. I really hope they encourage players to choose a legal way to success.

Living a life as a criminal should be difficult and risky so that only serious gangs can make a good profit (that includes teamwork,investments,communication,weapons) to get there.

6 hours ago, Drd27 said:

I am looking forward to do basic life tasks like finding a job, buying a studio flat and eventually a bike or a garage and a car and I can't wait to customize the flat however I want, rp-ing with my neighbours and so on and I think that a lot of people would want to play and rp as a civilian that does normal civilian stuff.

Exactly, a lot of people will be civilians, I plan to be a civ, my husband does. And a few friends as well aren't interested in being gov/cops.
I'd be fine working at a hospital or coffee shop or whatevs

If any one has ever played "Arma III: Project Life", one would be aware that the servers were balanced between regular civilians, criminals, and Law enforcement officers. Certain individuals formed businesses that competed with other businesses in order to monopolize on a specific commodity or service, while other individuals graciously functioned as lower-level employees prior to cruising within their vehicles with their close friends. Other individuals preferred to function as full-scale mafia/gang-related organizations with the intent of accumulating profit while other subjects desired to function as E.M.T.s or Law enforcement officers. The only time period when the criminal activity had increased was when the developers had decided to increase the profitability of distributing marijuana to an N.P.C.-oriented dealer, while also shifting the entire game into a "Cops v. Robbers" simulation. Otherwise, the game was balanced prior to those changes. Finally, the desire for judges, lawyers, and security guards were also high in demand within "ARMA III: PROJECT LIFE".

Identity, on the other hand, heavily diversifies itself beyond mere "cops and robbers" within a military-oriented game.... it's an "Immersive Roleplay" experience that appeals to every single role within society.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, JoelKeys said:

Again I disagree with this personally. On Garry's Mod for example, you physically chose a job to be and are restricted to that role. You are a thief, you are a cop, you are a mugger etc. On Arma it's much more fluid. You aren't a criminal, you are a citizen who has committed a crime. You are given one role; a citizen. You can do with that as you wish. I don't think people will be thinking "Oh I want to go be a criminal" I think it will be more "I want this car that I cannot afford yet, if I grow some weed on the side I will be able to afford it sooner." 

Sorry if this seems like I am reading into it too much or something but I really don't want people enforcing the idea that this game is gonna be cops vs robbers. Crime is a spectrum, you aren't just either criminal or not. In DarkRP maybe you are because you are physically in game as a thief, but in games like Identity and Arma your entire character isn't just "a criminal". People won't commit crimes for the sake of it, it will be for the purpose of personal benefit hopefully.

By the way I am not starting an argument or anything, I am just opening a discussion on the topic which interests me. 

Certain individuals function as intentional criminals and unintentional criminals within the game. A terrorist, gang member, or serial killer is a different experience from a civilian that may distribute a few grams of marijuana in order to survive.

The game shall consist of BOTH intentional criminals and unintentional criminals, depending on the character that one desires to roleplay as.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ElChapo said:

My biggest concern is that they wont make enough jobs/careers for civilians that are as good as criminals. All of my previous experience with these kinds of games is that as a criminal you make more money in shorter time but with a higher risk. Most people I played with would always do criminal stuff cuz its easy money or atleast some action and fun if you fail. I really hope they encourage players to choose a legal way to success.

Living a life as a criminal should be difficult and risky so that only serious gangs can make a good profit (that includes teamwork,investments,communication,weapons) to get there.

I don't think that you heard about Corporations, that will allow you to be successful as a CEO or maybe as a worker in a legal way.

"Corporations will allow the successful with a little extra cash to become driving forces in Identity's dynamic economy. Corporations are organizations similar to, but separate from, gangs. They have the added ability of owning assets and issuing�work orders to their real-player employees. Some assets, such as the largest cargo trucks, are available only to corporations."

You could have a delivery business or a manufacturing factory.

This sound exciting.

Edited by Drd27
  • Like 1

Time will tell. Certainly Identity has the potential to be something groundbreaking, the question is, will it? For all the Devs good intentions there is a VERY good chance players will ignore the 'cool' stuff, or the novelty will wear off fast, and they'll reach for their guns. While it has the potential to break new ground, it also has the potential to be GTA with frills on.

Being a Cop, strictly speaking, should mean serving the community, if you're dealing with a bank job every five minutes then it's just pointless playing, I can shoot guns in games a million times better for PvP than this one will EVER be. Same with being a criminal, surely the main objective of crime is to get away with it? Potential boils down to sensible game play.

Edited by Jinx

This is a really good thread. This is my main worry about the game. Have they advertised something that in reality they cannot deliver? I really hope not. With the current team, I think they have, but I am assuming they are hoping that once the core of the game is released in beta, they get more funds to employ more devs to expand the game to their aspirations.

I actually use this post as a talking point on my new channel.

Edited by wiebley

17 minutes ago, wiebley said:

This is a really good thread. This is my main worry about the game. Have they advertised something that in reality they cannot deliver? I really hope not. With the current team, I think they have, but I am assuming they are hoping that once the core of the game is released in beta, they get more funds to employ more devs to expand the game to their aspirations.

I actually use this post as a talking point on my new channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf_P1UJisEUvMx3QUZGtYBg/featured?view_as=subscriber

This is not really the apropriate way to promote your channel pal, and speaking of advertising something they couldnt deliver, these devs know what they are doing and what they have promised is not that difficult to deliver, they wouldnt need other devs.

Apologies for promoting my channel incorrectly. I didn't realise that was a thing, but will take that on board.

My thoughts were that there must be a reason why a company as big as rockstar or ubisoft havnt thought about taking on a challenge this big before? GTA is probably the closest thing there has been (in terms of huge open world games where you can interact with a lot of the scenery/objects etc) and from what I can understand there have been a lot of claims from the devs about how interactive this game is going to be. The closest thing I can liken it to is GTA or perhaps Arma. When you compare the size of those companies teams and finance at their disposal to Identity, it dosnt come anywhere close.

I genuinely hope that I am wrong because I have really high hopes for this game and really hope the devs can deliver :D

1 hour ago, wiebley said:

Apologies for promoting my channel incorrectly. I didn't realise that was a thing, but will take that on board.

My thoughts were that there must be a reason why a company as big as rockstar or ubisoft havnt thought about taking on a challenge this big before? GTA is probably the closest thing there has been (in terms of huge open world games where you can interact with a lot of the scenery/objects etc) and from what I can understand there have been a lot of claims from the devs about how interactive this game is going to be. The closest thing I can liken it to is GTA or perhaps Arma. When you compare the size of those companies teams and finance at their disposal to Identity, it dosnt come anywhere close.

I genuinely hope that I am wrong because I have really high hopes for this game and really hope the devs can deliver :D

I get where you come from, believe me. The reason these companies haven't made any gameplans like these is probably not because of the difficulty of the job but more because its not really their game style, this kind of roleplay game kind of started with arma/gmod custom servers. this might mean that the demand of these type of roleplay games came from the people without the devs knowing about this. There are no facts to this whatsoever though, its all just speculation ;).

1 hour ago, wiebley said:

A big team can deliver more than a small team in a smaller time frame of time but a small team can deliver the same but in a larger time frame.

The funding is also a big issue but it will grow for this team and the team will grow too.