Sjondefries

Are you losing interest in the Town Square module?

Are you losing interest in the Town Square module?   174 members have voted

1. 1. Are you losing interest in the Town Square module?

• Yes, I already lost it a while ago.
    • No, I am still very interested in the 1st module.
    • Yes, I am slowly losing interest because it is taking very long and they dont tell us enough.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Paratus said:

You can most definitely influence development. We keep a close eye on this, and also converse with fans almost daily in streams. That said, releasing a video or screenshot carries more weight than that. Unfortunately, it's human nature to expect certain things even when you know it's in development. Most people, although maybe not yourself, put a lot of weight on first-impressions. If we show something lackluster because it's still being built not everyone will understand that.

That said, you'll be seeing a lot of it very soon.

I think 99% of the people on here understand it's not even in Alpha so any bugs or any placeholders won't matter too much. Just screen shots would be cool.

Honestly I think you're doing more harm than good by not showing or releasing it. Even though your intentions are correct. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, DadOfMad said:

just wish there were dev blogs

They release them monthly and it has not been a month since the last one yet.

1 person likes this

i'm waiting too, and its eating me up because I wanna just get on and actually try this game, but actually these guys are right, in a lot of games somethings that was broken did ruin it for me, but I actually know identity is better then this and falling threw the floor or something would not matter to me, basically what I want to do is actually get to at least do a full avatar creation too check that out, and that could be one of the main reasons y its not out yet, not everything is don't some scripts could still be conflicting, I mean their are bugs that make games even better like infestation, I will play that just to headshot zombies and get a good laugh at the bodys just flying threw the sky, so i'm on both ends I want to play It now, but also I don't want to rush and them mess or completely forget something and it ruin a lot of peoples interest in wanting the game in the end us probably losing it all together.

I have been waiting a long time as well. But most of you are not game developers, there for you wouldn't know the whole concept of what it takes to create a game, especially as detailed as Identity is claiming to be. Yes, I want it now, But I also don't want a piece of crap game like EmergeNYC. EmergeNYC releases too many updates and screenshots  to the point that nothing gets done in the game. For these game dev's to take screenshots, do live streams, read forums, all of that takes time, in which they could be further developing this game. I understand why they are keeping it quiet. I understand that when they post things, its taking time away from development. Guys we need to be patient, with these game dev's because they are working as hard as they can to impress us, and deliver something amazing to the public. So when you complain about how long it is taking, and that you want screenshots, or information. You are taking their attention away from Game Development to assist your needs.

Lets be patient and get along with the Developers and Stop Giving Them A HARD Time!!!!!
We are here for the same reason, so please stop bitching!!
Thanks!

1 person likes this

They did the good ol' mistake of miscalculating how long it would take to make the module. It really is a shame to let down so many people :/

1 person likes this

On 10.7.2017 at 8:57 PM, Paratus said:

You can most definitely influence development. We keep a close eye on this, and also converse with fans almost daily in streams. That said, releasing a video or screenshot carries more weight than that. Unfortunately, it's human nature to expect certain things even when you know it's in development. Most people, although maybe not yourself, put a lot of weight on first-impressions. If we show something lackluster because it's still being built not everyone will understand that.

That said, you'll be seeing a lot of it very soon.

At witch point is verry soon? I have been wainting since the kickstarter were done, and there you put the estimat to december 2016 now its july 2017 so how can i feel safe that the module will ever come?

I'm soon thinking i will pull my pledge and get my money bac cuz i have spent $100 on you and feel like this is soon getting in to a hussle and it's now soon coming a game like this started AFTER you abd the beta is in one week....

So what makes you slow and them faster with even less money to use on devs? I feel like something is not quite right here... Give us some propper details we can go with and not very soon....

1 person likes this

last i checked we were supposed to get a video on gun play which we still haven't gotten, the social module has been pushed back indefinitley though i can understand the devs not giving a specific release date, i have high hopes for this game but frankly people are going to stop caring and although i understand the fact the devs are full time workers as is currently, again they are now getting funding from a big proper company and should have things done more easily even if not necessarily faster

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Preston_bodhi_343 said:

last i checked we were supposed to get a video on gun play which we still haven't gotten, the social module has been pushed back indefinitley though i can understand the devs not giving a specific release date, i have high hopes for this game but frankly people are going to stop caring and although i understand the fact the devs are full time workers as is currently, again they are now getting funding from a big proper company and should have things done more easily even if not necessarily faster

the video and website are about to drop.
a little birdie told me there are new hoops to jump threw for said big proper company.

we need to remember not all devs are working on ts, 1 or 2 atm.... everyone else is working on the other modules and full game.

