uncannierlink

What kind of rules regard corruption in the Police Departement would you like to see on Official Servers?

IMO one of the most boring RP interactions in Arma Life was the solo small time criminal and the by the books cop. Basically, the cop guns you down, tickets you, and you go to jail or pay the ticket. It's like interacting with an ATM.

I think as far as server rules, corruption should be allowed, hell even encouraged. Obviously within the police department they should dismiss officers who are proven to be corrupt (Maybe only temporarily) as there has to be some risk associated with corruption.

I don't really have anything specific in mind though other than there needs to be some god damn corrupt officers in the force otherwise it'll be boring. Do you guys have any ideas for specific punishments regarding corruption? What do you think of Corruption being present on official servers? What is the ideal balance between corruption and "by the book" police work?

I agree with allowing corruption, as my character is pretty much going to be corrupt. AKA A gang leader and a Politician.

• Like 1

I do not think Police work will be "boring" even though it isn't my cup of tea and will never pursue a career there. Thinking about it, I honestly think players will have fun with this role constantly being on the look out for anyone doing anything wrong. Writing tickets, arresting people, even walking a beat.....In real life as we all know good and well there are plenty of corrupt cops. Just the way things are. There should be some in game as well. Just my 2 cents. *Steps off my soapbox*

Edited by Kardlef
  • Like 2
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

As a player who is planning on joining the force, I disagree with this statement in a few ways. Firstly I want to make it clear that I do not think that corruption should be against server rules (You shouldn't get banned for it) but I also do not believe it should be encouraged. Sure there will be corrupt cops because people want the cash, but I don't think there will or should be too many. The next aspect is politicians. I would hate to see a public server politician become corrupt. Now when I say corrupt, I don't mean doing drugs or breaking laws, I mean pardoning criminals with ties to certain gangs or them working with certain gangs. The only reason I say this is because I know what it is like being in a game or on a server where one party or group has full control over the server. Especially in some life-based RP games, I have played. Basically what happens is someone makes a criminal empire and because of that, they are capable of pulling off major crimes. Now the problem lies once this group is in correlation with a governing body. the reason being is the cops will either be at a complete disadvantage when attempting to apprehend the criminals (given misinformation, they are warned ahead of time, etc), or the police will be useless because even if they arrest someone, they would just be pardoned or released. Now, this is not fun for a variety of reasons. The first being the police. As an officer, you would be looking for an opportunity to roleplay as a job you find interesting. So when you physically can not do your job because you know that if you respond to that call or you try to place a warrant, you will get killed by a large group of people on the backs of corrupt police and politicians. The second is that when the officers cannot do their jobs, the whole city goes into complete anarchy, making any player not apart of what would more than likely be a secluded gang, getting bullied and pushed around without any means of defending themselves. In simplest terms, in the course of probably a year (depending on the gangs grow rate), this will be the history of that server.

The History of Hell:

• Peaceful town. Minimal Crime. Police have control. Structured Gov. (The way intended by our Gods (the devs))
  • Gang violence starts peaking. Police are directing attention towards that.
  • Gang violence erupts into Suburban and Inner city. Police now have most attention there.
  • Gang Violence is a major problem. Police ignore lesser crimes. Politicians start focusing on fixing the issue.
  • Gang conversion. All smaller gangs start to group up into larger gangs. This could be anywhere from inner-city to outer-city or east-side vs west-side. The city has become a "hood" type feel.
  • All crime begins to spike. Police start going corrupt. Remaining police lose control. Politicians lose control.
  • People begin leaving the city.
  • Gang violence surges for days. Police can not intervein because of little manpower. Politicians go into hiding. Businesses close down. People hide
  • One gang is victorious. Gang violence massively drops. Crime spikes.
  • Politicians are forced to step down, corrupt leaders elected.
  • Police lose even more control.
  • Remaining police band together in a vigilante force.
  • Most die
  • Vigilante force outnumbered.
  • Vigilante force leaves.
  • Normal citizens get harassed.
  • Normal citizens leave.

