gorgoroth

how dark will this game get at night?

this just a random thought but just wondering how dark this game will get at night without lights, like being in the country or a forest at night, will it be dayz night dark where you basically cant see anything at night or will it be like gta where you can pretty much see anything.

id love to have the feature that if you crash or breakdown in the middle of nowhere in the patch black and the only light you have is from your headlights, the night sky and if you remembered a  torch, would add a really creepy atmosphere in game and help with the criminal side of things to hide in the dark.

• Like 1

So night gets very dark when you're away from city light sources, but we don't know yet how long the night will be.

Also- doubt there will be torches. Flashlights are more likely. :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vix said:

So night gets very dark when you're away from city light sources, but we don't know yet how long the night will be.

Also- doubt there will be torches. Flashlights are more likely. :)

thank you for clearing that up :)

I'd like to see it get pretty dark in the rural  areas, especially if people are roleplaying a survivalist type character or a farmer. Maybe this could be configurable by server owners?

I've found that eight hour cycles work best on these type of games, four hour days then four hour nights. This gives everyone a chance to experience day and nights across all time zones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan__ said:

I'd like to see it get pretty dark in the rural  areas, especially if people are roleplaying a survivalist type character or a farmer. Maybe this could be configurable by server owners?

I've found that eight hour cycles work best on these type of games, four hour days then four hour nights. This gives everyone a chance to experience day and nights across all time zones.

Then it's pitch black for 4 hours rendering people away from cities useless and any part of the map where there isn't a city obsolete 

31 minutes ago, Frenchy said:

Then it's pitch black for 4 hours rendering people away from cities useless and any part of the map where there isn't a city obsolete 

if it was closer to the 8 hour cycle then the devs said nights will be shorter than day so would probably closer to 5 or 6 hour day and 2 or 3 hour night, people with cars and houses wouldnt exactly be useless because they could spend night indoors or travel to a town but i get what you're saying and i think 4 hours would be too much for the people out the cities and towns but wouldnt like it too short either.

46 minutes ago, jcdock said:

This brings up the question, will there be NVG's in the game?

Would be cool to have night vision but I think they said in a twitter post M4s and AK47s are as far as they will go for military gear, but then again they were talking about guns

49 minutes ago, jcdock said:

This brings up the question, will there be NVG's in the game?

• Like 2

I hope it's really dark at night but you can also use your phone's screen brightness as a flashlight if you don't have an actual flashlight with you and there should be pupil dilation so say once you're out in pitch darkness for a long time you can see slightly better.

• Like 3

a torch flashlight would be cool too (2 lamps, 2 buttons, 1 button for the torch function, the other for the flashlight function).

hope throwing someone out of his personal vehicle will be implemented. would let someone get into my car just to throw him/her out in the countryside at night :D

19 hours ago, Frenchy said:

Flashlights, fires, lights inside of houses in the rural towns, car headlights. Plenty of options. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan__ said:

Flashlights, fires, lights inside of houses in the rural towns, car headlights. Plenty of options. 

Still, it's demoralizing being in darkness for so long 4 hours is definitely way too much

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frenchy said:

Still, it's demoralizing being in darkness for so long 4 hours is definitely way too much

That's down to the players personal opinion. Some players will enjoy it and others may not. If anything we should have a poll on the matter. 

Also, it wouldn't be four hours of complete darkness, the darkness would get gradually darker then lighter throughout the four hour night. 

Edited by Ryan__

2 minutes ago, Ryan__ said:

That's down to the players personal opinion. Some players will enjoy it and others may not. If anything we should have a poll on the matter. 

Going to start a thread then?

3 hours ago, Ryan__ said:

Also, it wouldn't be four hours of complete darkness, the darkness would get gradually darker then lighter throughout the four hour night. 

i think it should be down to who is running the server, some hardcore rp servers could choose to have night at real time night so maybe from 12am till around 6am of darkness then the non rp servers could have it more like gta time but thats just my opinion 

• Like 1

Hopefully the lights on the emergency vehicles will be quite powerful so people can see us at night :)

16 hours ago, gorgoroth said:

i think it should be down to who is running the server, some hardcore rp servers could choose to have night at real time night so maybe from 12am till around 6am of darkness then the non rp servers could have it more like gta time but thats just my opinion 

I would imagine there will be a setting in the server cfg to set that

7 hours ago, jcdock said:

I would imagine there will be a setting in the server cfg to set that

Correct. Official servers won't be too dark that you can't see only because it can impede gameplay. Nobody wants to sit still waiting for light when they have limited playtime. It will be dark, but not blindingly so.

That said, this is something we can give server owners the ability to control.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, KittyDeKarebu said:

gonna love pulling people over and turning the spotlight on at night.

pretending to be a police officer but actually a serial killer* xD 

But surely there will be street lights around the cities, on main roads going out of the cities and stuff, just lanes/ back roads not having the street lights like in real life.

22 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

But surely there will be street lights around the cities, on main roads going out of the cities and stuff, just lanes/ back roads not having the street lights like in real life.

Of course cities are full of light during night, but there are houses also out in the forest, the mountains, the swamp and more "away from society" places where having few hours long night would be a huge issue.