JohnNYBlaze

New Delay is disconcerting, but I stay the course...

Let me say that my faith has been shaken not only because of the 3rd delay(that I know of) but because of almost every single one of the ppl who I told about this game and got them to pledge, has come back to me pointing out these facts to me and I gotta tell you, your not helping your case setting all these deadlines for yourselves and then missing them. I got to be honest here...this last delay is a bit disconcerting for a lot of people that I've sent your way. Dev blogs with more promises that this won't take much longer aren't very reassuring after the 3rd time

...Let me state that I bought a PC because of this game. After years on console, the idea of a game this epic, that can really distinguish PC gaming from console, made me decide it was time to get a PC. Now if they can pull it off, Identity can give us a game worthy of playing on some of these insanely priced rigs we pay for. But honestly after all the hype, 3 delays that I know of, 2 of which were further from the first because they didnt want to come out with a date prematurely and miss it. Which they did twice anyway...Now there is a more detailed progress tracker, which is honestly what we shoulda had in the first place, that doesn't look very complete. It looks so incomplete it that it makes me wonder how they could announce and miss 3 release dates in the first place.

Now I'm not sitting here with a $15 to $30 "pledge"...In My Opinion that isn't a pledge. That's just trying to get an epic game for a pittance of what it's worth. I mean GTA went for $60 brand new for how long after it released?  Gta is only life as a criminal. Not to mention they had a blank check to make it with thousands of people involved in development. Identity is life from a criminal side, working class side, civil servant side as well as many other aspects. And ppl think it's gonna get made by "pledging" $15-$30, now imagine how watered down GTA would be if they only invested a quarter or half of what they did to develop it. They put roughly 265 million dollars into developing/marketing, just the criminal side of life. Now either the fan base expects you guys to work a whole lot of hours, or put 264 million on top of our 1.1 million...That is why I DONATED what I did because this game can be so much more than gta, but it won't happen without our help...

I am not asking for a refund, the money I put in was theirs to complete the game, or if they didn't. I really want Identity to become a reality. But if WE as their player base and investors, don't give them enough funding it won't come out. They'll either have to give up or get outside funding, if they get outside funding they could have to give up alot of artistic freedom's. We invest to keep the game WE want to see come to life...They would invest to make money, so certain things would get chopped. I paid for 60 my game, and gave another 190 towards helping Identity become real. I realize the scale of this game and what it's going to take to get made, and 1.1 million isn't gonna cut it. A massive portion of what it takes to make a game is man hours. People don't work for free...So if it took them so long to make gta with a blank check and thousands of ppl.

How long and how much will it take to make a game that is bigger in scale than one of the biggest games released to date. To say GTA isn't massive is crazy, and this is so much bigger than that. This is like GTA, meets the Sims, meets police, fire & EMT simulator, meets politics & government simulator, meets drug making simulator, meets hunting simulator, and so on and so forth. So I am hoping that things really are going as good as we hear.  But it seems to me that maybe we aren't being told the whole truth...are they getting enough funding, or something else...It seems that we are only hearing about the good side of development, honestly the only bad things I've heard is when a delay happens. I think we deserve to be kept in the loop a little better. At the very least more than a very cryptic progress tracker with no date and another "minor " setback promise. 

I have $250 into this game, I don't wipe my ass with hundreds either, but a game that's this massive of an undertaking is gonna need as much help as we can give it..With that being said we've seen a lot of telling us how fast things are moving, and top industry talent is working overtime in overdrive, and things are moving faster than they thought, you guys have a powerful new server making nightly builds for testing on steam. Everything is beginning to have that polished feel you expect in a real released game? Yet 3 delays, and only a scripted looking "game play" trailer...And now no release date just a more detailed progress tracker that really looks like there is a very LONG wait ahead of us...yet its predicted to be yet again a very "minor" wait. 

• Like 4

I still have plenty of hope. This happens to a lot of devs that don't even get on the shelves. The fact that there are so many updates even after the delay means they care about the game. I like how they have the progress tracer now. But truly they should have had it since the beginning. But I love it now. I can see what they are working on. Truly what they need to do is make a lot more of their volunteer staff more dedicated devs. I still am happy for this game. I am still optimistic but don't let some delays ruin your hope!

10 minutes ago, TPlays said:

Truly what they need to do is make a lot more of their volunteer staff more dedicated devs.

They have no volunteer staff other than the Moderators. The moderators are not devs as well, they are voluntary and help with the community moderation only.