Now for some people that may sound fun. However it really isn't, the untold history after that is everyone is just grinding non-stop because they are never contested by law enforcement. So the server struggles to get new people, old ones leave, and it dies out. No one but the ones in the action will have fun and for everyone else, its a complete middle figure to their attempt at immersion. I got a bit sidetracked but to attempt to tie this to the whole corruption thing, basically if too many police go corrupt, it would be because of a large gang. This large gang will more than likely follow this timeline. Now if a politician went corrupt, this would just boost the process where basically we skip the gang violence a skip straight to the police losing complete control. If you need me to clarify, ask me. I can understand any confusion. (Not check/revised/edited)

I lied I will edit this once to add this bit. Just to restate, I am fine with small corruption here and there, but we have to be careful of an outcome stated above. It is not a very small chance that it will happen, it has a very good chance of happening if the general corruption like we think would happen, happen. It would be a shame to watch an entire official server being avoided or driving players away from the game. 

Edited by Danthecancerman
  • Like 3

On 1/24/2018 at 9:47 PM, uncannierlink said:

IMO one of the most boring RP interactions in Arma Life was the solo small time criminal and the by the books cop. Basically, the cop guns you down, tickets you, and you go to jail or pay the ticket. It's like interacting with an ATM.

I think as far as server rules, corruption should be allowed, hell even encouraged. Obviously within the police department they should dismiss officers who are proven to be corrupt (Maybe only temporarily) as there has to be some risk associated with corruption.

I don't really have anything specific in mind though other than there needs to be some god damn corrupt officers in the force otherwise it'll be boring. Do you guys have any ideas for specific punishments regarding corruption? What do you think of Corruption being present on official servers? What is the ideal balance between corruption and "by the book" police work?

The best way to have police policies and have them enforced would be private servers. They can have a penal code and The Consitution in place.

6 hours ago, Villasenor said:

The best way to have police policies and have them enforced would be private servers. They can have a penal code and The Consitution in place.

I also recall on stream, a dev informed us that on Official servers, there will be people who can "rank up" in a sense through system sort of similar to karma points. (You do your job you get good karma, you don't you get bad karma.) I would assume those in higher positions would be the ones to punish accordingly.

2 hours ago, Danthecancerman said:

I also recall on stream, a dev informed us that on Official servers, there will be people who can "rank up" in a sense through system sort of similar to karma points. (You do your job you get good karma, you don't you get bad karma.) I would assume those in higher positions would be the ones to punish accordingly.

I meant more like what officers can or can't do. In private servers, you can enforce the constitution and a penal code.

Edited by Villasenor

On 25/01/2018 at 5:47 AM, uncannierlink said:

On official servers, corruption won't be allowed really

There also won't be rules on such things but mechanics preventing things.

If you want to earn money, then you need to do your job as a cop.

To get promoted then, you need to catch those crooks!

1 hour ago, LuckyDuck said:

On official servers, corruption won't be allowed really

There also won't be rules on such things but mechanics preventing things.

If you want to earn money, then you need to do your job as a cop.

To get promoted then, you need to catch those crooks!

Can you link where the devs said this? It's very disheartening. If they're going to server ban cops for taking bribes, Official servers are going to be so dull.

On 25/01/2018 at 5:32 PM, Kardlef said:

I do not think Police work will be "boring" even though it isn't my cup of tea and will never pursue a career there. Thinking about it, I honestly think players will have fun with this role constantly being on the look out for anyone doing anything wrong. Writing tickets, arresting people, even walking a beat.....In real life as we all know good and well there are plenty of corrupt cops. Just the way things are. There should be some in game as well. Just my 2 cents. *Steps off my soapbox*

The cops are not the ones who are bored. It's the criminals who have to deal with the brain dead drone cops all day that will be bored. 

7 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

Can you link where the devs said this? It's very disheartening. If they're going to server ban cops for taking bribes, Official servers are going to be so dull.

Well, I didn't say a server ban. I just said no rules upon it as a mechanic will handle stuff like that, like the stress system handles / maintains RDM and no need for the rule. 

Well the devs said that for you to earn money, you have to do things because there won't be a basic pay every 10 mins and so if you do nothing then you earn nothing.

If you want to progress through the police ranking then doing your job e.g. catching crooks will get you there the fastest but also if you let those crooks go then it could be a possible thing to remove you as a cop. I will search for it and also get a definite answer from the devs on Monday if I have not found the answer before then.

