Trisword

Before we all get mad at the dev's

Okay so i'm seeing a lot of complaining about the gameplay video that came out recently, I know it looks pretty bad but please, let me be the devils advocate here

Firstly, it was showing pieces of models and animations that aren't even in the module that's being released. I wouldn't be making this post if it were demonstrating the town square and it was all low poly template animations, in fact i'd be complaining too. 

Secondly, like i said before, their placeholders, the graphics aren't going to be like that (I hope) nor are the animations and the only thing that i didn't see people dislike was the meth making system, and that! That is the only part of the game that were probably going to see in the first module that was shown in the video, not combat, not driving, not arresting just jobs! (even that i doubt will make it into the first module!)

Could they have done better? yes definitely but they were stuck in a situation where people would get annoyed either way, they had to make a choice between no gameplay trailers and another missed deadline apology or, producing a trailer with what little they have at the moment, giving people something (even if it wasn't what we were hoping for) and at least having the ability to hide behind a "We did keep out deadline this time!" card.

But what do i know. I have no idea what goes on in Asylum, this is just my best guess. that someone made a bad PR choice and we got the mess of the gameplay 

I just want to also say, I am in no way saying that Asylum are innocent when they came out with the gameplay video. i'm just trying to let people see the other side of the fence before they make a decision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trisword said:

That is the only part of the game that were probably going to see in the first module that was shown in the video, not combat, not driving, not arresting just jobs! (even that i doubt will make it into the first module!)

No Jobs in the 1st module. And so no RV because it is a vehicle and so the meth lab won't be in the game until likely the 2nd Module, but I doubt that unless they have it in one of the competitive game modes. The guns and vehicles yes, indeed won't be in Module 1 but will be in module 2 and 3. The Meth lab will more likely be in the Beta which will be after the 3 modules. The arresting animation will be for the 2nd Module too. Most/ pretty much all of those things were showing things which you can expect some game play be like, except better. But I pretty much agree with you.

1 hour ago, Trisword said:

Okay so i'm seeing a lot of complaining about the gameplay video that came out recently, I know it looks pretty bad but please, let me be the devils advocate here

Firstly, it was showing pieces of models and animations that aren't even in the module that's being released. I wouldn't be making this post if it were demonstrating the town square and it was all low poly template animations, in fact i'd be complaining too. 

Secondly, like i said before, their placeholders, the graphics aren't going to be like that (I hope) nor are the animations and the only thing that i didn't see people dislike was the meth making system, and that! That is the only part of the game that were probably going to see in the first module that was shown in the video, not combat, not driving, not arresting just jobs! (even that i doubt will make it into the first module!)

Could they have done better? yes definitely but they were stuck in a situation where people would get annoyed either way, they had to make a choice between no gameplay trailers and another missed deadline apology or, producing a trailer with what little they have at the moment, giving people something (even if it wasn't what we were hoping for) and at least having the ability to hide behind a "We did keep out deadline this time!" card.

But what do i know. I have no idea what goes on in Asylum, this is just my best guess. that someone made a bad PR choice and we got the mess of the gameplay 

I just want to also say, I am in no way saying that Asylum are innocent when they came out with the gameplay video. i'm just trying to let people see the other side of the fence before they make a decision.

With any new company comes trial and error when learning occurs. My only hope is that the Asylum team learns from this and fixes up the PR problems they are beginning to be known for. They still have a chance to change that perspective and I hope they grab it.

1 hour ago, GoldenPancake said:

What's wrong with the graphics? Look good to me

The graphics in that gameplay video were completely different from what they showed us earlier.  Just compare the earlier videos where you see a house in the forest and compare it to what they showed in the video.  It's not the same.  That fact alone killed a lot of hype for me.

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

The graphics in that gameplay video were completely different from what they showed us earlier.  Just compare the earlier videos where you see a house in the forest and compare it to what they showed in the video.  It's not the same.  That fact alone killed a lot of hype for me.

That "House" won't be in the TS Module and is not something they are focusing on getting updated as they would rather get the TS module stuff updated first. Yes they made the video the #1 priority to get it out to us but it doesn't mean that the things which won't be in the first Alpha module would include those things. When you see the TS module trailer, then you should judge it on such things like the environment but also remember the game is Pre-Alpha at this stage and no game has "Full Game Release" graphics at such a point.

I'm of the ones that don't care much about the video. What I am waiting for is the modules, videos before that, I just don't care much. I pledged already I don't need more convincing. And I sure don't need to be hyped for a game I can't play.