• Like 1

That detailed tracker shoulda been what we got in the 1st place before the 1 missed release, If it really is gonna be that minor of a delay...why bother making a tracker? I don't care about delays, I care about following thru with what ppl say. I followed thru on my pledge, as did many others who wanna see this game come to life...It just seems like everything is sugar coated instead of the straight truth, we dont hear much about bad until the delay actually happens...If we heard about what they are dealing with ppl might actually encourage you to push things back for the sake of development...Sony just pushed back Days Gone till next year (the word is simply cause it didnt wanna compete with RDR2) And for consoles pushing a game back seems to have the opposite affect on players. But on console if a game gets cancelled, it's all their money that they put in that's lost we lose nothing except a game we wanted to play.

PC is a totally different monster. If you make a game and don't have any problems...you're doing something wrong. Any game this involved is gonna have issues...especially when there are a ton of ppl worried about paying $15 for a game clearly worth much more. I bet there are so many more ppl too cheap to actually help development than ppl who simply can't afford to throw more money in, and would only be able to afford the game on early access deal or a sale or something. The only thing that makes me worried is the player base not helping out enough. I'm not worried about delays, would just prefer it if we got it straight instead of everything is going so well then...delay...I just feel like oh well obviously things aren't going as well as we keep hearing...I'm starting to feel like a chimney...Their pledgers shouldn't feel like that.

52 minutes ago, JohnNYBlaze said:

That detailed tracker shoulda been what we got in the 1st place before the 1 missed release, If it really is gonna be that minor of a delay...why bother making a tracker? I don't care about delays, I care about following thru with what ppl say. I followed thru on my pledge, as did many others who wanna see this game come to life...It just seems like everything is sugar coated instead of the straight truth, we dont hear much about bad until the delay actually happens...If we heard about what they are dealing with ppl might actually encourage you to push things back for the sake of development...Sony just pushed back Days Gone till next year (the word is simply cause it didnt wanna compete with RDR2) And for consoles pushing a game back seems to have the opposite affect on players. But on console if a game gets cancelled, it's all their money that they put in that's lost we lose nothing except a game we wanted to play.

PC is a totally different monster. If you make a game and don't have any problems...you're doing something wrong. Any game this involved is gonna have issues...especially when there are a ton of ppl worried about paying $15 for a game clearly worth much more. I bet there are so many more ppl too cheap to actually help development than ppl who simply can't afford to throw more money in, and would only be able to afford the game on early access deal or a sale or something. The only thing that makes me worried is the player base not helping out enough. I'm not worried about delays, would just prefer it if we got it straight instead of everything is going so well then...delay...I just feel like oh well obviously things aren't going as well as we keep hearing...I'm starting to feel like a chimney...Their pledgers shouldn't feel like that.

i love it :)

On 4/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, JohnNYBlaze said:

Let me say that my faith has been shaken not only because of the 3rd delay(that I know of) but because of almost every single one of the ppl who I told about this game and got them to pledge, has come back to me pointing out these facts to me and I gotta tell you, your not helping your case setting all these deadlines for yourselves and then missing them. I got to be honest here...this last delay is a bit disconcerting for a lot of people that I've sent your way. Dev blogs with more promises that this won't take much longer aren't very reassuring after the 3rd time

...Let me state that I bought a PC because of this game. After years on console, the idea of a game this epic, that can really distinguish PC gaming from console, made me decide it was time to get a PC. Now if they can pull it off, Identity can give us a game worthy of playing on some of these insanely priced rigs we pay for. But honestly after all the hype, 3 delays that I know of, 2 of which were further from the first because they didnt want to come out with a date prematurely and miss it. Which they did twice anyway...Now there is a more detailed progress tracker, which is honestly what we shoulda had in the first place, that doesn't look very complete. It looks so incomplete it that it makes me wonder how they could announce and miss 3 release dates in the first place.

Now I'm not sitting here with a $15 to $30 "pledge"...In My Opinion that isn't a pledge. That's just trying to get an epic game for a pittance of what it's worth. I mean GTA went for $60 brand new for how long after it released?  Gta is only life as a criminal. Not to mention they had a blank check to make it with thousands of people involved in development. Identity is life from a criminal side, working class side, civil servant side as well as many other aspects. And ppl think it's gonna get made by "pledging" $15-$30, now imagine how watered down GTA would be if they only invested a quarter or half of what they did to develop it. They put roughly 265 million dollars into developing/marketing, just the criminal side of life. Now either the fan base expects you guys to work a whole lot of hours, or put 264 million on top of our 1.1 million...That is why I DONATED what I did because this game can be so much more than gta, but it won't happen without our help...

