Notic3

What is the difference? Honestly..

"Announcing the release date this month" ... no offense but this has been "announced" multiple times and just delayed. Not to mention release dates are, most of the time, estimates... Now all I see is false hype being created by people who have yet to understand  there is barely anything to do in this module. 

Really makes me worry for the game's development process. 

Edited by Notic3
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Notic3 said:

"Announcing the release date this month" ... no offense but this has been "announced" multiple times and just delayed. Not to mention release dates are, most of the time, estimates... Now all I see is false hype being created by people who have yet to understand  there is barely anything to do in this module. 

I'm amazed there are still some people who still think this way... Dive a little more into this forum's life, and you'll see that the dev process is as alive as ever and that you should be awaiting the release date more than saying "yeah I've heard that before". Their whole schedule is based on approximations, as the dev process goes on following its own pace. Me personally, I'm happier with an honest game dev schedule than with one that is too strict, and doesn't allow flexibility.

• Like 4

"there is barely anything to do in this module. "

When compared to what the full game will be like, correct. However, module 1 is our first look at the game and its probably the most important out of the 3. People don't like what they see in M1? They probably wont return for this game again, so it's kind of make or break for the development team.

(This is my view on it, I'm not trying to state facts)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RenegadeNine said:

"there is barely anything to do in this module. "

When compared to what the full game will be like, correct. However, module 1 is our first look at the game and its probably the most important out of the 3. People don't like what they see in M1? They probably wont return for this game again, so it's kind of make or break for the development team.

(This is my view on it, I'm not trying to state facts)

Yeah, that basically is the use of an alpha version :)

As a gamer with professional experience in product management, and having worked on a life server in the past, I find it interesting how every new game gets the "It's never going to happen" treatment. 

Regarding your worries about the development process, if you have never worked in software development or ever had a go at setting up your own altis life server, I encourage you to try it!

What you will find is a never ending list of things to implement, bugfix and balance. I worked at it in a team of 3 and you very quickly realize the amount of time it requires to make a product people want to play. I spent many many days working 14 hrs or more on the project. Then I would hop on to an Asylum server and see they added 10 different things and balanced this or that, all on a network of servers to cater to 400 people at a time. Its impressive.

Now completely change game engines, learn what its limitations are, change development languages, and all the new math you need to figure out AND get it to work together nicely together with everything else without so much as mistyping a single semicolon. It takes even more time. 

Honestly the little bit of video and media they have presented seems impressive to me. 

As far as people get concerned with a lack of constant updates,  my best guess is they are too busy working on the backend(as they stated + videos of lines of code aren't as sexy as a pile of drugs and guns) and having to balance that with a need as a company to manage their public relations and put their best foot forward. It all takes time. 

On the business side, they just hired more people on, rented an office. As someone who has run a company making first to market products, these steps by Asylum certainly DO NOT scream to me, scam artists!  What it does seem like, is they are pushing FULL forward to making the game they, and others could see that altis life could be.

And as far as the release date for the alpha goes, yea it's hype by them, but they definitely need those that support it to tell their friends and raise more cash $$$.  Someone might say, but they raised "800k-1million dollars!" I can't say for Canada, but in most of the US, every employee a company adds, their payroll costs the company like 15-18% more than what you see at face value. So if they now have 10 employees(idk) they might have this year covered but I'm sure they still need more.  That's not forgetting, but not getting,into the interpersonal dynamics of running an efficient team while keeping them motivated and on task.

Making ANY new product takes a lot of time and balls. Maybe some have done it faster and more that you never hear about quit, not every game is developed by a 1 man wonder, sometimes it's just regular people with passion for an idea. 

Asylum didn't let me down as a casual on their Arma servers and with the 10 Oct update I don't have any reason to believe why they would now. 

Edited by Caustic_
Spelling
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, Caustic_ said:

As a gamer with professional experience in product management, and having worked on a life server in the past, I find it interesting how every new game gets the "It's never going to happen" treatment. 

Regarding your worries about the development process, if you have never worked in software development or ever had a go at setting up your own altis life server, I encourage you to try it!

What you will find is a never ending list of things to implement, bugfix and balance. I worked at it in a team of 3 and you very quickly realize the amount of time it requires to make a product people want to play. I spent many many days working 14 hrs or more on the project. Then I would hop on to an Asylum server and see they added 10 different things and balanced this or that, all on a network of servers to cater to 400 people at a time. Its impressive.

Now completely change game engines, learn what its limitations are, change development languages, and all the new math you need to figure out AND get it to work together nicely together with everything else without so much as mistyping a single semicolon. It takes even more time. 

Honestly the little bit of video and media they have presented seems impressive to me. 

As far as people get concerned with a lack of constant updates,  my best guess is they are too busy working on the backend(as they stated + videos of lines of code aren't as sexy as a pile of drugs and guns) and having to balance that with a need as a company to manage their public relations and put their best foot forward. It all takes time. 

On the business side, they just hired more people on, rented an office. As someone who has run a company making first to market products, these steps by Asylum certainly DO NOT scream to me, scam artists!  What it does seem like, is they are pushing FULL forward to making the game they, and others could see that altis life could be.

And as far as the release date for the alpha goes, yea it's hype by them, but they definitely need those that support it to tell their friends and raise more cash $$$.  Someone might say, but they raised "800k-1million dollars!" I can't say for Canada, but in most of the US, every employee a company adds, their payroll costs the company like 15-18% more than what you see at face value. So if they now have 10 employees(idk) they might have this year covered but I'm sure they still need more.  That's not forgetting, but not getting,into the interpersonal dynamics of running an efficient team while keeping them motivated and on task.

Making ANY new product takes a lot of time and balls. Maybe some have done it faster and more that you never hear about quit, not every game is developed by a 1 man wonder, sometimes it's just regular people with passion for an idea. 

Asylum didn't let me down as a casual on their Arma servers and with the 10 Oct update I don't have any reason to believe why they would now. 

Amen! *Drops mic*

19 hours ago, Notic3 said:

I mean i agree but...you knew what youd get back for saying this didnt you?

Never claimed this game won't happen. Just want to see what people think is so special about this "release date anouncement".... There have been plenty of "release dates" mentioned. So why is this one so special? I'm glad to see how people are so sensitive on this forum they come to conclusions so fast without reading.

P.S. -

What I said about people overhyping this release, is people are forgetting that this is a SOCIAL module, which will be VERY basic in terms of gameplay. I am just very worried and stated my opinion on the development process. I didn't even imply that I think this game isn't going to happen. Uninstall that term from your hardcore fanboy heads, because I believe this game will happen and will be great, but alas, only the future can tell.

• Like 3