sp00f_IOM

How will we download the game, and will it be synced with Steam?

I understand that the Town Square Module has not been released yet, but how will someone download the game in order to play the Beta (assuming you have the Founder Package) once the Town Square module comes out? I hear that the full game will be linked to Steam, however I don't know if the game will be linked to Steam while in Beta. I was just wondering as I don't know how we can link the www.identityrpg.com account with the steam account, so that I don't have any complications later when trying to download the game. Otherwise anybody could claim that they have bought it on their Identity online account, and say that they need it on steam.

Many Thanks in advance for any responses. =D

Many Thanks,

sp00f

Edited by sp00f_IOM
  • Like 2

It will most likely be like Black Desert Online, Where Steam and website owners can play together however only download the client from the place they purchased it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sp00f_IOM said:

I understand that the Town Square Module has not been released yet, but how will someone download the game in order to play the Beta (assuming you have the Founder Package) once the Town Square module comes out? I hear that the full game will be linked to Steam, however I don't know if the game will be linked to Steam while in Beta. I was just wondering as I don't know how we can link the www.identityrpg.com account with the steam account, so that I don't have any complications later when trying to download the game. Otherwise anybody could claim that they have bought it on their Identity online account, and say that they need it on steam.

Many Thanks,

sp00f

To download the modules and the Beta, it won't be synced with steam, they will be downloaded from this site and launched through a client. At full release, steam keys will be given out but nothing before the full release will be synced with steam.

If the person has not pledged on the website then they won't be able to claim they have bought it, the devs know who has pledged for the game as the email on the store account is how the steam keys get given out. If they don't have a email with a pledge on here then they cannot gain anything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LuckyDuck said:

To download the modules and the Beta, it won't be synced with steam, they will be downloaded from this site and launched through a client. At full release, steam keys will be given out but nothing before the full release will be synced with steam.

If the person has not pledged on the website then they won't be able to claim they have bought it, the devs know who has pledged for the game as the email on the store account is how the steam keys get given out. If they don't have a email with a pledge on here then they cannot gain anything.

Question at launch will it be needed to use steam? Like if I will have a option not to use steam? Or is it a must?

21 minutes ago, Xzothi said:

Question at launch will it be needed to use steam? Like if I will have a option not to use steam? Or is it a must?

I believe there might not be a need to use steam, I am certain they won't force it upon you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beta will be done solely through www.identityrpg.com and once it is fully released all who pledged will receive a steam key so that they get the game and any additional content?

Many Thanks,

sp00f

P.S. I apologize if this thread (I believe you call it) is dragging on too much, as I will not ask anymore questions.

Edited by sp00f_IOM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LuckyDuck said:

I believe there might not be a need to use steam, I am certain they won't force it upon you.

I hope so because honestly. I just rather game with out steam. I like to have my games separate and, I like having games on different launchers.  Not that I hate steam or anything I just do not want every game I play there. I know I am odd here for my reasons. 

Edited by Xzothi

56 minutes ago, sp00f_IOM said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beta will be done solely through www.identityrpg.com and once it is fully released all who pledged will receive a steam key so that they get the game and any additional content?

Many Thanks,

sp00f

P.S. I apologize if this thread (I believe you call it) is dragging on too much, as I will not ask anymore questions.

As far as I know, yes. The Beta and Modules will be through this website and you will get to possibly choose if you want the game on steam. 

I believe Steam will be mandatory and for this reason: if you choose to download the client another way, and you still get your Steam key, what's stopping you from giving it away to another person? Unless you need to download via Steam (hence activating your key first) and then you might have the option to run the game without running Steam. But if Steam is not mandatory at all, so not for client download or installation, then a lot of people are going to give their Steam keys away and download the client from the official website.

Unless I'm overlooking something else. But we'll see. Nothing is certain at this point.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, Genesai said:

I believe Steam will be mandatory and for this reason: if you choose to download the client another way, and you still get your Steam key, what's stopping you from giving it away to another person? Unless you need to download via Steam (hence activating your key first) and then you might have the option to run the game without running Steam. But if Steam is not mandatory at all, so not for client download or installation, then a lot of people are going to give their Steam keys away and download the client from the official website.

Unless I'm overlooking something else. But we'll see. Nothing is certain at this point.

They could ask you what version you want and not let you download until answer. If want the steam version you get the steam version but use the site version. So basically you get a key depending which version you want. Depending how they do it you could download the non Steam version but with out a key it will not run and you will not be able to log into it. They could also do it like how some games give you the option but once you pick you can't pick the other and can't download the other with out paying again. Like Steam DRM version or Non Steam DRM free. How would you pick you ask? On the site on your account.

One issue that is not mentioned that will need to be addressed more so at launch. Is will they want to even send a client out to download from there site? Since they would need to host said file and bandwidth space for that file to send it.(At least from how I understand it.) You also have to make sure the file does not corrupt or just not work if to many people try to download it. It is easier with the modules since they are likely going to be much smaller size then the game will be at launch. 

Sure they could send it over to some other site to host the files. That are just linked into this site. They would need to make it account based for that option to work. As in you download it but unless you already got a account that has payed for the game then it will not work. Now they would also need to make sure not more then one person can log into the same account. Why does that matter? Well it matters because someone could download and use the client version here as someone else has the steam version on there computer and play it there.  How to fix this? Well some software company's got this factored in by needing to activate and deactivate for each computer. Like a seat system. It is what Marvelous Designer, ShaderMap(payed version),ZBrush, just to name a few.(For a bonus mention Shade 3D may also but I am not sure.)

So there are options they could do so there will not be a issue.(As long as they are willing too and can afford it of course.)

Edited by Xzothi

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, LuckyDuck said:

I hope not. I don't like using Steam for anything.

Guys, the reason why it won't be mandatory is because you will need to log in to your store account (which is the game account) on the launcher. e.g. like when you launch Rainbow six siege through steam, it signs in to the Uplay launcher as otherwise you cannot play it.

16 hours ago, LuckyDuck said:

Guys, the reason why it won't be mandatory is because you will need to log in to your store account (which is the game account) on the launcher. e.g. like when you launch Rainbow six siege through steam, it signs in to the Uplay launcher as otherwise you cannot play it.

Thanks for explaining with way it is planning to be done.  Will it be free to download on steam but just need a payed account to work? Or is it more of you buy any version it does not matter where it is downloaded? As in if you bought it on steam you can go to the site sign in and download there if you want. Because you already bought it. Or it is also tied to where you bought it?

Like even with the Uplay example you can't download it from Uplay until you get your Uplay account tied to your steam. Then you can download either place. 

5 hours ago, Xzothi said:

Thanks for explaining with way it is planning to be done.  Will it be free to download on steam but just need a payed account to work? Or is it more of you buy any version it does not matter where it is downloaded? As in if you bought it on steam you can go to the site sign in and download there if you want. Because you already bought it. Or it is also tied to where you bought it?

No it won't be free to download... It likely could be how Uplay has it, as you mentioned