Villasenor

Server quantity

Instead of having multiple servers with fewer players can we have fewer servers with way more players? Would this be possbile? 
Benefits: More realism to population. Will add more RP and more fun in general.

Our servers can hold an immense number of players. It's going to come down to play-testing internally; servers will be limited based on population density which we believe is ideal for the gameplay. So, it's too early to say, but we have the ability to have enormous servers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paratus said:

Our servers can hold an immense number of players. It's going to come down to play-testing internally; servers will be limited based on population density which we believe is ideal for the gameplay. So, it's too early to say, but we have the ability to have enormous servers.

Hopefully, everything goes well! Best of luck to the whole team! @Paratus also what is enormous in your eyes? 300 plus?

Edited by Villasenor

1 hour ago, Villasenor said:

Hopefully, everything goes well! Best of luck to the whole team! @Paratus also what is enormous in your eyes? 300 plus?

ive read numbers of 1000 per server, but yea paratus could better answer

300. 1000. 3000. 5000. It doesn't matter to me. 1000 players sounds about right. The big map needs to feel that it is populated by a lot of citizens/300 bikers etc...

3 hours ago, JessicaMadisyn said:

300. 1000. 3000. 5000. It doesn't matter to me. 1000 players sounds about right. The big map needs to feel that it is populated by a lot of citizens/300 bikers etc...

The point where ingame chat becomes useless.

If we compare it to the GTA V map, it's about the same size, I guess. In Identity, it will take 1½ hour to walk across the map, I guess it's about the same in GTA V. In GTA Online, the maximum is 30 players. I felt, when I played GTA, that a server with 30 players is a lot, because they could spread out on the map, so there would be activity all around the map. Already on a Identity server with 300 players will make the server alive, and there will be activity everywhere, but if we could reach 1000, that would be incredible. Mind blowing actually.

Edited by MikaFromDenmark

11 hours ago, Villasenor said:

The 300 player count is most likely going to be their minimum. But they're most likely going to go over their minimum. The player count is still being discussed by their development team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fanature said:

The 300 player count is most likely going to be their minimum. But they're most likely going to go over their minimum. The player count is still being discussed by their development team. 

Excactly. They have already mentioned, that their server-minimum will be 300 players. But what I think they will, is try getting it as high as possible, without overload the servers.

9 minutes ago, MikaFromDenmark said:

Excactly. They have already mentioned, that their server-minimum will be 300 players. But what I think they will, is try getting it as high as possible, without overload the servers.

Yes. They've mentioned in a few of their development streams that the player count is most definitely going to fit a few hundred. What they don't want is having thousands of players in one server in one specific location. Let's say there is a very famous YouTuber/Streamer that's currently playing the game and thousands of players join the server just to meet them. It would just be chaotic and immersive. Basically they want to prevent all the players visiting the exact same location at the exact same time. Example: Many (thousands) of players in WoW meet up in the exact same location just for trading and sparring. If that makes sense? 

Edited by Fanature

5 minutes ago, Fanature said:

Yes. They've mentioned in a few of their development streams that the player count is most definitely going to fit a few hundred. What they don't want is having thousands of players in one server in one specific location. Let's say there is a very famous YouTuber/Streamer that's currently playing the game and thousands of players join the server just to meet them. It would just be chaotic and immersive. Basically they want to prevent all the players visiting the exact same location at the exact same time. Example: Many (thousands) of players in WoW meet up in the exact same location just for trading and sparring. 

Well, that could be chaotic, yeah. But I'm not sure, if there's going to be a map where you can see players, like in GTA. It would be great if there wasn't a map, but you have to use a map on your phone or computer to see where you are, or where you would like to head, and then use your GPS to get there, this would prevent the whole server to see where there's a bunch of players.

to be honest 300 players on a server should be about max for people, if you or other people do not run a perfect and super fast connection, theirs gonna be problems unless identity finds a work around for this 300 -500 especially on a map size like this, will be pretty full and have its pro's and con's, but 1,000 people on one server, that will be crazy, and I'm not meaning just oh god so many people, i'm meaning so many people server don't know what the F to do. but anyways yeah lets just see what they got and how its gonna turn out still loving it still waiting for the first module, and still waiting to create a character <3, huge amount of players is not my greatest concern yes getting online is going to be when it first comes out because its just gonna be huge amount of players, what about 16,644 if i'm correct, first launch servers might crash and boom cant play for another few hours, so hopefully its all good to go and ready for when it comes out.

Edited by RosaRoundBottom
Messed Something Up o3o

31 minutes ago, RosaRoundBottom said:

to be honest 300 players on a server should be about max for people, if you or other people do not run a perfect and super fast connection, theirs gonna be problems unless identity finds a work around for this 300 -500 especially on a map size like this, will be pretty full and have its pro's and con's, but 1,000 people on one server, that will be crazy, and I'm not meaning just oh god so many people, i'm meaning so many people server don't know what the F to do. but anyways yeah lets just see what they got and how its gonna turn out still loving it still waiting for the first module, and still waiting to create a character <3, huge amount of players is not my greatest concern yes getting online is going to be when it first comes out because its just gonna be huge amount of players, what about 16,644 if i'm correct, first launch servers might crash and boom cant play for another few hours, so hopefully its all good to go and ready for when it comes out.

As @Paratus wrote as the second reply - which they also have mentioned on their streams - they have the ability to create quite big servers, so I guess they already have a solution for the internet problems.

I will cry and die inside, but these guys are not Ubisoft, these guys I think and hope they know what they are doing, not confused staring at a bunch of boxes and wires wondering where the problem is at or going to be x3