27 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

The cops are not the ones who are bored. It's the criminals who have to deal with the brain dead drone cops all day that will be bored. 

1. I disagree, The servers won't be dry just because cops have to do their jobs. That's actually quite absurd to assume. Many cops will play cops because they want to protect citizens, and make sure people obey the law, many players will play criminal because they want the easy cash or adrenaline of running from police. Not everyone wants a shootout to happen or to have the ability to pay someone off to make criminals job easy. This game is not supposed to be crimeRP with AI police. It is supposed to be a life-based game where players can choose from a multitude of roles. Also, Lucky never said they would be banned, he said the server mechanics will handle it.

2. Please elaborate on how criminals, the ones who have the ability to perform many tasks such as robbing banks, smuggling drugs, selling drugs, making illegal weapons, and more, will be bored compared to the police who will drive around doing traffic stops until the CRIMINALS decide to give them some action to respond to.

Sorry for any repeats to lucky's recent post, it was posted while I wrote this

Edited by Danthecancerman
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, Danthecancerman said:

As a player who is planning on joining the force, I disagree with this statement in a few ways. Firstly I want to make it clear that I do not think that corruption should be against server rules (You shouldn't get banned for it) but I also do not believe it should be encouraged. Sure there will be corrupt cops because people want the cash, but I don't think there will or should be too many. The next aspect is politicians. I would hate to see a public server politician become corrupt. Now when I say corrupt, I don't mean doing drugs or breaking laws, I mean pardoning criminals with ties to certain gangs or them working with certain gangs. The only reason I say this is because I know what it is like being in a game or on a server where one party or group has full control over the server. Especially in some life-based RP games, I have played. Basically what happens is someone makes a criminal empire and because of that, they are capable of pulling off major crimes. Now the problem lies once this group is in correlation with a governing body. the reason being is the cops will either be at a complete disadvantage when attempting to apprehend the criminals (given misinformation, they are warned ahead of time, etc), or the police will be useless because even if they arrest someone, they would just be pardoned or released. Now, this is not fun for a variety of reasons. The first being the police. As an officer, you would be looking for an opportunity to roleplay as a job you find interesting. So when you physically can not do your job because you know that if you respond to that call or you try to place a warrant, you will get killed by a large group of people on the backs of corrupt police and politicians. The second is that when the officers cannot do their jobs, the whole city goes into complete anarchy, making any player not apart of what would more than likely be a secluded gang, getting bullied and pushed around without any means of defending themselves. In simplest terms, in the course of probably a year (depending on the gangs grow rate), this will be the history of that server.

The History of Hell:

• Peaceful town. Minimal Crime. Police have control. Structured Gov. (The way intended by our Gods (the devs))
  • Gang violence erupts into Suburban and Inner city. Police now have most attention there.
  • Gang Violence is a major problem. Police ignore lesser crimes. Politicians start focusing on fixing the issue.
  • Gang conversion. All smaller gangs start to group up into larger gangs. This could be anywhere from inner-city to outer-city or east-side vs west-side. The city has become a "hood" type feel.
  • All crime begins to spike. Police start going corrupt. Remaining police lose control. Politicians lose control.
  • Gang violence surges for days. Police can not intervein because of little manpower. Politicians go into hiding. Businesses close down. People hide
  • Most die
  • Normal citizens leave.

Now for some people that may sound fun. However it really isn't, the untold history after that is everyone is just grinding non-stop because they are never contested by law enforcement. So the server struggles to get new people, old ones leave, and it dies out. No one but the ones in the action will have fun and for everyone else, its a complete middle figure to their attempt at immersion. I got a bit sidetracked but to attempt to tie this to the whole corruption thing, basically if too many police go corrupt, it would be because of a large gang. This large gang will more than likely follow this timeline. Now if a politician went corrupt, this would just boost the process where basically we skip the gang violence a skip straight to the police losing complete control. If you need me to clarify, ask me. I can understand any confusion. (Not check/revised/edited)

I lied I will edit this once to add this bit. Just to restate, I am fine with small corruption here and there, but we have to be careful of an outcome stated above. It is not a very small chance that it will happen, it has a very good chance of happening if the general corruption like we think would happen, happen. It would be a shame to watch an entire official server being avoided or driving players away from the game. 

