Question

Hello!

So, I'm a passionate gamer and i have been playing games all my life. I have taken a large interest into the workings of games and such have gotten into modding (ethically. Aint standing for no cheaters here!) and hosting.

So I guess my question is: Are players going to be able to host their own dedicated servers? And on top of that if there is, will they be able to run custom code on the servers for example admin mods etc?

I have plenty of suggestions and questions on this topic! Hmu with a comment :D

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, darkislight said:

Hello!

So, I'm a passionate gamer and i have been playing games all my life. I have taken a large interest into the workings of games and such have gotten into modding (ethically. Aint standing for no cheaters here!) and hosting.

So I guess my question is: Are players going to be able to host their own dedicated servers? And on top of that if there is, will they be able to run custom code on the servers for example admin mods etc?

I have plenty of suggestions and questions on this topic! Hmu with a comment :D

Hello @darkislight and welcome to the community,

players will not be able to host their own dedicated Server. Also there will be no mod support for the game.

The identity developers will chose hosting partners from all around the globe where you can rent a server. 

But you will be able to customize many server settings via a webinterface. As far as i know it will be very detailed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Radack said:

Hello @darkislight and welcome to the community,

players will not be able to host their own dedicated Server. Also there will be no mod support for the game.

The identity developers will chose hosting partners from all around the globe where you can rent a server. 

But you will be able to customize many server settings via a webinterface. As far as i know it will be very detailed. 

Thanks for the reply @Radack!

Firstly about the mods

Hmm that is a shame. Was very much looking forward to the possibilities of it.

Always considered mods to be a key factor in replay-ability. (Not saying their will be faults in the enjoyment of the game itself. Just suggestion that some users prefer to customise the games they play.)

However I am aware of how mod support creates a weakened security and provides benefits for hackers.

About the renting of the servers

Developers choosing hosting partners is fair enough. And I can imagine little ability for you to speculate on such prices, however that is not my concern.

What would be the incentive for renting such servers?

I'm assuming that identity itself will have it's own servers which would have linked player-data much like DAYZ servers. Would these servers you can rent be separate from this?

1 hour ago, darkislight said:

Thanks for the reply @Radack!

Firstly about the mods

Hmm that is a shame. Was very much looking forward to the possibilities of it.

Always considered mods to be a key factor in replay-ability. (Not saying their will be faults in the enjoyment of the game itself. Just suggestion that some users prefer to customise the games they play.)

However I am aware of how mod support creates a weakened security and provides benefits for hackers.

About the renting of the servers

Developers choosing hosting partners is fair enough. And I can imagine little ability for you to speculate on such prices, however that is not my concern.

What would be the incentive for renting such servers?

I'm assuming that identity itself will have it's own servers which would have linked player-data much like DAYZ servers. Would these servers you can rent be separate from this?

Hey there, to answer your latest question; The rented servers will be separate and controlled by you if you decide to rent one. You will be able to control lots of things via the CPanel like @Radack said above. The servers will be affordable (whatever affordable is). The server providers are select hosts yes and no LAN will be available. Mods are not on the plans for the game but the developers did say they want to look into it and how it could be done and that I suspect is not saying it is definitely going to be added.

With renting a server, you will be able to control everything and which the devs cannot control. You can white-list your server for example or add rules to make the server more strict on game play.

• Like 1