I am not asking for a refund, the money I put in was theirs to complete the game, or if they didn't. I really want Identity to become a reality. But if WE as their player base and investors, don't give them enough funding it won't come out. They'll either have to give up or get outside funding, if they get outside funding they could have to give up alot of artistic freedom's. We invest to keep the game WE want to see come to life...They would invest to make money, so certain things would get chopped. I paid for 60 my game, and gave another 190 towards helping Identity become real. I realize the scale of this game and what it's going to take to get made, and 1.1 million isn't gonna cut it. A massive portion of what it takes to make a game is man hours. People don't work for free...So if it took them so long to make gta with a blank check and thousands of ppl.

How long and how much will it take to make a game that is bigger in scale than one of the biggest games released to date. To say GTA isn't massive is crazy, and this is so much bigger than that. This is like GTA, meets the Sims, meets police, fire & EMT simulator, meets politics & government simulator, meets drug making simulator, meets hunting simulator, and so on and so forth. So I am hoping that things really are going as good as we hear.  But it seems to me that maybe we aren't being told the whole truth...are they getting enough funding, or something else...It seems that we are only hearing about the good side of development, honestly the only bad things I've heard is when a delay happens. I think we deserve to be kept in the loop a little better. At the very least more than a very cryptic progress tracker with no date and another "minor " setback promise. 

I have $250 into this game, I don't wipe my ass with hundreds either, but a game that's this massive of an undertaking is gonna need as much help as we can give it..With that being said we've seen a lot of telling us how fast things are moving, and top industry talent is working overtime in overdrive, and things are moving faster than they thought, you guys have a powerful new server making nightly builds for testing on steam. Everything is beginning to have that polished feel you expect in a real released game? Yet 3 delays, and only a scripted looking "game play" trailer...And now no release date just a more detailed progress tracker that really looks like there is a very LONG wait ahead of us...yet its predicted to be yet again a very "minor" wait. 

Everything you’ve listed in the beginning seems to be entirely your fault. Nobody pushed you to buy a computer. That was your choice. While it was good you got other people to pledge for this game that doesn’t mean they should come to you to bitch, because it was their choice to pledge, not yours, so I wouldn’t get too worked up over that.

5 hours ago, Kraiyick said:

Everything you’ve listed in the beginning seems to be entirely your fault. Nobody pushed you to buy a computer. That was your choice. While it was good you got other people to pledge for this game that doesn’t mean they should come to you to bitch, because it was their choice to pledge, not yours, so I wouldn’t get too worked up over that.

Truth.

• Like 1

I'm not slamming the developers in any way, but we all know how these things work. If they had begun with a development tracker, not as many people would have pledged so early. I know their development team is small so it's a lot of work that has to be done. I knew this game wasn't going to be done anytime soon. They did the same thing that GTA did with the story DLC speculation. They waited until the middle of last year to finally confirm that there would be no story DLC; after all the years the game had been out. And then months later confirmed that the online DLC's were actually the story expansion, but decided to make it online DLC. Their reason for doing that; $$$$$$$$$. I'm not saying that Asylum is doing the same thing; because there development team is way smaller than Rockstar's. But you as a consumer have to use your common knowledge. Though the game map is not nearly as big as GTA; it has way more detailed user features. That kind of development takes a long time.

EVERYWHERE PC game is going to take a while as well. But what I respect about EVERYWHERE is that they have not put out a release date or a peep about the development progress. All we know is that they started sometime around 2016 and are currently still working. So there is nothing to get all worked up about yet. However; I would love for them to launch a forum website similar to this one.  

@JohnNYBlaze Chill! The delays suck and it undoubtedly is concerning but it's all part of life and in particular supporting the development of indie games. I can say with every ounce of certainty that the last thing the Dev's want is a delay. They've more invested in this game than all of us combined, they've put years of sleepless nights, sweat and tears into this, we're just simply supporting that by forking over cash (albeit hard-earned!). The Dev's will want to see their vision for Identity released and receive the recognition and credit for their hard work more than any of us. There however are a huge number of factors at play including competition, maintaining the current releases and developing the future modules, community relations, monetisation, legal nonsense, HR, advertising, recruitment, blah, blah, blah, all the boring stuff that we don't really care about but which the Dev's do have to juggle. This is indeed a massive undertaking however I would not have any serious concerns right now, the Dev's might not be the best at project management (identifying the date  of release, bottlenecks etc.) but that in no way indicative that this game won't feature unique or groundbreaking gameplay/mechanics or be successful. The best thing you can do to support the game is smile and grit your teeth and bare it. Let the Dev's do what they ultimately do best, DEVELOP THE GAME!