Now showing placeholders and elements that wont be in the module is hardly an excuse for anything. If you put "gameplay" in the title of the video,  you should show things that at least will be in the game. That video wasn't a gameplay video whatsoever, it was an unconvincing hype video.

It's unhealthy to hype and promise things that don't exist yet. Of course they need to promote the game even tho it's in early stage. But I'd rather have them work on the actual game, and stop making promises they don't keep. 

I just don't understand the community here asking for better videos. What will better videos do for you? Is that what you want from the dev team, for them to promise wonders so you can jerck off to it, and ultimately be disappointed by the game and cry about it. Or do you want devs that simply work on their games and deliver when it's ready?

I feel like the community is asking all the wrong things.

Edited by Mr_Mog

2 hours ago, Mr_Mog said:

I'm of the ones that don't care much about the video. What I am waiting for is the modules, videos before that, I just don't care much. I pledged already I don't need more convincing. And I sure don't need to be hyped for a game I can't play.

Now showing placeholders and elements that wont be in the module is hardly an excuse for anything. If you put "gameplay" in the title of the video,  you should show things that at least will be in the game. That video wasn't a gameplay video whatsoever, it was an unconvincing hype video.

It's unhealthy to hype and promise things that don't exist yet. Of course they need to promote the game even tho it's in early stage. But I'd rather have them work on the actual game, and stop making promises they don't keep. 

I just don't understand the community here asking for better videos. What will better videos do for you? Is that what you want from the dev team, for them to promise wonders so you can jerck off to it, and ultimately be disappointed by the game and cry about it. Or do you want devs that simply work on their games and deliver when it's ready?

I feel like the community is asking all the wrong things.

agreed i'd much rather the devs place all their focus on perfecting the game instead of trying to appeal to all of us. the emails are enough for me, but like i said, they were stuck between a hard place and a wall, either they do what the mass says and release an unpolished video or they keep quiet and leave people in the dark, thus making them dissapointed regardless of whatever they chose.

6 hours ago, Trisword said:

I get what you are saying, but as I said in my own post, the use of placeholders is not a valid excuse for a gameplay video. Teasers are supposed to show placeholders, to tease us of what the game is like, but we were promised a gameplay video, we got a video and when we complain about, the defense seems to be that everything was a placeholder. What did we see then? How much of an accurate representation is that video of the game? If we didn't see the real animations or graphics, what did we see? What is the point of showing us gameplay if everything we saw is going to be changed? If the development team has to choose between releasing a bad video or meeting a deadline, then they should stop setting themselves deadlines. Stop promising us things if you can't deliver on them.

I will also say though, we aren't attacking the dev team maliciously. I backed the game and want it to do well, but I simply disliked the gameplay video. We are allowed to tell the development team that they made a bad video and we didn't like it, that is okay. We do not need to defend them, because they aren't being attacked. We are giving them our feedback.

• Like 1

People wanted a video because it's been a very long time, then they tried to make one with the things they had in hand. Personally, I'd rather wait until they provide something that we can feast our eyes on. At this point, the game is still very early access and a lot of parts of the map are still very old. Town Square being their main priority, I doubt they would have put an insane amount of efforts just to show us a video for the greedy people in demand of game play footage.

I get it, we all want to see how the game looks like and we want to play it. But why put all the focus on a video? It wouldn't make any sense because they need a good base before making one. And it seems like there's been a lot of things that has been scratched and redone over and over during those slow years of development. It's been only roughly half a year since they made a leap in terms of productivity.

I know Asylum will learn from their mistakes. It's when we give them constructive criticism that it'll help them improve the game. I've seen a lot of people saying the video was a joke, that they would have thought it would have been the work of 3 years, borderline complaining about this and that. Yes I defend this game and the developers, yes I've pledge a lot of money on this. But when I criticize, I give my honest opinion and facts.

So for example, I'll say the apartment video was really cool, with the amount of options to chose from. But the body of the character could use some improvements (yes I know they changed it a lot after it). But for the crime video, I was hyped yes, but since John has said that we shouldn't get our hype level too high, I was wondering why and then I knew since I looked at the video the first time. I noticed how those assets weren't photo realistic, but I knew they were placeholders. I was a bit disappointed about the driving physics (as someone who loves driving), but I knew they wanted to make something quick as a placeholder, and that it'll definitely change in module three. The animations were a little funky, but I knew that we won't see most of them until module two, three and full beta. So I kept in mind that most of the stuff in the video were low priority in the development. They just wanted to show that it exists and it's not a joke. Like a glimpse of what you'll be able to do.

Whew it's starting to get long. But yeah, I'd wait until the Town Square video, or even the first module which the goal is for us to test it and give feedback.