This is an excellent write-up, and I agree completely. Small corruption = good. Large corruption needs to be wiped out.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

17 hours ago, Villasenor said:

Not sure what you're saying here. There are rules that the police have to follow on official servers. I want to know what people think those rules are/should be, specifically in regards to corruption.

If a cop chooses to be corrupt in any manner they should get suspended as a cop in real life but  have their houses taken away temporarily and downgrade to living like a really poor person would for about a week of gameplay; loose their house or apartment they currently own and live in a shelter, go to soup kitchens and take the train or bus to work for a certain amount of time and then get their stuff back.  Is that maybe possible to do? That would be a cool punishment?  I should be a game developer lol :)

If a cop chooses to be corrupt then taking away their house isn't a fitting punishment imo. Fire them from the force, lock them up for the crimes they committed, do not allow them to purchase guns in the near future like you would any felon, take their bank accounts for said conduct, if they are living in a penthouse take that too because chances are it was bought with foul money. Put them in a studio (where I live lmao) or put them on the streets. Severely limit their game play for X amount of time. Just my 2 cents on the subject. 

On 1/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, uncannierlink said:

They never said ban, theres things in place that will demote or fire you from your job

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 2:24 AM, killerkate888 said:

If a cop chooses to be corrupt in any manner they should get suspended as a cop in real life but  have their houses taken away temporarily and downgrade to living like a really poor person would for about a week of gameplay; loose their house or apartment they currently own and live in a shelter, go to soup kitchens and take the train or bus to work for a certain amount of time and then get their stuff back.  Is that maybe possible to do? That would be a cool punishment?  I should be a game developer lol :)

Um no, no, no, and no.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

On 1/27/2018 at 2:24 AM, killerkate888 said:

Yeah definitely don't be a game developer. That isn't fun. Games have to be fun.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

On 1/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, Danthecancerman said:

The History of Hell:

• Most die
  • Normal citizens leave.

obviously cops in a face to face all out situation are going to outdo/outgear criminals most of the time unless its a sweaty 15 man gang, in which case more cops thrown at them should do it better

gangs banding together just won't happen, never seen it happen anywhere in any game ever, especially since people need to disconnect to breathe fresh air and eat food so the "takeover" shit will last for an hour or two

On 1/31/2018 at 9:43 PM, Vinnie_Schmittburg said:

obviously cops in a face to face all out situation are going to outdo/outgear criminals most of the time unless its a sweaty 15 man gang, in which case more cops thrown at them should do it better

gangs banding together just won't happen, never seen it happen anywhere in any game ever, especially since people need to disconnect to breathe fresh air and eat food so the "takeover" shit will last for an hour or two

No. It happens all the time. Players either quit the server because one gang dominates them, or join the gang that is dominating. Thats how it happens ALL THE TIME IN SANDBOX MMOs.

17 hours ago, uncannierlink said:

No. It happens all the time. Players either quit the server because one gang dominates them, or join the gang that is dominating. Thats how it happens ALL THE TIME IN SANDBOX MMOs.

you're just talking about huge gangs, there will obviously be enough cops so idk how they're gonna takeover

huge gangs are a pain in the ass in all games, but just like in those games IE arma 3 life, when you end up killing one or getting in trouble they usually arn't organized to be right up on you immediately or be in groups of 10 at a time, if you're smart like in those games you should leave before the entire squad shows up

1 hour ago, Vinnie_Schmittburg said:

you're just talking about huge gangs, there will obviously be enough cops so idk how they're gonna takeover

huge gangs are a pain in the ass in all games, but just like in those games IE arma 3 life, when you end up killing one or getting in trouble they usually arn't organized to be right up on you immediately or be in groups of 10 at a time, if you're smart like in those games you should leave before the entire squad shows up

there won't be enough cops if the gangs take over everything and kos all the cops. Cops will stop playing because it's boring getting killed repeatedly by super powerful gangs.

Edited by uncannierlink

The Devs are smart enough to understand that corrupt cop is just another phrase for wanting to cheat the system in a game. No doubt they'll have them on private servers, but as always, it's gonna take a 100% selfless role player to portray one, and they are few and far between.

I personally think that corruption should be against the rules because if it's not it ruins the whole point of new players joining the police department that are looking for honest policing.