Sign in to follow this  
Nomis323

My one problem with Identity

DEATH!!!

This is where i have my issue with Identity. 

Death should really be a more serious issue. Dying  then respawning in a safe area with all your belongings apart from your wallet maybe doesn't seem to be the best solution.

What if you want a top politician killed for being to corrupt, or if you want to take a rival business owner out of the equation. 

From what I see at the moment there  us no way of doing that. 

Kill him, Rob his wallet then watch him respawn with all his wealth job and or business still there. 

And it's not as if it's easy to die anyway. There is always ten minutes for paramedics to get to you and save you.

And given that's it's going to be difficult for players to access deadly weaponry in the game. Players dying really shouldn't be a regular thing. So when it does happen. Consequences should be more severe for the deceased in my opinion. 

• Like 3

True, imo a player should lose everything he owns once he dies, and start over with a completely new character. That would solve it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SkinnierSteve said:

True, imo a player should lose everything he owns once he dies, and start over with a completely new character. That would solve it.

Then there would be the trolls who just kill you to make you mad or what if you die on accident and it was your fault that you died. I think it would be a cool feature but its a risky one. Me personally I hope they don't add this in the game sorry. :(

56 minutes ago, NickR said:

Then there would be the trolls who just kill you to make you mad or what if you die on accident and it was your fault that you died. I think it would be a cool feature but its a risky one. Me personally I hope they don't add this in the game sorry. :(

Yea but to my understanding it won't be that easy for players to kill another player. And as I said, you still have the chance of paramedics saving you. 

On your other point of players accidentally killing themselves. Well then it's there own fault and of course though, this will make players a lot more careful while playing when they have so much to lose. 

It will add to the realism that identity is looking for as well I imagine.?

• Like 3

At most, I hope that this becomes a private server option, as I would be interested in trying to play that way at times. However not for my main character that I wish to climb social ranks and earn prestige and respect of the community.

3 hours ago, Nomis323 said:

Yea but to my understanding it won't be that easy for players to kill another player. And as I said, you still have the chance of paramedics saving you. 

On your other point of players accidentally killing themselves. Well then it's there own fault and of course though, this will make players a lot more careful while playing when they have so much to lose. 

It will add to the realism that identity is looking for as well I imagine.?

What if you die because of lag? maybe you are driving and a lag spike makes you crash :/

30 minutes ago, VitoCiancimino said:

What if you die because of lag? maybe you are driving and a lag spike makes you crash :/

Then get better internet ?

Serious note though. That can be said about a lot of games. It isn't really a valid reason to not have it in this game though.

1 hour ago, Mr_Fisk said:

I wish to climb social ranks and earn prestige and respect of the community.

If you manage to climb social ranks and earn prestige. Would it not be a lot more rewarding to do so with just one life?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nomis323 said:

I was referring to this..how can you lose everything of your character by a lag spike which may happen to everybody, or maybe a blackout that makes you die while driving...

Of course paramedics may save you, but there is a chance that they wont...and even if it will be hard for a player to kill another, there are external things that can interfere..

Edited by VitoCiancimino

18 hours ago, Nomis323 said:

DEATH!!!

This is where i have my issue with Identity. 

Death should really be a more serious issue. Dying  then respawning in a safe area with all your belongings apart from your wallet maybe doesn't seem to be the best solution.

What if you want a top politician killed for being to corrupt, or if you want to take a rival business owner out of the equation. 

From what I see at the moment there  us no way of doing that. 

Kill him, Rob his wallet then watch him respawn with all his wealth job and or business still there. 

And it's not as if it's easy to die anyway. There is always ten minutes for paramedics to get to you and save you.

And given that's it's going to be difficult for players to access deadly weaponry in the game. Players dying really shouldn't be a regular thing. So when it does happen. Consequences should be more severe for the deceased in my opinion. 

It seems like your one problem might not be much of a problem after all. :)

In Identity, it's mostly just low influence (mostly cosmetic) items which cannot be lost. Things like your debit card, your clothing, and so on. Items which don't give you a strength but instead offer convenience. Most other things can indeed be lost.

If you die out in the woods because you thought you could fist fight a bear then you might not have lost much, as there's a good chance you could get back to that place before everything despawns. When someone else is around though, they can loot your corpse and take what's dropped.

This is mostly an issue of convenience, and we go for a balance of such versus risk. We fully understand that for life to be exciting, death has to be scary. At the same time, why make people go back to their closet and change their outfit over and over again?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Paratus said:

In Identity, it's mostly just low influence (mostly cosmetic) items which cannot be lost. Things like your debit card, your clothing, and so on. Items which don't give you a strength but instead offer convenience. Most other things can indeed be lost.

If you die out in the woods because you thought you could fist fight a bear then you might not have lost much, as there's a good chance you could get back to that place before everything despawns. When someone else is around though, they can loot your corpse and take what's dropped.

This is mostly an issue of convenience, and we go for a balance of such versus risk. We fully understand that for life to be exciting, death has to be scary. At the same time, why make people go back to their closet and change their outfit over and over again?

What kind of timer will there be for your stuff? Will maybe there be some timer you are aware of? Also wouldn't that brake immersion a little bit?(Not even sure how real you are planning to make this game.) Not sure how to handle that part but I have some ideas for where it goes when it despawns. Some examples:: I think in some ways it would be fun if you got a message or something how a bear or your stuff was thrown into the trash or something like that.(I do realize that type of idea is not realistic. Though in the real world you could check for tracks to see if something or someone did take said stuff that you dropped.) If someone didn't loot it and the timer ran out. Just to give it a bit of a role play reason for the despawn.   

I do realize there is a flaw in my idea. Since you would know if someone looted you before you got there.(Not sure if you want the player to know if you were looted from a player or not.) Since you wouldn't get the same message, or any message at all. I understand if this idea or train of thought is to complicated to implement and that is fine too. (Since when it comes to code it has to be figured out how to program this information. An that stuff can take time and resources that maybe you do not have.)   

Anyway I will like to see your plans on that despawn system.(Also would like to know how real you plan to go with this game.)  I also understand why it would be strange to take off normal clothing from a character. One fault that could be with even that is if it is a female character and, the person doing the looting is some guy. How would that work?  Not just with coding and programing it but, also if you want to make it more realistic I there would be problems doing that.(Since in real life the shirt and clothing wouldn't fit if you could even get it on. Of course this would depend on the size of the guy and girl but you get the idea.)  I will end it here.(If you made it this far well here is a cookie (?) )

5 hours ago, Paratus said:

Losing clothes and debit cards isn t really my issue to be honest. All that is easily replaceable and will give little or no affect to the player continuing the game, just the cost of replacing the clothes and such. 

I do understand that if someone spends months building up a character and then die and lose absolutely everything to the point that they have to completely restart the game, then this will be extremely frustrating, even to the point that some players won't bother playing again. We don't want this. 

I still think death should be more punishable. 

Even if it's not a complete restart,but it should have a serious impact on there life. Maybe a considerable amount of there wealth should be taken from them. Or even there job should be affected. Losing a rank in there current field of work so they are forced to work there way back up the ladder...

• Like 1