1 person likes this

Personally I'm generally ok with waiting, but i would like to be informed regularly with updates so at least we know there is progress. I don't think communication once a month is enough and by that I mean just more interaction with the community, like coming on here and giving us some nice new pics and screenshots to look at. 

I think the majority of us who have pledged are really looking forward to the game but I can see people's frustration when they don't hear anything for a while.

1 person likes this

I'm very faithful in this game and I believe it will succeed in the goals it has set accomplish. It is very understandable why this first module is taking so long. Game development is not an easy job and it can be especially hard for a small team to accomplish something of this size. However I cant imagine why it is being delayed so badly, Is there gonna be A.I or something we don't know about that is taking so long? Was there a difficulty in the development that is slowing it down? The game has been in development so long that you just gotta give us a bit of a peek at what the game world is so far. The game needs to look nice for it's first introduction to the public, but don't go too overkill on solidifying what placeholders there are in the module currently.

Nothing needs to be perfect when the town square is released. it is just that you (the devs) need to keep this community going until release by giving us some kind of  detail about what is happening.

Today's stream they said they are finishing up the interiors on one building and re doing the customization system and then town square will be basically good to go. And a new combat vid coming up, all it needs is a couple more animations finished.

30 minutes ago, Discorded said:

Today's stream they said they are finishing up the interiors on one building and re doing the customization system and then town square will be basically good to go. And a new combat vid coming up, all it needs is a couple more animations finished.

I don't believe in the game one bit after seeing how they can't even push out a simple Module on time. I don't even wanna think about how long the next module is gonna take....

6 hours ago, Kellog said:

I don't believe in the game one bit after seeing how they can't even push out a simple Module on time. I don't even wanna think about how long the next module is gonna take....

its not like they have only been working on ts, they have been very focused on the other modules and full game for sometime now. in all actuality ts has been done for like over a year, they had a couple devs go back in and started re-rendering and adding things to ts to give us superior quality.
it wont take very long for the other modules once ts drops.
my theory is that ts is done but they are waiting to complete swat be4 releasing it.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, DadOfMad said:

its not like they have only been working on ts, they have been very focused on the other modules and full game for sometime now. in all actuality ts has been done for like over a year, they had a couple devs go back in and started re-rendering and adding things to ts to give us superior quality.
it wont take very long for the other modules once ts drops.
my theory is that ts is done but they are waiting to complete swat be4 releasing it.

Don't think that's true sorry man, Gotta see it to believe it.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

there's 2 types of developers out there. the first is the ones that do everything in secrecy and want a big " reveal" and surprise everyone, but im losing interest fast from that from all the delays and waiting..

the second is developers like ashes of creation, who just finished their kickstarter and releases video updates almost weekly with awesome progress and content and i can not wait to fucking play that.wanna know what one has an easier time keeping my attention? the one where they update the future players.

EDIT: sorry theres 3, then we have fucking Dean hall. but i wont go there.

Edited by Frostybeans

Unfortunately, we don't have a dedicated PR guy, or even a dedicated community manager at this time. I am, however, looking around to hire one as we speak. Given our budget all resources are currently tied up in development. As our budget expands, so too will the team.

As I mention on the stream last night, Town Square requires a lot more development time than most modules. Town Square has the backend systems for the game itself. Character creation and customization, social features, and so on. All of the core elements of the game were created in the first while, which is why it seems to be taking long. However, in the grand scheme of things we're quite well advanced given the size of our team and the fact that the core elements of the game are coming in place; not only for town square, but for Identity as a whole.

25 minutes ago, Frostybeans said:

the second is developers like ashes of creation, who just finished their kickstarter and releases video updates almost weekly

The game in question raised over $3m initially on Kickstarter in addition to already having a multi-million dollar budget going into Kickstarter, which is far different from where our budget lies. It'd be a whole lot easier to do so if our initial team were over 10 times as large. :) 

7 people like this

7 minutes ago, Paratus said:

Unfortunately, we don't have a dedicated PR guy, or even a dedicated community manager at this time. I am, however, looking around to hire one as we speak. Given our budget all resources are currently tied up in development. As our budget expands, so too will the team.