Hope this doesn't come across as condescending, that's not my intention but just my 2c.

Also welcome to the PC gaming club, you'll love it! :D

Edited by DeWaldo89

Well, the fact that you bought a PC for this game shows that you are amazingly loyal to the game. But, that PC is going to do a lot more for you in the long run. Trust me. I understand what you mean about the delays, they are disappointing. But to be fair, this is going to be a very short lived delay. They make A LOT of progress in just a day. 

• Like 1

I can understand your points and with any statement or opinion, there are counter points and different points of view. I am not the kind of person who gets worked up over a few bucks intended on bringing me entertainment, so to me, unless the company does just abandons the project, i can wait. Fifteen bucks is the cost to go see a movie by yourself, and you get to watch it once, 30 bucks if you take a date, so the low investors like me are sitting ok at this time. The higher your investment in something, the more risk there is that what you have spent it on isn't going to be what you expected.

With that being said, you said some things that were interesting, how you have brought people to the game and that you have concerns. If we play devils advocate and say, "well, if the devs would release this or that, like more than a minute long video of game play, or live stream things about the game instead of CS:GO or whatever, it would be less likely that people would need to be referred. You could say, just release the module, continue working and do patch pushes to the module as you get them completed. There are so many opinions on what should be done here or how it should be done there, but in the end, the developers are going to do things on their terms UNLESS there is backlash like mass refunds or negative videos on social media about their game, a game none of us have experienced.

So, i think that if we all just remember that we decided to back it, and even if we were promised the moon and stars, from the drop there was a chance this was going to happen. We have seen games do better than anticipated, and we have seen hype trains derail on the backers and pre order folks, like NMS. The more negative as a community we are and impatient we are, it shows and its less likely others will invest. So, lets all just be a little more patient, a little more tolerant of comments, even if we disagree and show the gaming world that this is a different kind of game with a different kind of community, instead of devolving into the typical toxic disappointed fan base that we have seen in other games.

That's just my two cents and i think that i will catch some "Don't tell me how to feel" and "you don't understand cause you aren't part of the community" comments, but I am OK with that, I am just going to wait and see what happens and hope that we get to play sooner than later, and that the folks butting heads on the forums can be civil in game so everyone can enjoy it.

Peace.

• Like 2

I am well aware that it was my decision to buy a PC as it was my money that paid for it. I don't see what is my fault as I wasn't blaming anyone for anything. I never said anything about being pushed to buy a PC, for or from this game. I essentially said the prospect of this game made me buy a PC in anticipation of playing it. Which says a lot if you think about it. Why do I have to explain what I'm thinking? We have the freedom to post our thoughts...and that is what I was doing. I am voicing my opinion, and those that watch my stream that pledged, and seen the refund requests and doubters, wanted to know what I thought they should do. Not starting a debate of whose right and wrong. This is exactly why I don't really post on these forum's anymore...because it feels more like high school, than a forum for a game I'm anticipating.  

When I said, I got a PC because of this game, was to imply how badly I have to play Identity. I've been enjoying a lot of games on PC since I started playing last year, so pretty much giving credit to Identity for broadening my horizon's to PC gaming. If games are getting this awesome then I needed a PC. I am a gamer...I game where ever there are awesome games to play. I'm not holding a torch for a specific platform anymore. They don't hold a torch for all the money we give them. My post was more of a reassurance for anyone else in my position that might be having 2nd thoughts. To see that they aren't alone and just cause some ppl doubt and abandon ship, despite the delays, we still believe in their vision. I've seen more than a few refund requests, and the ppl I sent that pledged that brought their questions to me. No one came bitching to me, they were voicing their opinions to the person that brought to their attention, and influenced them to pledge, to Identity.They wanted to know if I thought the game is really coming. As I have a decent pledge. Them knowing I wasn't bailing was a reassurance in and of itself. 

I told them to think about how long it takes major developers to make games a fraction of this size. People can't be blamed for being cautious, just how they express those concerns, especially when deadlines are missed more than once. When you say things like,  most of the systems are in place and it's not far off....then they miss the anticipated module release date 3 times, it can be worrisome, and honestly how are things moving faster than anticipated? Seems like it's just wishful thinking. So I understand why they feel that way. Personally I don't see this game coming to full release in the next year or even two. It takes major developers years and millions to make games a fraction of the size of Identity. My post was meant to be more of a vote of confidence even though we got another delay, and to voice some legitimate concerns. Like maybe not setting deadlines to release the modules, announce the release when they are ready to go. As it's been said theses things never go as planned things need to be adjusted, reworked, replaced and the list goes on.

• Like 2