As I mention on the stream last night, Town Square requires a lot more development time than most modules. Town Square has the backend systems for the game itself. Character creation and customization, social features, and so on. All of the core elements of the game were created in the first while, which is why it seems to be taking long. However, in the grand scheme of things we're quite well advanced given the size of our team and the fact that the core elements of the game are coming in place; not only for town square, but for Identity as a whole.

The game in question raised over $3m initially, which is far different from where our budget lies. It'd be a whole lot easier to do so if our initial team were over 10 times as large. :) 

you get a PR guy and you'll have people running back like its Jesus's second coming. and they did amazingly well during their kickstarter, facebook adds, youtube videos almost daily, they knew how to sell to get the dollar amount they needed. im just happy they kept that up afterwards and didn't go silent, just dont turn into Dean Hall please!

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Paratus said:

The game in question raised over $3m initially on Kickstarter in addition to already having a multi-million dollar budget going into Kickstarter, which is far different from where our budget lies. It'd be a whole lot easier to do so if our initial team were over 10 times as large. :) 

I would love to get in touch with you about the PR position. I love the idea of this game and i would hate to see it die out because of devblogs not being posted regularly. 

I'm not losing interest but I would like to see more updates. The game will be a success for sure when it comes out!

1 person likes this

i'm still super hyped i'm still waiting to see, and play I cant wait too and like i'm glad now I let it fly over my head that the first module would be the main one, my idiot self was like oh a little town square some customizations blah blah blah, then you explain it and its like well... I am an idiot xD

I wasn't losing interest, but after seeing how restless people have become over not having the game right at this minute, I started up a roleplay thread to help keep folks busy-minded with their would-be characters. As a long-time gamer and tabletop storyteller, it isn't easy to come up with a simple storyline, much less a game that allows the flexibility for many, by far. In my opinion, everyone needs to relax. It takes a long time to create a game that runs smoothly, and I am certain that if people were to get the game in the current state, the devs would be overrun with complaints and rage at how it isn't perfected and how error'd up it is.

..which is why they need time to work on it, because no one in their right mind should rush perfection. :) Be fair, these are human beings working on a technologically complex project, however god-like their CGI prowess may be. ;)

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Preston_bodhi_343 said:

who is dean hall and what's the big uproar about him over?

I'll give the short version, he's the creator of Dayz back when it was a mod and producer on the standalone. The game came out on early access, the game was hyped but died later in the years after being in EA and having bugs for days. On 2014 he left bohemia to create his own studio , he basically left what he started. Fans got mad. 

Basically they don't want another dean hall incident happening here with this game.

Edited by PrinceChawmin
Grammer
2 people like this

On 10/07/2017 at 10:00 PM, Paratus said:

We haven't shown much of the Town Square module yet only because we're making things look right. Everything is functional, but that doesn't mean the interface looks good or functionality is smooth. In game development we get the feature functioning properly first, with placeholders, and then work everything together until it's what you'd see in a finished game.

Take buying food in the bar, for example. Right now there's an apple on the table which you can use to bring up the ordering menu. That's supposed to be a restaurant menu that you use, and the interaction UI isn't quite right either. It works and functions as it should, but the interface for doing so is ugly due to some art not yet being in place.

That said, we're going to show you real gameplay footage soon and following that you'll get a lot of Town Square media. The core features are about ready to be shown at this point.

I just recently received a backer exclusive email detailing progress with some screenshots, which considerably spiked up my fading interest. I'd love to fund the game more and so would several other backers provided we can see even a little progress. I completely understand that you want everything to be perfect and smooth for your demo, but let me please point out that this level of perfection is only necessary for the alpha module releases.

The iconic demo of the first iPhone that revolutionized the mobile platform was so buggy that Jobs had to do a certain set of tasks in order for the phone not to crash. More on it here: http://gizmodo.com/the-iphones-first-demo-was-buggy-as-hell-1441324523

I'm pretty sure the Identity team is well aware of the buzz and flurry of funds that poured in on the release of the apartment video. The same can be achieved with another "Golden Path" demo which can bring in a ton load of funds and backers that'll actually help bring the game to reality. The scope of the project is so huge, let's be practical here. Without enough resources, with just a small team of devs working, it's never going to be completed. To bring it anywhere near completion the team will definitely need more resources and manpower, multiple concept artists, multiple level designers, multiple programmers and so on to pool in their work and build something great together. Since this is a game that's reaching far above the scope of a normal AAA title.

I hope you'd heed this and raise more funds by releasing a demo soon. Once you've raised funds, please hire as much people as you can. Let's hope this will be the next revolution in the MMO gaming industry and show them how it's actually done.